The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are averaging 89-90 pts under Pep and are on course to 89 pts. I think we improved the squad from last season (it may be our best squad ever, the 18/19 squad was great but Ferna was 34, Kompany 33, David 32, Sergio 31...I'd rather have Rodri, Dias, Haaland, Alvarez, Grealish, Foden and Cancelo than their counterparts from 18/19, but time will tell, might be wrong here).

In a normal season we were likely to get above 90 pts. But the season will be more difficult than a normal one. So, we are not likely to get over 93 pts, but are not likely to drop below 86 pts either, imo, injuries permitting.

It's all about probabilities, nothing is set in stone.
Our defence is not clicking atm and we need to get it sorted as we will continue to drop more points .

Our defence is not clicking atm and we need to get it sorted as we will continue to drop more points .

Virtually all defenders finished last season injured. Laporte is still injured. We'll click at some point and will have many clean sheets, provided we need them...Think we've conceded fewer chances than any PL team in spite of the form of the defensive players and Rodri. And we are likely to improve at some point.

The defence is only a problem when the forwards don’t keep the ball and we get turned over leaving the back line and goalkeeper exposed to 1 v 1 situations where the attacker knows they must take the 1 chance and many do just that.

Defend from the front is pep’s Moto. The lack of clinical finishes exposed a few issues with game management. Bernie went off for Mahrez instead of Alvarez. The press suffered.Foden played like he was told by pep which is the same as Jack on the left but he did not perform to a decent level. His form is not good atm.

The midfield was overrun, the boss should of moved Phil or Bernie in to help Rodri. Over the years when Gundo is in the middle we leave Rodri badly exposed and again same issue. I would love to know why pep did not make the necessary adjustments. He has a habit of playing players but sacrificing the system.

Lot of small issues yesterday as a result of pep’s decisions. The players not taking their chances highlighted the flaws in decision making from the boss right down to the players.

The defence is the same as last season but the team as a whole is not keeping and recycling the ball as efficient as we can. We have work to do. Haaland will keep scoring but the rest need to get up to speed quickly.

While our passing is not at the high levels set I would rather sacrifice a Gundo/Kev player in the middle and start games with Foden and Bernie in midfield. Bring them on if we can’t score. Outfought by a desperate team yesterday. Running and scrapping is essential in these games. Fine margin, we take our chances and it would not have been noticed.

Last edited:
We are averaging 89-90 pts under Pep and are on course to 89 pts. I think we improved the squad from last season (it may be our best squad ever, the 18/19 squad was great but Ferna finished the season 34, Kompany 33, David 33, Sergio 31...I'd rather have Rodri, Dias, Haaland, Alvarez, Grealish, Foden and Cancelo than their counterparts from 18/19, but time will tell, might be wrong here: the 18/19 squad won the domestic quadruple!!).

In a normal season, we were likely to get above 90 pts. But the season will be more difficult than a normal one. So, we are not likely to get over 93 pts, but are not likely to drop below 86 pts either, imo, injuries permitting.

It's all about probabilities, nothing is set in stone.
Also imagine a scenario where say KDB gets unfairly sent off in the final v Brazil...(meeja pressure for Brazil to win) suffers depression.. not unfathomable..Foden misses a sitter in quarters becomes English scape goat goes into his shell... terrible injury group stage to one our key CH's ..all could happen to any team but we have more key players = more chance. Unlucky, yes but WC could be a disaster or could be great for us. Who knows?

The defence is only a problem when the forwards don’t keep the ball and we get turned over leaving the back line and goalkeeper exposed to 1 v 1 situations where the attacker knows they must take the 1 chance and many do just that.

Defend from the front is pep’s Moto. The lack of clinical finishes exposed a few issues with game management. Bernie went off for Mahrez instead of Alvarez. The press suffered.Foden played like he was told by pep which is the same as Jack on the left but he did not perform to a decent level. His form is not good atm.

The midfield was overrun, the boss should of moved Phil or Bernie in to help Rodri. Over the years when Gundo is in the middle we leave Rodri badly exposed and again same issue. I would love to know why pep did not make the necessary adjustments. He has a habit of playing players but sacrificing the system.

Lot of small issues yesterday as a result of pep’s decisions. The players not taking their chances highlighted the flaws in decision making from the boss right down to the players.

The defence is the same as last season but the team as a whole is not keeping and recycling the ball as efficient as we can. We have work to do. Haaland will keep scoring but the rest need to get up to speed quickly.
I think Villa CM over achieved and surprised us. We underestimated them as their CM has been poor early games. So..we risked Gundo from the off.. he and Rodri quite rightly got done

Walker free strije at goal .. so much time.. really would have changed eveything if we scored then.

I think Villa CM over achieved and surprised us. We underestimated them as their CM has been poor early games. So..we risked Gundo from the off.. he and Rodri quite rightly got done
Yep.

The midfield should have been changed to incorporate the runners and fighters. It was bypassed all game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.