The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way we become title contenders again is to beat Arsenal twice (would put us within 2 pts of them presuming they win tomorrow - which of course they might not).

Our overall performances would have to improve drastically however and we would have to be near perfect (which we have been in the past but we are no where near that level at present)

something about City seems off. Even earlier on in the season when people were talking about City, they were being cited as perhaps the best PL team in history. I think as Haaland was breaking records left right centre. But despite this your goal difference is only 2 above us (and we are a team many pundits are still not convinced by).

Some of my takes that can explain the current league table. Some will not be popular mind you.

1. Arsenals pairing of Saliba and Gabriel is the best centre half pairing int he league. Both young, quick athletes playing in a natural LCB RCB pairing and with no rotation they vibe and have an understanding playing together week to week. Contrast to the amount of different pairings Pep utilizes, its one thing to have squad depth, but there are disadvantages to having a different pairing every game. City would be better if Pep picks his best pairing and plays them week to week.

2. No real pace on the flanks, no wide forwards who like to dribble and pass their man. Grealish, Mahrez and Foden dont relish being one on one with their opposite marker. They dont drive forward and attack the goal. Saka and Martinelli by contrast relish trying to take their man on and drive into the box.

3. fullback options. I think our collective options at fullback White/Tomiyasu Zinchenko/Tierney are better than yours, aided by the fact Cancelo is out of form and Walker is 33.

4. Haaland has made you more one dimensional. Does not get involved in the buildup and is only there for the end of the move. Weve seen Liverpool have success with a non-prolific Firmino, and we did well with Jesus and still consider him critical to our play. Yourselves used to win all the time without a striker at all.

Final take, most controversial of all. I reckon our first team is better than yours, mainly due to the fact every player in our first team is built for the position they play in. Where as Foden for instance is more of a midfielder but gets played as a left forward. Foden isnt a better left forward than Martinelli.

something about City seems off. Even earlier on in the season when people were talking about City, they were being cited as perhaps the best PL team in history. I think as Haaland was breaking records left right centre. But despite this your goal difference is only 2 above us (and we are a team many pundits are still not convinced by).

Some of my takes that can explain the current league table. Some will not be popular mind you.

1. Arsenals pairing of Saliba and Gabriel is the best centre half pairing int he league. Both young, quick athletes playing in a natural LCB RCB pairing and with no rotation they vibe and have an understanding playing together week to week. Contrast to the amount of different pairings Pep utilizes, its one thing to have squad depth, but there are disadvantages to having a different pairing every game. City would be better if Pep picks his best pairing and plays them week to week.

2. No real pace on the flanks, no wide forwards who like to dribble and pass their man. Grealish, Mahrez and Foden dont relish being one on one with their opposite marker. They dont drive forward and attack the goal. Saka and Martinelli by contrast relish trying to take their man on and drive into the box.

3. fullback options. I think our collective options at fullback White/Tomiyasu Zinchenko/Tierney are better than yours, aided by the fact Cancelo is out of form and Walker is 33.

4. Haaland has made you more one dimensional. Does not get involved in the buildup and is only there for the end of the move. Weve seen Liverpool have success with a non-prolific Firmino, and we did well with Jesus and still consider him critical to our play. Yourselves used to win all the time without a striker at all.

Final take, most controversial of all. I reckon our first team is better than yours, mainly due to the fact every player in our first team is built for the position they play in. Where as Foden for instance is more of a midfielder but gets played as a left forward. Foden isnt a better left forward than Martinelli.
You’re missing the simple point that we’re going for 3 titles on the bounce and there’s a reason that hardly ever happens. It was the same the last time we were going for three in a row (Liverpool won the league) and we were lacking in hunger and desire compared to them. It’s the same now. Then losing the title gives us the hunger again and then we’ll be strong again for a bit. It’s very hard to keep going at the same level in the league when you’ve won the last two.

You’re missing the simple point that we’re going for 3 titles on the bounce and there’s a reason that hardly ever happens. It was the same the last time we were going for three in a row (Liverpool won the league) and we were lacking in hunger and desire compared to them. It’s the same now. Then losing the title gives us the hunger again and then we’ll be strong again for a bit. It’s very hard to keep going at the same level in the league when you’ve won the last two.
Yeah that too.

The only way we become title contenders again is to beat Arsenal twice (would put us within 2 pts of them presuming they win tomorrow - which of course they might not).

Our overall performances would have to improve drastically however and we would have to be near perfect (which we have been in the past but we are no where near that level at present)
I get your point here. But if arsenal don't beat spurs tommorow and actually loose and we win our following 2 against spurs and wolves big if we'd actually be top before they play United.

Some valid points, but you're missing the big one, we're not playing well, like really poor, we're a team full of superstars. We have been there and done it, you're decent, but pressure does strange things, first test for you as favourites tomorrow. Hows That pressure feel?

1. I don't think you've got the best cb pairing personally I feel Newcastle with having the best defensive record has. The issue not being mentioned is the injuries weve had in defence which has unabled us to actually pick our best back 4.

2. You mention pace. With it being arsenal's first title challenge in years teams are more open against you. So pace matters it's less so when teams play blocks of 10. Yes we're missing an alternative but I wouldn't really say.

3. I think (not just you) but a few I've seen are saying it's due to haaland it not it's due to the form of keV and foden. Haaland isn't an issue we won two title with a striker btw under pep. It's easy to point the finger at haaland but this is about form and confidence and maybe even motivation

Also your controversial point sound like Liverpool fans use to. Your teams suddenly better than a team thats won 4 out the last 5 titles yes were not on form and you guys are playing out your skin to be where you are. The mere fact that we're still within touching distance of you guys and if you guys don't beat spurs tommorow which is probable given the home team usually wins the NLD city could be above you by the next time u play.

Arsenal have been very fortunate that they've had next to no injuries. And city aren't playing great form wise.

Some valid points, but you're missing the big one, we're not playing well, like really poor, we're a team full of superstars. We have been there and done it, you're decent, but pressure does strange things, first test for you as favourites tomorrow. Hows That pressure feel?
And if they don't win against spurs and we win against spurs and wolves. Imagine the pressure arsenal's under to beat United who with a win themselves will put them level on points with arsenal providing United beat palace... Tommorows game is going to be really interesting especially as spurs usually get a result at home in NLD

And if they don't win against spurs and we win against spurs and wolves. Imagine the pressure arsenal's under to beat United who with a win themselves will put them level on points with arsenal providing United beat palace... Tommorows game is going to be really interesting especially as spurs usually get a result at home in NLD
Exactly pressure! We can handle it we've proven it time and time again, they've got to show they can now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.