The Tottenham Thread 12/13

Re: The Tottenham Thr aead 12/13

DeezNuts said:
They didn't need a billionaire backer to come up with their funds, you know exactly what i mean. Spurs transfer funds are generated through their own means.

Does that include the rights issue in the early 2000's which raised money spent entirely on building the squad (or should I say tapping up the best players from other teams academies).

For example take a look at Chelsea, they were on the cusp of going into administration spending massively without having any means of generating income to pay for it, before they had their arses saved by Abramovich and are now a title challenging side. Had that not happened they surely would've gone in the same direction of Leeds. This in turn negates all the good work clubs like Spurs do to maintain a challenge within the league. So, what i mean is, it is what is wrong with modern football these days. What is the message that is being sent out? Not one of hard work and determination. Not that diligence and patience will one day pay off and reap benefits. The message being sent out is that unless you have a wealthy investor come in and spend half a billion on the team, all the hard work will have been in vain.

Alan Sugar got Spurs out of serious financial trouble did he not?

That is a macrocosm of much that is wrong with football these days. Many of you say a cheat is a disgrace to football, well isn't spending a fortune on a football team and rocketing your way to success in a few short years, while clubs with business models that strive to bring them the same success within admirable means, cheating as well?

Cheating is breaking the rules. I'll be interested for you to show me which rule we have broken.<br /><br />-- Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:35 am --<br /><br />
M18CTID said:
On the other hand, as part of the so-called "Big 5" in the 1980's Tottenham colluded with Arsenal, United, Liverpool, and Everton in carving up the TV rights which saw those 5 clubs bag the vast majority of the TV revenue at the time while the rest of the clubs had to make do with scraps. While that's not exactly cheating, it's not exactly fair either.

The best thing about that whingers and moaners about our financial situation tend to come from supporters of these 5 clubs. In effect their own clubs have created the situation where Sheikh Mansour could come in and take the club forward.

We should thank them all.

moomba said:
The best thing about that whingers and moaners about our financial situation tend to come from supporters of these 5 clubs. In effect their own clubs have created the situation where Sheikh Mansour could come in and take the club forward.

We should thank them all.

Possibly the most apposite post I've ever read on here. They created the monster.

Tough shit.

Oil everywhere! said:
Spuds fans going on about finances of our team, it really does amaze me that the football industry is the only one where investment seems to be vilified whereas any other business would welcome investment for business growth and job security.

well said mate, i always have this argument with a rag and he always changes the argument.he basically says that it shouldnt be allowed, when i challenge him and say so if i was to open a shop(with a good business plan) then i cannot use investment.the tawt just spits out his crumbs and changes to something else.

I see Adebayor is off to AFCON so Spurs only have Defoe up front. Let's hope Defoe doesn't get injured before their home game against the rags on the 20th, that would be typical rag luck.

LoveCity said:
I see Adebayor is off to AFCON so Spurs only have Defoe up front. Let's hope Defoe doesn't get injured before their home game against the rags on the 20th, that would be typical rag luck.
Dofoe's having a good season,like you say will either end up injured or start to go through a goal drought in time to play the rags...

DeezNuts said:
So, what i mean is, it is what is wrong with modern football these days. What is the message that is being sent out? Not one of hard work and determination. Not that diligence and patience will one day pay off and reap benefits. The message being sent out is that unless you have a wealthy investor come in and spend half a billion on the team, all the hard work will have been in vain.

That is a macrocosm of much that is wrong with football these days.

When Spurs were at the vanguard of creating the contemporary footballing landscape that you seek to decry what were their concerns for the wider game, the rest of football?

What was at the forefront of their mind?

It was to say a big fuck you to the rest of football. We're going to take what we can for us. We don't care about clubs in the lower leagues. We don't care about the football pyramid. We're at the top table now and we're gong to keep as much as we can for ourselves because we can.

Don't complain now because everything didn't go exactly to plan.

LoveCity said:

Adebayor going to the ACON is a very convenient way for AVB to avoid dropping him.

If he has a good tournament, his confidence should be boosted and we'll have a much improved player on our hands for the remainder of the season.

Meanwhile, Defoe can be the main man once more and concentrated on what he does best - putting the ball in the back of the net - and Dempsey has already proved to be a more than capable alternative to Adebayor.

This should also mean that Sigurdsson will get a few more starts under his belt...

P0148.png

THFC6061 said:
Adebayor going to the ACON is a very convenient way for AVB to avoid dropping him.

If he has a good tournament, his confidence should be boosted and we'll have a much improved player on our hands for the remainder of the season.

What an absolutely first rate piece of management by AVB, truly outstanding work. To realise that his African born player would be out of form just in time for ACON, conveniently avoiding the tricky situation of dropping a player who is playing shite is an utter masterstroke.
How the press don't pick up on his utter genius is staggering.
He's like a ginger footballing god, Alan Ball reborn.

stony said:
THFC6061 said:

What an absolutely first rate piece of management by AVB, truly outstanding work. To realise that his African born player would be out of form just in time for ACON, conveniently avoiding the tricky situation of dropping a player who is playing shite is an utter masterstroke.
How the press don't pick up on his utter genius is staggering.
He's like a ginger footballing god, Alan Ball reborn.

Sometimes circumstances conspire to produce a very unexpected result.

This is one of those times.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.