The Tottenham Thread 12/13

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Speaker said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Chelsea have probably had 10 managers in the time you have had 6 but they still have won 8 more major trophies and 2 charity shields in that time. Im sure they are not losing any sleep

You cannot use the stable manager situation as a benefit, and then ignore the vast differences in spending between the two clubs. If we had spent £841,000,000 on players in the last ten years then i'd expect us to have won 8 trophies as well.
Yes but you have also had 6 managers in the same time as them having 10 so I was pointing out that spurs have no high ground to preach from regarding managers

ah sorry misunderstood. Our track record with managers is not great. I think the difference being is that we have sacked some truly shocking managers (santini etc) who had us in terrible positions in the league, whereas chelsea have sacked managers who actually have them winning things, like Mourinho, Ancelotti, RDM

jimharri said:
If the player becomes unsettled (if he hears of Madrid or A.N. Other club being interested in him), and his performances drop off, then maybe it would be in Spurs' best interest to sell him. IN THAT SCENARIO.

Bale is a pretty grounded character if truth be told, and he is pretty obviously aware that a big move could be on the cards for him. He's also very happy where he is and in absolutely no rush to move on. If he was, say, 26/27 then he would quite probably be thinking differently of course. Ambition has different forms, and wanting to stick around and help move a club forward and reach a higher level could be considered just as ambitious (and possibly more so) than wanting to move to a club that is already at that level.

I would be astounded if Bale is not at Spurs next season, even if we fail to make CL. If we don't qualify next season then the situation may change - but if we are playing in the CL I don't expect him to move for at least two or three years. If we improve our status and ability to challenge for major honours then there may be no reason for him to move at all.

FrostyNRG said:
jimharri said:
If the player becomes unsettled (if he hears of Madrid or A.N. Other club being interested in him), and his performances drop off, then maybe it would be in Spurs' best interest to sell him. IN THAT SCENARIO.

Bale is a pretty grounded character if truth be told, and he is pretty obviously aware that a big move could be on the cards for him. He's also very happy where he is and in absolutely no rush to move on. If he was, say, 26/27 then he would quite probably be thinking differently of course. Ambition has different forms, and wanting to stick around and help move a club forward and reach a higher level could be considered just as ambitious (and possibly more so) than wanting to move to a club that is already at that level.

I would be astounded if Bale is not at Spurs next season, even if we fail to make CL. If we don't qualify next season then the situation may change - but if we are playing in the CL I don't expect him to move for at least two or three years. If we improve our status and ability to challenge for major honours then there may be no reason for him to move at all.

Thats what I´m thinking. Bale is 23 Spurs will defo keep him for at least another season and if he has a bad one they can still sell him for big money but if he can keep this form they will earn even more and profit from CL and shirt sales and sponsors and so on.

FrostyNRG said:
jimharri said:

I'm sure there are Southampton fans who probably trotted out the same arguments about him being grounded, wanting to help the club bounce back, and wanting to challenge for trophies. He didn't stay and he arguably won't stay, though the decision will not be entirely his. Levy will realise that he simply has to cash in at the end of the season. Players are only ever one bad tackle from being retired, and someone will make an offer this summer that can't be refused.

FrostyNRG said:
jimharri said:

Well said!

P0183_zps0108331f.png

Gabriel said:
I'm sure there are Southampton fans who probably trotted out the same arguments about him being grounded, wanting to help the club bounce back, and wanting to challenge for trophies. He didn't stay and he arguably won't stay, though the decision will not be entirely his. Levy will realise that he simply has to cash in at the end of the season. Players are only ever one bad tackle from being retired, and someone will make an offer this summer that can't be refused.

I get what you are saying, but I don't think the situations of when he was at Southampton and where he is now are particularly comparable. The fact is he is enjoying himself at the moment and not even close to being desparate to move. As such Levy is certainly, at this point, under no pressure to sell and unless a truly ridiculous offer comes in I think you are wrong that he will cash in. As it stands he is integral to our future chances of success and Levy is smart enough to know that he could be worth more to us staying than he could receive in transfer fees. A player of his ability/stature not only helps us perform on the pitch but could also help us attract other players if we are also prepared to invest in the kind of quality we need to progress.

Speaker said:
MSP said:
He might stay for another year if they qualify for CL but even if he looks like that he is not stupid and won't earn 70k forever if he could get 150-200.

And if he continues to play like this he'll certainly have options for that money and doubt Spurs will be the one.

He's not on 70k a week, he's on 100-110k a week.

That changes f'all and both you and me know it ;)

FrostyNRG said:
Gabriel said:

I get what you are saying, but I don't think the situations of when he was at Southampton and where he is now are particularly comparable. The fact is he is enjoying himself at the moment and not even close to being desparate to move. As such Levy is certainly, at this point, under no pressure to sell and unless a truly ridiculous offer comes in I think you are wrong that he will cash in. As it stands he is integral to our future chances of success and Levy is smart enough to know that he could be worth more to us staying than he could receive in transfer fees. A player of his ability/stature not only helps us perform on the pitch but could also help us attract other players if we are also prepared to invest in the kind of quality we need to progress.

you weren't prepared to invest last time you got into the CL why would the next time be any different? Levy only has 1 way of doings things and it ended up getting you 32-34m for Modric instead of 45-50.

bale would jump at the chance of winning major trophies, and if he or his team or smart they know now is a great time to try and turn him into the next British Global star.

FrostyNRG said:
Gabriel said:

I understand your point and respect your argument, but Spurs have always been a selling side, and good players have always been sold onwards. This however isn't a Gascoigne, Hoddle, Sheringham, Waddle or Modric we're talking about. Bale could be the Willy Wonka Golden Ticket and I would be astounded if his sale isn't completed this summer. Enjoy him while you have him.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
you weren't prepared to invest last time you got into the CL why would the next time be any different? Levy only has 1 way of doings things and it ended up getting you 32-34m for Modric instead of 45-50.

bale would jump at the chance of winning major trophies, and if he or his team or smart they know now is a great time to try and turn him into the next British Global star.

We weren't, I agree. And that was a mistake that has been recognised and is unlikely to be made again. If we do make the same mistake then the harsh fact is that we don't deserve to progress, I absolutely accept that. That's why finishing third is the (optimistic IMO) target this year; as the difference between automatic qualification and needing a play-off makes a big difference. The fact is the club was not prepared to "gamble" during that summer, in case we did not make the CL proper and the associated financial rewards.

You're right that Bale wants to win trophies, and when (if) the time comes that he is convinced it won't happen at Spurs I have no doubt that he will want to move on. What I'm stating is that he is happy, for now at least, to wait and see if that can happen with us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.