The Tottenham Thread 12/13

THFC6061 said:
baildon blue said:
THFC6061 said:
That was a very productive festive period for Spurs, who took 13 of the 15 Premier League points on offer.

We start 2013 exactly where we were at the start of 2012 - in third place.
Like last season you will collapse and not do anything deja vu

You may well be right, but I really don't think this will be the case.

We've been without three regular starters for almost the entire first half of the season (Younes Kaboul, Benoit Assou-Ekotto & Scott Parker), so the squad will be very much strengthened with all three back in action for 2013, plus whatever new signings we make during the transfer window.

We're three points better off than we were in the 2011-12 identical fixtures and AVB now has the best statistical record of any Spurs manager since the club joined the Football League in 1908.

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/TottenhamHotspurManagersRecords1898-2009.html

You're like a broken record.

THFC6061 said:
Football Genius or not, Harry Redknapp is Tottenham Hotspur's most successful manager, statistically speaking, since the club joined the Football League way back in 1908.

Sometimes, doing the simple things well can be far more effective than going for over-complicated tactics.

stony said:
THFC6061 said:
baildon blue said:
Like last season you will collapse and not do anything deja vu

We've been without three regular starters for almost the entire first half of the season (Younes Kaboul, Benoit Assou-Ekotto & Scott Parker), so the squad will be very much strengthened with all three back in action for 2013, plus whatever new signings we make during the transfer window.

We're three points better off than we were in the 2011-12 identical fixtures and AVB now has the best statistical record of any Spurs manager since the club joined the Football League in 1908.

THFC6061 said:
Football Genius or not, Harry Redknapp is Tottenham Hotspur's most successful manager, statistically speaking, since the club joined the Football League way back in 1908.

Sometimes, doing the simple things well can be far more effective than going for over-complicated tactics.

Newsflash - AVB's record with Spurs is better than Harry's was.

THFC6061 said:
stony said:
THFC6061 said:

THFC6061 said:

Newsflash - AVB's record with Spurs is better than Harry's was.

Newsflash - AVB has been there 5 minutes.

LedleyKing said:
Bilboblue said:
LedleyKing said:
His pace, strength, technical ability, and 9 league goals help ease the pain of all the diving shite. . Would prefer he didn't, but it is what it is.

And that is what is wrong with modern football.

Even Chelsea fans booed Drogba (a minority I concede) when he dived to win a penalty against us at The Bridge.

I fucking hate cheats, with a passion. And yes, even if it was/is one of ours.
So you'd be against signing Bale I take it?

Like I said, I'd prefer he weren't so theatrical when he went over (which is what I think has ultimately been the reason for his bookings). But I think there has been contact on more than one of the occasions where he ended up being booked and that there is some validity to the argument that, due to his speed, minimal contact can send him over...moreso than other players.

Sorry LK. just seen your reply.

No, if Bale keeps playing as he does i.e. cheating to gain an advantage, I wouldn't want him anywhere near my club, I cannot stand players who fall at the slightest touch, it's pathetic.

That's why I couldn't stand Drogba, great player though he was, and why I detest the likes of Michael Owen too.

bleed.blue said:
Well done Spurs for getting one over that drunken excuse of a man.
Spot on. Oh, and no wonder there's no value in the transfer market when that drunken twat is asking £6m for a totally unproven player - fucking hypocrite.

Yeah all a bit odd really, that transfer. Clearly some sort of agreement between Liege and Spurs before the initial transfer. Not sure what this means for us at LB. There have been rumors that BAE might be moved on, but I reckon that is a load of garbage. Rose has been doing well for Sunderland so it makes sense to bring him back and give him a shot, but it could all just be to raise his price in the end. If one thing is certain it's that Levy will cash in on Rose's recent loan success...<br /><br />-- Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:02 am --<br /><br />
Bilboblue said:
LedleyKing said:
Bilboblue said:
And that is what is wrong with modern football.

Even Chelsea fans booed Drogba (a minority I concede) when he dived to win a penalty against us at The Bridge.

I fucking hate cheats, with a passion. And yes, even if it was/is one of ours.
So you'd be against signing Bale I take it?

