The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
93 + 86 + 99 + 98 + 100 / 5 = 95.2

And not claiming anything is certain. Just that I think people forget how hard it is to regularly score 90+ points is, and that until someone other than Klopp or Pep does it I'm going to assume they can't.

There's an element of "prove me wrong here". If Arteta does it then good for him.

That is the average points scored by the league winners, not the average points needed to win the league - two different things.

I agree in principle though, scoring over 90 pts in a season requires machine-like levels of consistency which takes time to build. It is especially hard because you necessarily have to regularly beat the teams around you. That is what's yet to be seen from this Arsenal team. Maybe they can do it, but I do think the odds are low.

That is the average points scored by the league winners, not the average points needed to win the league - two different things.
If Arsenal want to win the league then I'd recommend they aim for the points total that the winners of the league have hit in the past five years not 1 point more than second place!

93 + 86 + 99 + 98 + 100 / 5 = 95.2

And not claiming anything is certain. Just that I think people forget how hard it is to regularly score 90+ points is, and that until someone other than Klopp or Pep does it I'm going to assume they can't.

There's an element of "prove me wrong here". If Arteta does it then good for him.

Ah, it is a wording thing. You said average points needed to win it, not points the winner eventually had. Which I took as the second placed points plus 1. That averages at 86, and is really skewed up by the 98 point season.
It was only close 2 seasons, the rest there was a fairly bug gap and 85ish points would have been enough.

Ah, it is a wording thing. You said average points needed to win it, not points the winner eventually had. Which I took as the second placed points plus 1. That averages at 86, and is really skewed up by the 98 point season.
It was only close 2 seasons, the rest there was a fairly bug gap and 85ish points would have been enough.
Right I see. I think it's a nice way of thinking about points total when you're City or Liverpool (once) and you're reflecting on how much you won the league by, but from the perspective of Arsenal 85 points would never have won you the league.

Right I see. I think it's a nice way of thinking about points total when you're City or Liverpool (once) and you're reflecting on how much you won the league by, but from the perspective of Arsenal 85 points would never have won you the league.

Yeah I responded before I saw your previous post above.

As I said, it was a wording thing. I get your point now and it is a fair one.

Last edited:
I still think we get over 90, I'm half tempted to say an unbeaten league campaign, I just feel like with Haaland on the pitch we can chase any deficit.

I don't think any other team gets over 90 points, Liverpool are the only current team that knows how to do it and they're miles off of the pace.

I still think we get over 90, I'm half tempted to say an unbeaten league campaign, I just feel like with Haaland on the pitch we can chase any deficit.

I don't think any other team gets over 90 points, Liverpool are the only current team that knows how to do it and they're miles off of the pace.

Agree 88 points be enough just because Liverpool can have a 10 game winning streak

I originally said 85-89 but I’m starting to think this may be a one-off old school type season where mid 80s might possibly be comfortably enough.
The World Cup means comparisons with recent seasons aren’t that relevant. The amount of games that need cramming into far fewer weeks than usual is a big factor for all the teams with European football to deal with plus nobody knows the impact the WC itself is going to have - some teams will be a lot luckier than others in terms of how deep into the tournament their players progress and end up missing games over Christmas.
I could of course be totally wrong and over 90 might be needed again but if there’s going to be a season when that doesn’t apply, I think this is the one.

I originally said 85-89 but I’m starting to think this may be a one-off old school type season where mid 80s might possibly be comfortably enough.
The World Cup means comparisons with recent seasons aren’t that relevant. The amount of games that need cramming into far fewer weeks than usual is a big factor for all the teams with European football to deal with plus nobody knows the impact the WC itself is going to have - some teams will be a lot luckier than others in terms of how deep into the tournament their players progress and end up missing games over Christmas.
I could of course be totally wrong and over 90 might be needed again but if there’s going to be a season when that doesn’t apply, I think this is the one.

If it’s 80 points a lot more teams will be in the mix spurs definitely

No chance we go unbeaten in a very congested season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.