The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are doing to us what we did to Liverpool.

Going on an unbeaten run, scoring last minute winners, and grinding out results.

Apart from a good Rashford goal, a Ramsdale mistake, it was all Arsenal. How the f*ck did the Rags beat us?

Unless we take 6 points off Arsenal, continue winning, and Arsenal slip up again, the title is over.

No I haven’t given up on the title, I’m just being honest.
We were cheated then conceded a goal which wouldn’t have happened if we hadn’t been cheated!

At this point, I'm hoping the possibility of catching Arsenal keeps the players motivated and helps avoid complacency. If we have an extremely strong second half to the season and still finish second, then so be it.

Can City win the league?

The last time Arsenal were league leaders and looked as convincing as now was in the 2007/08 season, when they had 47 points after 20 games (they now have 50 points after 19 games). After leading the league for two thirds of the season and going into mid february with a 5 point lead, they ended up in 3rd with 83 points, four behind United who won. Chelsea were 6 points behind Arsenal after 20 games, but ended up 2 points ahead in 2nd place. Moreover: Every team with 50+ points after 19 games in PL history has had a weaker 2nd half of the season. Its therefore not totally unrealistic for us to hope they drop more points in the next 19 games. Likewise, there are plenty of examples of teams having a weaker first half of a season, and then being much stronger in the last 19 games.

Liverpool in 18/19 had 51 points after 19 games, we were 7 points behind at 44. So quite a similar situation. However, we won 18 of the last 19 games (absolutely crazy good) to turn it around. I dont think we are as good as in 18/19, but i also dont think Arsenal are as good as Liverpool were in 18/19 either. They are an impressive young team that has grown with the confidence from each victory. However, they are unexperienced. Liverpool of 18/19 had been in the CL final the season before, Arsenal were not even in europe last season, and they crumbled in the run in for 4th place. While they are much better this season, i dont think they will beat City in a title race if we are in touching distance (0-6 points) in the last 10 games of the season.

This leads me to think that its all on City. The signs in the last two games have been very encouraging: a comeback win vs Spurs, Pep ranting against complacency, the team responding with our best 90 min performance in several months, and several players returning to form (Haaland, KDB, Mahrez, Grealish etc.) The crucial thing now is that the gap does not get wider in the next 3 games (Spurs, Villa, Arsenal). As we are still yet to play against Arsenal, i think its an advantage for us to play them in the cup next week before we face them in the league. Its likely that both teams will line up close to their strongest 11, so Pep will get to see the level between the two teams. In the league we need at least 4 points against them. Should we win at The Emirates though, the title will swing massively in our favour. Lets hope that this week was the start of our comeback. Come on City!

Last edited:
Is it a given that Arsenal will win their games before our game with them? No, it isn't. We drew games with Everton (h), Huddersfield (h) and Burnley (a) when we won 100 pts. Arsenal will drop points when people don't expect it.

Think we are going to win the title even if we don't beat them twice. The aim now is to stay in the title race. Stay in the race in February and get closer to them in March and April. If we are 2 pts off the top after the game with Arsenal in April, we'll have an excellent chance to win the league.

Spot on. Arsenal are playing brilliantly but are pushing a small squad hard. They’ve played the same 11 a lot, they may well have an effect later in the season. Arsenal hope that their current form will give them enough distance from us so the inevitable tricky patch won’t make it competitive. We just have stay in touch for the moment.

Can City win the league?

The last time Arsenal were league leaders and looked as convincing as now was in the 2007/08 season, when they had 47 points after 20 games (they now have 50 points after 19 games). After leading the league for two thirds of the season and going into mid february with a 5 point lead, they ended up in 3rd with 83 points, four behind United who won. Chelsea were 6 points behind Arsenal after 20 games, but ended up 2 points ahead in 2nd place. Moreover: Every team with 50+ points after 19 games in PL history has had a weaker 2nd half of the season. Its therefore not totally unrealistic for us to hope they drop more points in the next 19 games. Likewise, there are plenty of examples of teams having a weaker first half of a season, and then being much stronger in the last 19 games.

Liverpool in 18/19 had 51 points after 19 games, we were 7 points behind at 44. So quite a similar situation. However, we won 18 of the last 19 games (absolutely crazy good) to turn it around. I dont think we are as good as in 18/19, but i also dont think Arsenal are as good as Liverpool were in 18/19 either. They are an impressive young team that has grown with the confidence from each victory. However, they are unexperienced. Liverpool of 18/19 had been in the CL final the season before, Arsenal were not even in europe last season, and they crumbled in the run in for 4th place. While they are much better this season, i dont think they will beat City in a title race if we are in touching distance (0-6 points) in the last 10 games of the season.

This leads me to think that its all on City. The signs in the last two games have been very encouraging: a comeback win vs Spurs, Pep ranting against complacency, the team responding with our best 90 min performance in several months, and several players returning to form (Haaland, KDB, Mahrez, Grealish etc.) The crucial thing now is that the gap does not get wider in the next 3 games (Spurs, Villa, Arsenal). As we are still yet to play against Arsenal, i think its an advantage for us to play them in the cup next week before we face them in the league. Its likely that both teams will line up close to their strongest 11, so Pep will get to see the level between the two teams. In the league we need at least 4 points against them. Should we win at The Emirates though, the title will swing massively in our favour. Lets hope that this week was the start of our comeback. Come on City!

Spot on.

Take Newcastle in 95/96. Were on course to 90 pts after the first 19 games and finished on...78 pts. Such things happen.

The same people saying it’s over are the same people who would be saying it is far from over if the positions were reversed. Just negative, pessimistic, depressed individuals.
Im not one who thinks its over, IF we beat Spurs away then its game on! But you cant blame people for saying it as it is, right now Arsenal are on a wave full of confidence playing thier hearts out. We still look like we're playing within ourselves and its clear the PL have an agenda, 3 Incorrect VAR decisions againts us in 3 consecutive games, thats the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.