The Title Race - 2024/25

How many points to win the league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Truth is we don’t know how this title race will pan out. I was very confident after 3 games but now Rodri is out it would be foolish to keep the same opinion.

Newcastle game came at a good time as it shows the limitations to the Gundo/kova role. Against a lesser team we probably would have rolled them over and the opinion would be that we are grand without the best dm in world football.

If Pep can find the right solution I see no reason why we can’t win silverware. It won’t happen if we keep the same midfield as yesterday.

As for our challengers, let them crow about our injuries. If anything it shows that they don’t believe they can beat us in a 38 game season. So the door has been slightly left open, let’s hope they all slip up.

Come on Chelsea, sell another hotel and spend in January -:)

I think that’s a worthwhile point, but I would counter it with the fact that people always attribute ‘this’ season’s rationale to us falling short to a specific event, or events. Frequently a particular injury. More frequently some nebulous gut feeling that things are different this season. Players are always ageing. We also have some incredible youngsters coming through.

I accept the stats aren’t encouraging in terms of Rodri’s contribution, but there’s a difference between a tactical and strategic approach to his absence, and we will certainly have to adopt the latter, but to suggest it’s completely beyond this team and management to achieve that is preposterous.

The other factor that people seem to discount is the fact that Pep Guardiola is our manager. He is, quite simply, the greatest club manger in the history of the game, and to discount that, when we are unbeaten after six games, with the fit players that remain, is both absurd and disrespectful.

It will be a challenge without Rodri, but one I am confident we are likely to meet. If we don’t, then I can certainly live with that, but I’m certainly not throwing the towel in before September is at an end, and thankfully this group of players won’t either.

I agree with almost everything. Also, I was optimistic about our chances when we're sitting 13th in the table after a bad start in 20/21 and also after we lost to Villa last season, being then without both KDB and Haaland for 5-6 weeks.

This season, I'm not as optimistic as in previous seasons. Rodri held everything together. He was on the way of becoming one of the greatest DM ever: not as easy on the eye as, say, Busquets but much more complete in that he could do everything: from defending to attacking to scoring.

I don't write our chances off at all. Pep's the greatest and the best at solving problems. My hope is that the younger players will step up. I expect big things from Josko, Rico, Savinho, Bobb and Doku. Nunes and McAtee can hopefully get better too. What is certain that we won't throw in the towel. I expect us to be close to the top as I don't expect the winner to get over 85-86 pts.

Last edited:
The season is very reminiscent of 2019/20, at the very start of the season you lose a player for the whole year (then Sane), today Rodri, then you lose a super important player from the defense (Laporte) for a long period of time, today it could be KDB, and then we lost all hope before the new year even.
Still finished on 81 points that year which, if Liverpool hadn't run away with it, would have meant for a good title race anyway.

I agree with almost everything. Also, I was optimistic about our chances when we're sitting 13th in the table after a bad start in 20/21 and also after we lost to Villa last season, being then without both KDB and Haaland for 5-6 weeks.

This season, I'm not as optimistic as in previous seasons. Rodri held everything together. He was on the way of becoming one of the greatest DM ever: not as easy on the eye as, say, Busquets but much more complete in that he could do everything: from defending to attacking to scoring.

I don't write our chances off at all. Pep's the greatest and the best at solving problems. My hope is that the younger players will step up. I expect big things from Josko, Rico, Savinho, Bobb and Doku. Nunes and McAtee can hopefully get better too. What is certain that we won't throw in the towel. I expect us to be close to the top as I don't expect the winner to get over 85-86 pts.
Like you, I would say I’m not as optimistic as in the last few seasons, given the injury to Rodri, but that doesn’t mean I don’t think we can, and most likely will, do it again.

Caution is prudent given Rodri’s injury; capitulation is just nuts.

I’d say we’re pretty much on the same page.

Tickles me when people talk about the average age of our squad

Average age of the side yesterday, that included a 33 year old Gundogan and a 34 year old Walker?

28 years of age

Average age of the Arsenal side from yesterday?

27 years of age

I'll take the extra years worth of experience winning trophy after trophy, thankyou.

this thread shows why this country is in the state its in and that is because people literally never fucking learn, every single fucking season, liverpool and arsenal are winning it all in september, october and november etc etc without fail everyone gets giddy, the press says the things we all know they will say, city lose a player to injury , we lose a couple of games, peps lost it, we've been caught up, found out etc and then more often than not we win the league.

People NEVER EVER fucking learn.
and still we get kicked to pieces every game with all the fouls cheered by the likes of Gobber, Ratboy and the Missing Link.
images.jpg

Who did we buy that’s instantly gets Peps ways? Everyone knows it takes a season to get upto speed, unless Pep extends will Tixi blow money on a player the next manager doesn’t want? Lots of variables here, if Pep extends then he will definitely want back up for Rodri next season after this disaster, will he do it in January? I doubt it unless there’s someone out the blue who could come learn the ropes for six months then be ready next season whilst helping ou this season. If Pep decides he doesn’t then I do t think we blow any money until we know who’s replacing him or any January pre next season deals are done.

Zubimendi

Born and raised in the same football spirit that Pep Guardiola wants ,and played that way since like u13

Tickles me when people talk about the average age of our squad

Average age of the side yesterday, that included a 33 year old Gundogan and a 34 year old Walker?

28 years of age

Average age of the Arsenal side from yesterday?

27 years of age

I'll take the extra years worth of experience winning trophy after trophy, thankyou.
Look; you need to wake up and smell the Cappuccino. Common sense and logic has no place on this forum. Now; because I'm such a bloody nice fella, I'll let it pass. This time. But any reoccurence of such foolishness, and you'll be banned. Quick tip; go and listen to a few Leonard Cohen and/or M*******y songs. They'll put you in a more appropriate "miserable f***er" mood.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.