The truth about FC United and Manchester City Council

BlueMoon_1987 said:
This has got my blood boiling.

What are the opposition doing in response? I'd be more than happy to lend my services in any way.

At the moment just taking stock and then re-gathering to work out the next plan of action.
One of the main issues is the cost of any challenge to the decision. The council has all the legal expertise at their finger tips (paid for by council tax payers), where as those against the stadium have no such funds.

as the last poster said, the way to fight this is in the ballot box. I don't care if you have been Labour all your life, you should write/e mail your local councilor and tell then that if they vote for it you will not be voting for them in the next election. If enough local people are concerned as you say and they all threaten to vote for another party they will think again. (Maybe !)

The poster of this thread doesn't even live in Manchester.

So what exactly are his interests in the matter living so far away?

Blue Mist said:
as the last poster said, the way to fight this is in the ballot box. I don't care if you have been Labour all your life, you should write/e mail your local councilor and tell then that if they vote for it you will not be voting for them in the next election. If enough local people are concerned as you say and they all threaten to vote for another party they will think again. (Maybe !)

The stadium plans were revealed a couple of weeks before the last May election - many local people (probably on both sides) contacted the three councillors asking for their views and all replied they couldnt comment until after the election - which makes a complete mockery of democracy.
Member of public - ''Hey, there's an election coming up, which views do you have?''
Local politician - ''Vote for me and I'll tell you after the election''

What was worse, yesterday, is I understand 5 of the committee abstained from voting!!!! Are they paid NOT to vote? I'd have more respect for them if they had voted for the plans rather than kop out and abstain.
Hoping to get a list of those abstainers and sending them a nice email.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
FCUM are very keen on saying ''we will only be playing 20 odd games a year'', which is correct.
What they are not saying is the club house will be open every night for social functions (weddings / birthday parties / whatever anyone wants it for parties / games on TV etc) so you have the comings and goings there each night
Hardly a rave scene, do you read the Daily Mail?

, as well as there being an artificial pitch with floodlights in use every night, so added cars coming and going and associated noise.
Many people chose to live in that area because the land opposite was green (and they thought protected by a covenant) and they could have (in general) a quieter life.
The covenant states the land needs to be for community use, it does not specifically state it should remain a green field as you well know and it's new use has been approved by the family that donated the land, you may not approve but it doesn't mean there is any thing illegal here

it was lottery money, and we paid a huge chunk to convert it. we are a big fat cash cow for the council. Lottery money was only part of the picture the same as with the construction of the 2012 olympic site, the taxpayers of Manchester contributed as well, as a point of fact no lottery grant is forthcoming unless you can match it pound for pound at the very least, ask anyone who has been involved in asking for Lottery cash, or ask me?

It'sallthere said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
FCUM are very keen on saying ''we will only be playing 20 odd games a year'', which is correct.
What they are not saying is the club house will be open every night for social functions (weddings / birthday parties / whatever anyone wants it for parties / games on TV etc) so you have the comings and goings there each night
Hardly a rave scene, do you read the Daily Mail?

, as well as there being an artificial pitch with floodlights in use every night, so added cars coming and going and associated noise.
Many people chose to live in that area because the land opposite was green (and they thought protected by a covenant) and they could have (in general) a quieter life.
The covenant states the land needs to be for community use, it does not specifically state it should remain a green field as you well know and it's new use has been approved by the family that donated the land, you may not approve but it doesn't mean there is any thing illegal here

it was lottery money, and we paid a huge chunk to convert it. we are a big fat cash cow for the council. Lottery money was only part of the picture the same as with the construction of the 2012 olympic site, the taxpayers of Manchester contributed as well, as a point of fact no lottery grant is forthcoming unless you can match it pound for pound at the very least, ask anyone who has been involved in asking for Lottery cash, or ask me?

The covenant states the land be used for recreational use (not community use). It also states the land can be built on, if it is, for example, a school or library where all the community can use it - not (as a main and sole use) a football stadium for a semi professional team with shareholders and the community is restricted to hiring 3 rooms and a club house. (Locals can hire similar rooms elsewhere in the area)
Yes the tax payers of Manchester contributed to the Commonwealth Stadium.... and City have paid around £3m a year back (after 8 years), now about £5m a year with the sponsorship of the stadium (do the maths). So that money will more than handsomely be paid back within the next decade. Will FCUM be doing that with the funding they recieve????

The plans have not been approved by the family of the man who donated the land, but has been approved by the family of the man in whose name it was donated in. Slight difference.

And to the splitter who pointed out that I no longer live in Manchester, you are correct. I have lived in Moston for the last 20 years, moving out just 6 weeks ago to live abroad. But I still have ties in the area - relatives and friends (all against the destruction of green land). Unlike 9/10th's of the YES people on the facebook page who (despite saying ''this will be great for Moston'' still couldnt find the district even with a sat nav......

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.