The Tottenham Thread 13/14 part 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GHoddle said:
supercrystal7 said:
Moyes has come to his senses and playing his best team. With Tottenham's poor record against United added to their terrible result and now with United finding the right blend I take back what I said about it being very possible they beat United. It's unlikely they get anything more than draw.

We'll get hammered again, 3 or 4 nil probably, and then AVB will be in big trouble.

I have no confidence that we can score a goal never mind beat United.

I fear this. Sorting through the wreckage of last Sunday, I fear that AVB may have waited a bit too long to make some much needed changes. As a matter of fact, I think that he was actually pretty proactive with his setup and at halftime with some pretty radical changes. He dispensed with the inverted wingers, dropped Townsend, switched to 4-4-2 at the break. Actually, I kind of like what he was trying to do w/ Holtby and Lamela having kind of a fluid situation on the left with Holtby looking to get out wide when Lamela cut in. Unfortunately, Verts really doesn't have the pace to get in on the action as some one like, say, Benoit Assou-Ekkoto might. As a matter of fact, I know this might be outrageous but desperate times and all that: could Townsend fill in back there the way Bale did early in his career? He can run forever and has a left foot to whip some crosses in. Could also push Verts back to the middle where he belongs.

Anyhow, I think the real issue with AVB is not recognizing that changes needed to be made, but the fact that he got us to the desperate straits where we had to make them in the the toughest away fixture on the list with a visit from the champions the next week. Also, in AVB's defense, the players do have to take a bit of a look at not putting the ball in the back of the net on those few occasions (and there have been some) when we have actually been battering the opposition (1st half Chelsea, 1st half Everton, Newcastle). A goal in just a couple of those would see us looking at a few more points most likely and a much more advantageous table position to get stuff sorted.

That said, tomorrow is HUGE for the club and the manager and I am not particularly confident that we will respond. Big test, though, and we will see what kind of professionals and manager we've got.

fac63 said:
GHoddle said:
supercrystal7 said:
Moyes has come to his senses and playing his best team. With Tottenham's poor record against United added to their terrible result and now with United finding the right blend I take back what I said about it being very possible they beat United. It's unlikely they get anything more than draw.

We'll get hammered again, 3 or 4 nil probably, and then AVB will be in big trouble.

I have no confidence that we can score a goal never mind beat United.

I fear this. Sorting through the wreckage of last Sunday, I fear that AVB may have waited a bit too long to make some much needed changes. As a matter of fact, I think that he was actually pretty proactive with his setup and at halftime with some pretty radical changes. He dispensed with the inverted wingers, dropped Townsend, switched to 4-4-2 at the break. Actually, I kind of like what he was trying to do w/ Holtby and Lamela having kind of a fluid situation on the left with Holtby looking to get out wide when Lamela cut in. Unfortunately, Verts really doesn't have the pace to get in on the action as some one like, say, Benoit Assou-Ekkoto might. As a matter of fact, I know this might be outrageous but desperate times and all that: could Townsend fill in back there the way Bale did early in his career? He can run forever and has a left foot to whip some crosses in. Could also push Verts back to the middle where he belongs.

Anyhow, I think the real issue with AVB is not recognizing that changes needed to be made, but the fact that he got us to the desperate straits where we are made them in the the toughest away fixture on the list with a visit from the champions the next week. Also, in AVB's defense, the players do have to take a bit of a look at not putting the ball in the back of the net on those few occasions (and there have been some) when we have actually been battering the opposition (1st half Chelsea, 1st half Everton, Newcastle). A goal in just a couple of those would see us looking at a few more points most likely and a much more advantageous table position to get stuff sorted.

That said, tomorrow is HUGE for the club and the manager and I am not particularly confident that we will respond. Big test, though, and we will see what kind of professionals and manager we've got.

Don,t see either spurs or united winning on sunday. be score draw as neither manager will want to lose

gooner2 said:
Don,t see either spurs or united winning on sunday. be score draw as neither manager will want to lose

A draw is certainly always in play, but I think both teams will be having a go at all 3 pts. We desperately need a win and Utd need to not lose touch with you guys at the top of the table. We will be hungry to show what we can do and Utd will be full of confidence from their midweek CL excursion. I expect a pretty open affair.

fac63 said:
gooner2 said:

A draw is certainly always in play, but I think both teams will be having a go at all 3 pts. We desperately need a win and Utd need to not lose touch with you guys at the top of the table. We will be hungry to show what we can do and Utd will be full of confidence from their midweek CL excursion. I expect a pretty open affair.

You might be right but just feel both managers will be wary of making their defences to open . think united be more defensive then spurs as they have two home games after this. Both need to win though if their to stay in touch with us.,

It's rare for a team, unless they are exceptionally poor, to get hammered twice on the trot. I exoect a closely thought game. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a draw.

Bale with a (perfect) hat-trick tonight, spurs not scoring.

Tbh if anything i thought spurs would be doing well and Bale doing just enough to stop the abuse.
Shows what i know eh.

Manc in London said:
It's rare for a team, unless they are exceptionally poor, to get hammered twice on the trot. I exoect a closely thought game. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a draw.

I think thats where the fear comes in…what if we are actually "exceptionally poor"?

Apart from the city game, spurs have had more possession than their opponents in every game this season, they had about 32 shots against a Newcastle that is flying right now and could've easily hammered them.
Manchester united got hammered at city too and no one wrote them off like they are doing to spurs, I think the media love a spurs crisis story and hate AVB, who sometimes brings it upon himself, seems to have all mourinhos arrogance and none of his charm.
But everyone writing spurs off too early, including their own fans who have gone into major melt down, I think they'll win tomorrow.

AwayDay said:
Apart from the city game, spurs have had more possession than their opponents in every game this season, they had about 32 shots against a Newcastle that is flying right now and could've easily hammered them.
Manchester united got hammered at city too and no one wrote them off like they are doing to spurs, I think the media love a spurs crisis story and hate AVB, who sometimes brings it upon himself, seems to have all mourinhos arrogance and none of his charm.
But everyone writing spurs off too early, including their own fans who have gone into major melt down, I think they'll win tomorrow.

I think we had more possession than City barely haha. I'm actually writing the City loss off as a defensive blip as I think our defense is stronger than that. But it's not just the City game that is worrying me, it is our inability to score goals combined with the manager's tactics which I don't think will work in the long run.

It's scoring 6 goals from open play in 12 games, it's playing a ridiculously high line and condensing our attacking players in the other team's half of the pitch, the slow build up play (never, ever counterattacking), players we buy looking brilliant at their previous clubs then turning shit as soon as they start trying to play in our system, etc, etc that has pissed me off. It didn't improve last season at all (got worse actually) but Bale improved and scored so many vital goals for us. If it showed literally zero sign of improvement last season I don't see how it is all going to suddenly 'click' this season and the players are going to learn how to perform in AVB's restrictive system. Really don't see it getting much better.<br /><br />-- Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:52 am --<br /><br />
Manc in London said:

Beginning of the 2011-12 season we were beaten 3-0 by United followed by 5-1 by City. Wouldn't be surprised to see something similar this time, I'm expecting about a 0-3 loss tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.