The Title Race - 2023/24

How many points will be needed to win the league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't understand the perspective that we've had poor transfers or stupid results. We lost to Brentford and drew at home with Everton last season. This year we've actually played well in pretty much every game but had late goals conceded to cost points. In previous campaigns we've been flat and not got results. It's no different.

In terms of transfers, the fact De Bruyne, Haaland, Stones, Grealish have been out for long parts as well as Rodri being suspended for 4 games yet are where we are surely means the transfers have been good and the squad is doing an excellent job? Factor in Gundo and Mahrez leaving and it's staggering we're still fighting on all fronts really all things considered.
Yeah agree. Watching the Netflix treble documentary reminded me that last year was far from a stroll with some really poor results. But it all turned out alright in the end! Here’s to the same this time out!

Yeah agree. Watching the Netflix treble documentary reminded me that last year was far from a stroll with some really poor results. But it all turned out alright in the end! Here’s to the same this time out!
There were stretches in the middle part of last season where we were as poor as we have ever been under Pep. Goes to show what staying in the mix can do: no one will remember or care if you finish the season strongly. If Erling bags a few hattricks and scores a big goal tonight people will be talking about him as having a great season again.

There were stretches in the middle part of last season where we were as poor as we have ever been under Pep. Goes to show what staying in the mix can do: no one will remember or care if you finish the season strongly. If Erling bags a few hattricks and scores a big goal tonight people will be talking about him as having a great season again.

Tottenham away was utterly dire as was Utd away. Chelsea was awful too even though we won.

Well Liverpool will be happy with both last nights Champions League ties being in the balance still
And i'm going to stick my neck on the line, and write off United
Possible fixtures (with unknown dates last)

View attachment 113536
The Europa Semis are 2 legged as well. Not that it'll matter as Liverpool can rotate and wipe the floor with their side of the draw.

We now have a massive unthinkable decision to make . Do we have kdb dictating midfield or does foden do it instead ?

Ultimately Arsenal are in the best form. 1 draw and 10 wins in their last 11. Last lost on 31st December. 8 wins in a row at one point. But top on goal difference. Can they keep it going with the pressures of the CL. They don't rotate the CBs or Odegaard. Can they stay fit and in form right to the end?

The dippers have won 5 in a row all season. Dropping points at the swamp makes me question whether they can go and win 7. Van Dijk remains key. An injury for him and it could be costly. And they might actually have to pick a strong team in the Europa at some point. Can they manage to sustain their energy levels with a relatively new squad?

We've won 6 in a row. And went 9 wins and a draw in 10. Unbeaten since 6th December. 1pt off top and never really looking like the ruthless machine we've come to expect. What a position to be in. Not in our hands, but win all 7 and we should win the league. If we don't, fair play to whoever does. They'll have been made to work for it.

Injuries can cause issues too. We're going to Real with a depleted defence. We have Luton at home which hopefully means we can rotate and win. Arsenal play Villa, who whilst having the Europa Conference, will be a test for them to go again. They then go to Bayern before playing Wolves away and Chelsea at home.

And ultimately City need Rodri. Lose him and we're in trouble. A lot has to come together.

The fact we're in this position is unbelievable to be honest, and I'm relaxed and enjoying it. If we win fuck all, I'll just watch the documentary again. That's there forever and whilst I want more, losing Gundo and Mahrez and having a season with a lot of injuries and Rodri missing 4 league games which we failed to win is a fair excuse in my book.
Good post . If we don’t win anything this season I’m ok with that because come August we go again .

We now have a massive unthinkable decision to make . Do we have kdb dictating midfield or does foden do it instead ?

Potentially both. De Bruyne remains the best player to feed Haaland. But against Palace in the second half he was a lot deeper than usual. For his second goal he was playing similar to how Modric does for Real. Sat in a DM role just passing and moving across the back, spreading play but staying in a deeper area. Then Grealish was slid in and he saw the space to attack and scored.

He's not getting any younger and the pace and power he has to drive past people and setup/score may decline. But that doesn't mean he can't evolve into the role he played against Palace where he's a deeper playmaker. It's an evolution Madrid have been through with Kroos and Modric that's seen them continue to perform well despite being 34/38.

rodri - holding
berny on the right
grealish on the left
foden and kev - central

berny and grwalish can play inside while kev and foden can all drift out wide at times, makes for a confusingly fluid midfield attack

Woth kev getting on he plays the role Gundo did sitting deep when needed

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.