The Title Race - 2024/25

How many points to win the league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just watching the highlights from the Arsenal-Southampton game.

For all the talk of us being fortunate yesterday, bloody hell did Arsenal get away with it.

Southampton hit the woodwork three times and Arsenal's last goal was literally passed to Saka in the box by a Southampton player.

And that's Southampton. Who are fucking hopeless. Liverpool the bigger threat to our title this year imo.

My point being is that we currently have very few players in their prime years of 24-29 (see the ‘Midfield’ thread) compared to previous teams we’ve had where there were more players in their prime years.

Players in their prime are more consistent than younger players and are at their peak in terms of skill and ability coupled with fitness and athleticism which wanes as you get older. In midfield, especially (where games are won and lost), we have a large number of younger players and a large number of older players and now with Rodri out injured we only have one player aged 24-29 whereas you look at the age of the midfielders in 2011-12 or 2018-19, most were in their prime.

Also we are not generally slow starters. We’ve only started slowly under Pep in 2019-20 and 2020-21. We regularly start like a house on fire under Pep.

Ferna and David were 30+ in 2019. Gundo was 29.

The big difference is Rodri is out. Before his injury, I'd take this midfield over previous versions. Now, anyone who is not completely daft realizes it won't be easy to replace Rodri. Colossus of a player.

But there are potential surprises. We have several young players that can make big progress this season: Gvardiol, Lewis, Savinho, Bobb, Doku, Nunes, McAtee. Foden and Haaland are only 24, they can get better, too. Imagine that.

When we estimate the quality of the squad, we assume the young players will remain at the same level throughout the season. But it's enough 2-3 from them to be fantastic to make us highly competitive: say, Gvardiol, Savinho and Doku. Lewis, too.

Over thinking post!

You've gone back over 12 years picking out the best players from each season!

Early days and we are generally slow starters, unbeaten after playing some tricky games and lesser teams in great form!

Happy with where we are and the squad.
From a list of players who got constant shit for not being good enough when they were here, and who never achieved anything close to what this group of players have achieved over the last four seasons.

Also leaves Grealish, Dias, Ake, and Stones from the "prime" list.

For all the talk of us being fortunate yesterday, bloody hell did Arsenal get away with it.

Southampton hit the woodwork three times and Arsenal's last goal was literally passed to Saka in the box by a Southampton player.

And that's Southampton. Who are fucking hopeless. Liverpool the bigger threat to our title this year imo.
Liverpool havent played anyone of note yet. The next couple of games will see where they are at.

Over thinking post!

You've gone back over 12 years picking out the best players from each season!

Early days and we are generally slow starters, unbeaten after playing some tricky games and lesser teams in great form!

Happy with where we are and the squad.
I dont think he is. We have basically had two squads since Sheik Mansour. Pre Pep and Pep.

Both have had success and both included world class players. The team that Pep built that has given us unimaginable success is now aging, both in midfield and defence. My view is that a pretty significant overhaul is coming, to be done either by Pep if he renews or our next manager. The team that Pep built round Eddie, Kyle, John, Ruben, Fern/Rodders, David/Gundo/Bernie/Kev/Phil, Sergio/Haaland is coming to an end, the most obvious sign is our current midfield performances. We are past our peak. Age catches everyone.

Ferna and David were 30+ in 2019. Gundo was 29.

The big difference is Rodri is out. Before his injury, I'd take this midfield over previous versions. Now, anyone who is not completely daft realizes it won't be easy to replace Rodri. Colossus of a player.

But there are potential surprises. We have several young players that can make big progress this season: Gvardiol, Lewis, Savinho, Bobb, Doku, Nunes, McAtee. Foden and Haaland are only 24, they can get better, too. Imagine that.

When we estimate the quality of the squad, we assume the young players will remain at the same level throughout the season. But it's enough 2-3 from them to be fantastic to make us highly competitive: say, Gvardiol, Savinho and Doku. Lewis, too.
That’s exactly what I touched on in the Midfield thread.

As well as Fernandinho being 33 but looking like an 800m runner and being very fit and David Silva being 32 but looking exactly the same as he did at 27, we had de Bruyne at 28, Benardo at 25 and Gündoğan at 28, all in their prime.

Now our midfield players in their prime are a minority, without Rodri, there’s only Foden at 24. Our 30+ players aren’t as good as they were in their prime unlike Fernandinho and DSilva were and, again, young players are inconsistent.

That will have an effect on performances.

Nothing to massively panic about, I think we’ll still be in a title race. But for the first time in a long time, I won’t be surprised if we don’t win the league.

You can't generalize after just one game. We've had a few shockers before including yesterday. Arsenal are serious title contenders as are Liverpool.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.