The Title Race - 2023/24

How many points will be needed to win the league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It’s not though, is it? It’s your perspective. To be realistic it surely has to be rooted in logic and reason.

So tell me, rooted in logic and reason, as resigning Champions, why we can’t make a five point deficit up in 21 games. Not based on your gut feeling about why the squad isn’t performing, or the fact that something’s missing, but something tangible.

Only then can it be possibly characterised as realistic.

I’m all ears.

Our squad is objectively far weaker, with one exception our new signings are looking like duds, and we sold our best player for a start.

In my opinion Gundogan has been our best player for several years.
Great player? Yes certainly. And I agree I would have preferred him to stay, but the club have to think medium to long term even at a risk to the short term. It’s worked fine in the past and will again.

But losing one player wouldn’t or shouldn’t make such a difference in a team like ours. It should also be remembered that he struggled at the beginning of his career at City too, it’s just what happens with great teams. Players leave and you try to replace them but surely you have to give the replacements time to find their feet too?

Be positive, blue.

What I thought would be a 6pt gap is a 5pt gap with the dippers failing to get the win yesterday, so a minor positive from our weekend. They play each other while we are away so a draw there sees the gap extended to 6pts and we'll have a game in hand. Win that, it's down to 3pts.

What's done is done. We've been awful at seeing games through, but it took until the new year for us to find consistency last season and if we can then there's no reason we can't win it still. None of our rivals look capable of putting long winning runs together and sailing into the sunset. Liverpool lose Salah for a period. Arsenal are Arsenal. Whilst we can't expect to go on a winning run again, Pep's shown that we do tend to go up a gear and there's no reason to doubt we will again.

Instead of title I think we need to start thinking about points.

So far 17 games 34 points and 21 games left!

Right now I'd be thrilled with getting 90 points (56 out of 63 remaining) but we might actually be closer to 76-80.
We ain’t getting 90 points, be realistic. We’ll be closer to 80 than 90

Think you could be right. I don’t think Liverpool or Arsenal are that great though. We will need to be near perfect and a win at Klanfield and against Arsenal at home are absolute musts. Also will likely need to win at St James and Spurs.
Ha when you put it like that

Our squad is objectively far weaker, with one exception our new signings are looking like duds, and we sold our best player for a start.
We sold Kev? When did that happen?

Don’t see how your post even begins to address your claim of being in possession of reality, which btw implies anyone who doesn’t share your view is not.

You have simply stated three opinions, which conspicuously ignore the lessons of the past, both in terms of individuals and the time they nearly always take to adjust and bed in, and the mental resolve of teams under Pep.

I‘m not even saying we will definitely win it btw, I just saying we absolutely can and it wouldn’t remotely surprise me if we did. You are saying it will definitely not happen under any circumstances.

I’ll let others decide who has the strongest grip on reality.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.