Like I said, I'd prefer he weren't so theatrical when he went over (which is what I think has ultimately been the reason for his bookings). But I think there has been contact on more than one of the occasions where he ended up being booked and that there is some validity to the argument that, due to his speed, minimal contact can send him over...moreso than other players.

Sorry LK. just seen your reply.

No, if Bale keeps playing as he does i.e. cheating to gain an advantage, I wouldn't want him anywhere near my club, I cannot stand players who fall at the slightest touch, it's pathetic.

That's why I couldn't stand Drogba, great player though he was, and why I detest the likes of Michael Owen too.
Fair enough. Perhaps I have just become too complacent with modern football. It's so common now to watch players "win fouls" as opposed to "be fouled".

Bob Dylan once wrote, The times, they are a-changin. Ron Burgundy had never heard that song......

If I remember correctly, Spurs were the first club to set up a holding company so they could get round FA rules about paid directors and paying out dividends.

They floated on the Stock Market to raise money from investors in return for shares, just as we have. They also had a rights issue a few years ago which was specifically done to fund player purchases.

They've had a few very rich owners and were among the first to import top class foreign players, with the purchase of Ardiles & Villa. I'd say they had a large part in creating modern football.

Re: The Tottenham Thr aead 12/13

DeezNuts said:
jimharri said:
DeezNuts said:
One could also say that clubs like City and Chelsea buying their way to success in just a few years, brushing aside clubs like spurs/everton in the process who are progressing on their own merit, are whats wrong with modern football
So; Spurs haven't bought any of their first choice XI then?

They didn't need a billionaire backer to come up with their funds, you know exactly what i mean. Spurs transfer funds are generated through their own means.

Spurs spent around 50m this summer but they actually made a profit of around 10 million with the sales of Modric and VDV. They cannot afford to spend outside of thier means and their business model of buying youth, generating them, and them making a profit has reaped rewards where you now see them as an established top 4/5 team.

Many clubs can spend outside of their means but it will catch up to them eg: Leeds, Portsmouth, Rangers...

For example take a look at Chelsea, they were on the cusp of going into administration spending massively without having any means of generating income to pay for it, before they had their arses saved by Abramovich and are now a title challenging side. Had that not happened they surely would've gone in the same direction of Leeds. This in turn negates all the good work clubs like Spurs do to maintain a challenge within the league. So, what i mean is, it is what is wrong with modern football these days. What is the message that is being sent out? Not one of hard work and determination. Not that diligence and patience will one day pay off and reap benefits. The message being sent out is that unless you have a wealthy investor come in and spend half a billion on the team, all the hard work will have been in vain.

That is a macrocosm of much that is wrong with football these days. Many of you say a cheat is a disgrace to football, well isn't spending a fortune on a football team and rocketing your way to success in a few short years, while clubs with business models that strive to bring them the same success within admirable means, cheating as well?

It's not for me to say how Tottenham Hotspur should be run but I feel compelled to comment on this. As has already been pointed out, Spurs have a billionaire backer in Joe Lewis. The difference between him and Sheikh Mansour, however, is that Lewis chooses not to invest his money in the club and relies on Spurs generating their money through other means such as extortionate ticket and hospitality prices. If you think he (and Levy) run Tottenham (and Silent Stan and his mates run Arsenal) in such a way because it is in some way morally correct then you are deluded beyond belief - it's because these people are tighter than a gnat's chuff and have no intention of investing any of their own cash to help grow their clubs. If Lewis could be arsed to dip his hand in his pocket, then we might have seen some movement at Tottenham with regards to the new stadium and in turn they would be generating greater revenues.

There's nothing that City are doing that can be construed as cheating - if there was then we'd have been punished for it (and besides, rich owners have been part and parcel of English football since the sport turned professional in the 19th century). On the other hand, as part of the so-called "Big 5" in the 1980's Tottenham colluded with Arsenal, United, Liverpool, and Everton in carving up the TV rights which saw those 5 clubs bag the vast majority of the TV revenue at the time while the rest of the clubs had to make do with scraps. While that's not exactly cheating, it's not exactly fair either.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.