The Title Race - 2023/24

How many points will be needed to win the league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Great player? Yes certainly. And I agree I would have preferred him to stay, but the club have to think medium to long term even at a risk to the short term. It’s worked fine in the past and will again.

But losing one player wouldn’t or shouldn’t make such a difference in a team like ours. It should also be remembered that he struggled at the beginning of his career at City too, it’s just what happens with great teams. Players leave and you try to replace them but surely you have to give the replacements time to find their feet too?

Be positive, blue.
Agree. And he was peripheral for a lot of his time with us. Injuries were part of that but we managed just fine without him.

This is all about opinion.

I’m entitled to mine and you’re entitled to yours.

In previous seasons - last year for example - there was a clear sense of what the team were trying to do, and a sense that it would eventually ‘click’. I just don’t get that this year, and our squad is also far weaker.

I don’t like to predict things based on blind hope and optimism.

And much like investing in the stock market, part performances are no indication of future results.

That's fundamentally not true. We drew against Everton on NYE and the same problems existed as had been there all season up to that point. Lots of chances, and then cut through like a hot knife through butter. Then we won at Chelsea without looking very threatening before being robbed at the swamp. We were 2-0 down at home to Spurs before coming back and still looked likely to concede every time Spurs were in our half. We lost away at Spurs. But then things started to click and we won 14 of 15, including 12 in a row after the draw at Forest.

But there was still a lot of chopping and changing in that period. There was no real "click" in terms of lineup or formation. The Stones into midfield play came in quite late. He'd been injured in Jan and Feb iirc and in and out of the team. We'd tried all sorts of different combinations in that time.

Whilst we might not get our act together, I wouldn't say we're any different this season to last and we have had injuries/suspensions which were less of an excuse last campaign. It's too early to judge our signings. Fundamentally the fault doesn't lie with those players. We've been heading to a point at Arsenal, winning against Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs and Palace costing us 9pts. It's just a lack of control late on, which is easily fixed. We were dominant for large periods against Liverpool, Spurs and Palace.

Congratulations, you win a gold star.

My point remains. He was our best player *in my opinion*.

Have you not seen the cavernous Gundogan-shaped hole in our team this season?
We have to suck it up with regards to transfers. We were suckered because Bellingham and Gundogan wife were cunts who didn’t want Manchester City

This is all about opinion.

I’m entitled to mine and you’re entitled to yours.

In previous seasons - last year for example - there was a clear sense of what the team were trying to do, and a sense that it would eventually ‘click’. I just don’t get that this year, and our squad is also far weaker.

I don’t like to predict things based on blind hope and optimism.

And much like investing in the stock market, part performances are no indication of future results.
I'd probably refer yourself to the title race thread from this time last year, where is was quite clear that there were a large number on here that thought it certainly wouldn't click

And the rest is literally history...

I'd probably refer yourself to the title race thread from this time last year, where is was quite clear that there were a large number on here that thought it certainly wouldn't click

And the rest is literally history...

IMO this is a very different situation.

I obviously hope I’m proven completely wrong in May.

I believe we have a weaker squad this season. Especially with KDB being out for half of it. We haven't replaced Gundogan, Kovacic isn't anywhere near the player Gundog was for us. He just isnt that creative, hasn't scored a goal and infact I'm not sure why we even bought him. Clearly Nunes isn't good enough as yet as he doesn't get a start in a side that isn't performing. Doku is the only plus signing of the summer for me. With Haaland out we look impotent upfront. No one makes runs and only Foden is trying to play those clever little through balls that David Silva, KDB and Gundog did. Our defence also has costly mistakes in them every game.

All in all we look just like one of the other teams challenging for the top four. At times in games our attitude looks suspect, we aren't challenging for balls like we did last season, maybe it's just complacency , but to me we just don't look the same. Perhaps it s a lack of leader on the pitch, but something is a miss? I think we will safely qualify for top four but that's its this season league wise.

Debruyne will add leadership once he gets back. That will also improve our midfield. Who knows, kova and nunes could get better too. They’ve been here 3 months, I’m not expecting miracles. Defense is the big question for me. Need Ake on the left stones at cb
Problems at both corners of the defence if you ask me. Walker adds zero in the final third on the other end we have a liability defensively when Ake doesn't play. Sort out the defence get Kev back and we still have a chance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.