The Title Race - 2021/22

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll bet you're a laugh at parties ;)

I'll believe this team can do it until they physically can't because they've dropped too many points. On your last point about needing "progress" in Europe - we've done what we need to do. We've been to a CL final. The last hurdle of actually winning it is a bit of a lottery and is more about the team's mentality on the night than any other thing. I also think the intensity of chasing something like 100 points will help in the CL performances. Winning breeds winning.

To reach the CL final we will have to beat over two games the likes of Bayern, Liverpool, Chelsea and PSG, maybe 2 of those teams. Pep won't risk the CL in order to win more points in the league. We have 18 outfield players including Palmer. If/when we reach CL games vs Bayern or Liverpool in April and May, Pep will rotate many players, especially Rodri, Bernardo, Walker, Foden.... Also, we'll field strong teams in the FA Cup. Remember, we lost from 10 man Leeds last season, and we had a bigger squad back then. The same, i.e., unexpected draws and losses, are likely to happen in the league this season. Hopefully we'll have secured the league by then.

Last edited:
As I said in an earlier post, I feel 100 points is almost certainly a once in a generation event. It happened when we exited both the CL and FA Cup early and there were no diversions to prevent us from relentlessly pursuing a record breaking points total.

Winning the league is winning the league, whether you win it by 1 point or 30. Breaking the points record is great, but we already hold the record.

I'd rather see us win a double or, dare I say it, a treble. Another nice-to-have would be winning the league either against a rival (like Liverpool) or on a new ground like Elland Rd, so we can give them the 'we won the league on your ground' jibe in the online football banter universe.

A great move would be to pretend we've had a mass-COVID outbreak just before the Liverpool game (like they did recently) and get the game pushed back a few weeks to ensure we're either champions when we play them (guard of honour) or beat them to win it on the day.

Winning the league is winning the league, whether you win it by 1 point or 30. Breaking the points record is great, but we already hold the record.

I'd rather see us win a double or, dare I say it, a treble.

Agree with this. Think our only aim in the PL is to win it, with how many points is irrelevant.

Our team is fantastic, and we can dream about a double or treble.

But hopefully we won't become like those Liverpool fans, who in 19/20 were talking about finishing the season unbeaten, breaking our records, winning everything... A few wins and it's easy to get complacent. Watford of all teams brought them back to reality by beating them 3:0. And the rest of their season was a procession of losses.

Pep reminds us in every interview about the importance of staying humble, and I think he means everybody related to the club in some capacity, and not just the players.

Last edited:
The clubs eyes are on champs league & players will be rested at some point for this. I imagine the gap between us and Liverpool will reduce but by what margin will depend on champs league. City will take league by 1 point if chances of champs league look good.

Perhaps said already, but there's IMO a big difference between how many are needed (as in the thread title) and how many we will get.

I think we'll get mid 90's but I don't see Liverpool or Chelsea getting more than high 80's maybe mid 80's. I think we'll win it by 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.