The Tottenham Thread (Merged)

AJ101 said:
Mikecini said:
spurspinter1 said:
I'm not going to be majorly worried by a form table, I'm sure a week ago there were form tables showing that since O'neil went to Sunderland they were top of the table, but it doesn't mean much. The premier league table is what I focus on.

Pfft.... so because a form table, a list of results over 6,8 and 10 games, rather than the if, buts and what-could-have-been you posted doesn't suit your argument you just chose to ignore it. Trific..

The form over any of our last 6,8,10 games if replicated over the season to this point would have us in 3rd, exactly the position we're in now. What exactly do you want to discuss out of that?

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to post this again..

ilvwcx.jpg

PL games not fa cup against Stevenage and Watford.

Mikecini said:
AJ101 said:
Mikecini said:
Pfft.... so because a form table, a list of results over 6,8 and 10 games, rather than the if, buts and what-could-have-been you posted doesn't suit your argument you just chose to ignore it. Trific..

The form over any of our last 6,8,10 games if replicated over the season to this point would have us in 3rd, exactly the position we're in now. What exactly do you want to discuss out of that?

ilvwcx.jpg

Ok let’s go through this
1. Win vs Newcastle
2. Draw vs Liverpool
3. Win vs Wigan
4. Loss vs Man City
5. Draw vs Wolves
6. Win vs Everton
7. Win vs West Brom
8. Draw vs Swansea
9. Win vs Norwich
10. Draw vs Chelsea

Last 6 games = 11points = 1.833r ppg x 25 = 46points
Last 8 games = 15points = 1.875 ppg x 25 = 47points
Last 10 games = 19points = 1.9 ppg x 25 = 47/48 points

All 3 would have us in 3rd place, granted it's not up there at over 2ppg which is what we currently but it's not as though we're falling like a stone which is what you seem to be suggesting? In those games we may have dropped 4 points further behind yourselves but we've got a bigger gap to fourth than we did 6/8 or 10 games ago as well, it seems to me that our form will have us take 3rd.

If we carried on with the form of our last 6 games we'd end up with 78-80 points which isn't going to win us the league but will get us 3rd (unless Arsenal or Chelsea win 12 of their 13 remaining games).

I honestly don't think even a sizeable minority of Tottenham fans thought we were going to win the league at any point this year, (there's always the odd one or two just look at RAWK....) just that we were capable of challenging the top two, if we're say 6 points of the champions this year I don't see how that can be construed as failure considering we were 5th last year.

AJ101 said:
….if we're say 6 points of the champions this year I don't see how that can be construed as failure considering we were 5th last year.

Spurs for several years have been a failure considering the amount of money the club have spent over 20 years. To be honest, it is about time the club should fighting for the league.

I feel that due to Spurs only really entering one competition (the Prem) this season, it has been a big help. While City, Arsenal, Chelsea and United have all had to play in the CL. With Spurs potentially playing Champions League next season and having to play full-strength teams in Europe and in the league a few days later, it will be a much tougher challenge. Maybe next season, unlike in 2010/11 where you played at home after every CL game, you may have to play away games in the league immediately following the CL games. We had to put up with that on 6 occasions this season and it makes things very difficult. It would be interesting to see how Spurs would cope with that.

Spurs will have a fair amount of rebuilding to do over the next 2 or 3 years while facing financial pressures from the building of the stadium – assuming the club will own it rather than sell it to AEG and stay as paying tenants. We cannot be certain what is going to happen in the next two or three years but I think this Spurs team will struggle to replicate this season’s efforts in the league in the short-to-medium term.

Another issue the club may have to deal with is replacing the manager. Who knows what could happen. You may get yourself a new Ramos. With the potential financial pressures facing the club a new manager may find he has little money to spend to build his own team so he is left with players who do not play effectively in his system and/or players he simply doesn't want in his team.

Spurs are entering a period of uncertainty. Things could go well very well but it could go the other way and you could end up struggling on and off the pitch.

Jumanji said:
For tables always, and only include last 6 games.

Last 6 games has us top and 4 or 8 has the scum

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/formGuide/premierleague" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/formG ... mierleague</a>

Manc in London said:
Another issue the club may have to deal with is replacing the manager. Who knows what could happen. You may get yourself a new Ramos.

I saw a little snippet on here the other day from a well respected poster, that suggested Klinsman would be Spurs next manager.

