The Title Race - 2023/24

How many points will be needed to win the league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There’s no such thing as a Micky Mouse cup. It wasn’t a Micky Mouse cup when we won a joint record four in a row and six in eight years years, when we won an unprecedented domestic treble/quadruple with that as part of it and us proudly being the second most successful club in that competition.

Proper Rag malarkey calling the EFL Cup that, and belittles a number of our achievements.

It might not be as old or as famous as the FA Cup, but the EFL Cup is as big as any other domestic cup competition in other countries and has felt the same as winning the FA Cup whenever we’ve done it.

We’ve called all of our PL+EFLC joint wins ‘doubles’ when we’ve achieved that in 2013-14, 2018-19 and 2020-21. None of them are minor doubles, are they? We even had a line in a song saying it; ‘Sterling won the double, and the Scousers won fuck all’. And we proudly say that we were the first club in English football history to win a domestic and European trophy double when we won the League Cup and European Cup Winners’ Cup in 1969-70.

So we don’t have to be insecure and can call Liverpool’s 1983-84 First Division, European Cup and League Cup wins a treble n’all. It also dispels the myth that United were the first to win a treble.
For the most part I completely agree. But I don’t think you can claim the EFL Cup is every bit as large as the other trophies. There is a hierarchy. But I certainly wouldn’t belittle it. There are four pots up for grabs (as far as I’m concerned, I do belittle The Community Shield). Winning any one of them is great.
In fact The Carabao Cup represents the difference between us and The Rags during their successes. They did treat it with some disdain whilst City / Pep openly state they want to win every trophy they can. Last season I watched West Ham United win a relatively new European trophy. I watched Bolton Wanderers win the League Trophy. Tell those fans their pot doesn’t matter. If Arsenal can celebrate winning The Community Shield like they did then I would suggest there’s a disconnect between what fans say and what they believe. Even I have to concede that maybe my downer on The Community Shield is that it’s a game we usually arrive undercooked for.
Of all City’s successes at the new Wembley, The Carabao Cup win over Sunderland is possibly my favourite.

I think both Liverpool and Chelsea have had much better starts too. Winning 8/9 in a row.
Had a quick look and you're right. The record for most wins at the start of a PL season is 9.

Teams that won the first 9 games:
Chelsea (2005/06)

Teams that won the first 8 games:
Chelsea (2005/06)
Liverpool (2019/20)

Teams that won their first 7 games:
Chelsea (2005/06)
Liverpool (2019/20)

Teams that won the first 6 games:
Newcastle (1994/95)
Chelsea (2005/06)
Chelsea (2009/10)
Manchester City (2016/17)
Liverpool (2018/19)
Liverpool (2019/20)

For the most part I completely agree. But I don’t think you can claim the EFL Cup is every bit as large as the other trophies. There is a hierarchy. But I certainly wouldn’t belittle it. There are four pots up for grabs (as far as I’m concerned, I do belittle The Community Shield). Winning any one of them is great.
In fact The Carabao Cup represents the difference between us and The Rags during their successes. They did treat it with some disdain whilst City / Pep openly state they want to win every trophy they can. Last season I watched West Ham United win a relatively new European trophy. I watched Bolton Wanderers win the League Trophy. Tell those fans their pot doesn’t matter. If Arsenal can celebrate winning The Community Shield like they did then I would suggest there’s a disconnect between what fans say and what they believe. Even I have to concede that maybe my downer on The Community Shield is that it’s a game we usually arrive undercooked for.
Of all City’s successes at the new Wembley, The Carabao Cup win over Sunderland is possibly my favourite.

The win against Watford for me.

Had a quick look and you're right. The record for most wins at the start of a PL season is 9.

Teams that won the first 9 games:
Chelsea (2005/06)

Teams that won the first 8 games:
Chelsea (2005/06)
Liverpool (2019/20)

Teams that won their first 7 games:
Chelsea (2005/06)
Liverpool (2019/20)

Teams that won the first 6 games:
Newcastle (1994/95)
Chelsea (2005/06)
Chelsea (2009/10)
Manchester City (2016/17)
Liverpool (2018/19)
Liverpool (2019/20)
So only the NU, MC and Lpool 18.19 didn't win it.

NU were nowhere in 95, I am surprised they started that well, wouldn't have guessed.

If we beat Forest next week. 18 points from first 6 games. We need 82 points from 32 games to be centurions again. 26 wins 4 draws 2 defeats. That looks more than possible again to me based on what I have seen so far this season.

Be amazed if we don’t get 90 points which would require 72 more. Let’s say 23 wins 3 draws and 6 defeats! That’s not happening. This team won’t lose 6 league games.
Always say you don't know

Normally we would be be behind teams playing catch up after the new year and still win the league.

If we are ahead in January with KDB back they may as well just give up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.