The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe so.

Which was when quite a few on here began abusing those of us that maintained that the title chase was not over, reminded others that we had recovered from more difficult positions, and predicted that Arsenal were going to stumble at some point.
So you are saying that some posters are rather reactionary and tend to post the first thing that comes into their heads?

It's how this forum (and others) roll

I believe so.

Which was when quite a few on here began abusing those of us that maintained that the title chase was not over, reminded others that we had recovered from more difficult positions, and predicted that Arsenal were going to stumble at some point.

There was a less balanced side and some odd takes to that as well, which didn't help the level headed comments.

I loved the scenes if the 2012 one. Loved them. The guy droppong on his knees in tears, the oldyin walking round on his own just soaking it in, the general euphoria and shock of it all, after years of waiting.

I didn't really like last year's one, with the main imagery being selfie takers, youths breaking the goals, getting in rival players faces and way etc. But I can also get the low to high of 2-0 to 3-2, particularly given how tight that end run-in was and the build-up over the season.

This year, if we go on to win it against Chelsea, it would to me feel like a pre decided token gesture for which there is no real need imo. The edge isn't the same, the wait is certainly not the same.

Plus, after last year there have been warnings and a lot said, surely we can be bigger than trying to piss on everything 'of the establishment'. We already boo the uefa anthem, we have the charges to get fucked, do we really need another distraction to what this team is achieving. Plus, if we are embracing this image of being serial winners and the greatest side in recent and not so recent history, a consecitive pre planned pitch invasion doesn't exactly reinforce that.

Yeah, dead on. Pitch invasions are great when it's a release of euphoria and emotion. There isn't the jeopardy on sunday for the emotion and nerves to be that high.

It's not something you should plan. Going on the pitch on Sunday would be akin celebrating a mid-season 4th goal against a mid table side in the same way you celebrated the Aguero moment.

I said in the Everton pre-match thread that I found Arteta's pre-match comments really interesting. He talked about the Newcastle game as if it was pivotal and then suggested the Brighton game would take them a step closer to the title. I think he believed we'd drop points against Everton and that, having beaten Newcastle, they'd go and win their remaining games and still had a shout of the title.

Reverse things and Pep's response would have been "Newcastle is a great opponent so to win there was incredible, but it's just one game and now we have another tough one and after that another tough one and another tough one". He wouldn't have said anything about the title other than "it's in their hands, I think they'll win all of their games and all we can do is win ours and see".

Arteta didn't do any of that. It was all very hopeful but pinned on our game at Goodison. He mentioned being a step closer if they won. Maybe I'm reading too much into the semantics but I do think he had expected us to drop points, the team also had that mentality and when we didn't they just didn't have it in them to fight.

There were many on here nervous about Everton. Their home form is shite. Brighton's away form in excellent. It was always going to be a much harder weekend for them than us.
From an Arsenal perspective I would have been looking at the Everton game pinned between the 2 madrid games as the game City would drop points but would also be looking at a tricky midweek fixture at Brighton as another risky game. In reality they needed us to come unstuck in 2 games and after Everton thumped Brighton and we comfortably blew away Everton they have folded like a cheap suit. Surprised as I thought they had more character but just reinforces the fact we now have an added advantage over most domestics sides with teams believing we can't be stopped.

From our perspective I think we have managed the games fantastically without overexerting ourselves against either Madrid or Everton. Got the results we needed without having to throw the kitchen sink at it. Madrid on Wednesday night will be different as it will be handbrake off and go for the throat.

Agree, especially the last bit, which I spent the past week explaining in excruciating detail on various threads.

You get a lot of people on here, and I've been guilty in previous years, who think that expressing confidence on here could come back to bite them so they remain cautious and "one game at a time" in their approach.

If they do they will need stewards that don’t just step aside and let people on.
Last season I was chatting to a Steward as I walked from 10 Acres for the last game.

Said his job was to stand an protect the goal at the SS end...that went well!!!!

As you say whoever is employed needs to stay at their spot, trouble is employ rags and potential fights, employ blues and they'll just join in the celebrations.

Realistically it's over and not a QPR/Villa type affair so although we'll all be bouncing it's a more 'chilled' day and hopefully fans will be sensable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.