AJ101 said:
Mikecini said:
AJ101 said:

ilvwcx.jpg

Ok let’s go through this
1. Win vs Newcastle
2. Draw vs Liverpool
3. Win vs Wigan
4. Loss vs Man City
5. Draw vs Wolves
6. Win vs Everton
7. Win vs West Brom
8. Draw vs Swansea
9. Win vs Norwich
10. Draw vs Chelsea

Last 6 games = 11points = 1.833r ppg x 25 = 46points
Last 8 games = 15points = 1.875 ppg x 25 = 47points
Last 10 games = 19points = 1.9 ppg x 25 = 47/48 points

All 3 would have us in 3rd place, granted it's not up there at over 2ppg which is what we currently but it's not as though we're falling like a stone which is what you seem to be suggesting? In those games we may have dropped 4 points further behind yourselves but we've got a bigger gap to fourth than we did 6/8 or 10 games ago as well, it seems to me that our form will have us take 3rd.

If we carried on with the form of our last 6 games we'd end up with 78-80 points which isn't going to win us the league but will get us 3rd (unless Arsenal or Chelsea win 12 of their 13 remaining games).

I honestly don't think even a sizeable minority of Tottenham fans thought we were going to win the league at any point this year, (there's always the odd one or two just look at RAWK....) just that we were capable of challenging the top two, if we're say 6 points of the champions this year I don't see how that can be construed as failure considering we were 5th last year.

Bud, I don't believe I even intimated that you where dropping like a stone, a decline in overall performance definitely. I don't see you losing third place, manly but not entirely due to Arsenal and Chelsea being well off what would normally be expected.

My point was really aimed at those ,your new best mate above being one of them, who are happy to regurgitate the same old shite from mainly the written media based on what they would like to see rather than reality.

The form table just like the PL table does not lie.

Manc in London said:
AJ101 said:
….if we're say 6 points of the champions this year I don't see how that can be construed as failure considering we were 5th last year.

Spurs for several years have been a failure considering the amount of money the club have spent over 20 years. To be honest, it is about time the club should fighting for the league.

I feel that due to Spurs only really entering one competition (the Prem) this season, it has been a big help. While City, Arsenal, Chelsea and United have all had to play in the CL. With Spurs potentially playing Champions League next season and having to play full-strength teams in Europe and in the league a few days later, it will be a much tougher challenge. Maybe next season, unlike in 2010/11 where you played at home after every CL game, you may have to play away games in the league immediately following the CL games. We had to put up with that on 6 occasions this season and it makes things very difficult. It would be interesting to see how Spurs would cope with that.

Spurs will have a fair amount of rebuilding to do over the next 2 or 3 years while facing financial pressures from the building of the stadium – assuming the club will own it rather than sell it to AEG and stay as paying tenants. We cannot be certain what is going to happen in the next two or three years but I think this Spurs team will struggle to replicate this season’s efforts in the league in the short-to-medium term.

Another issue the club may have to deal with is replacing the manager. Who knows what could happen. You may get yourself a new Ramos. With the potential financial pressures facing the club a new manager may find he has little money to spend to build his own team so he is left with players who do not play effectively in his system and/or players he simply doesn't want in his team.

Spurs are entering a period of uncertainty. Things could go well very well but it could go the other way and you could end up struggling on and off the pitch.

I think that's all pretty fair

Spending wise (wages and net transfer spend) we've been about 6th-7th in the league over the last 10 years which on average is about where we've been so it's not so much disappointing as mediocrity. Should we have won a cup more or maybe achieved another 4th place finish at some point, well probably yes but we simply don't spend enough to make that a near certainty.

Obviously we've not had to play full strength teams that often outside of the league this year and that's allowed Redknapp to not rotate for the PL games which has definitely helped us as our "bench" players have had a pretty horrid time of injuries this season (Dawson, Kranjcar, Huddlestone etc). If/when we're in the CL next year hopefully we'll have an injury list like yours rather than your neighbours throughout the season!

I don't think we have too much rebuilding to do in terms of the squad, we've still got quite a few players on our books that Levy/Harry are probably trying to get rid of but in terms of first team players there's only Adebayor that needs to be replaced next season and probably a new centre back and goalkeeper to replace King/Gallas and Friedel the year after. I certainly don't think we need a major overhaul like say Chelsea do.

The stadium is both an opportunity and a risk but in all honesty I trust Levy to get it done with minimal effect on the football finances, I don't think AEG will buy the club or the ground but I do see them as partners in the project with us.

With regards to the manager well who knows I guess it's 80/20 that Harry is going to leave us for the England job before the start of next season but I'm sure Levy has contingency plans.

Your first eleven is a good team but I think you need some more quality on the bench who can change games and also cover injuries.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.