The TV Quiz Show Thread

1 rod, pole or perch =5.5 yards
4 rods= 1 chain
10 chains= 1 furlong
8 furlongs = 1 mile.
Just boring old metres now.
How many pecks in a gallon?
Gotta be careful with Chains, the US also have a unit called a Ramsden Chain which dates back to the 18th century and are still shown on some old drawings and was used for their Railways. Unlike a UK chain of 66ft a Ramsden Chain is 100ft.

I love those old measures, they are somehow romantic. In the 50s we had to learn them in school.
Same here. Never had to learn them as I’m of 1970s vintage, but can remember my parents had a really fancy dictionary which was more like an encyclopaedia with loads of hand drawn illustrations. It was a real work of art and in the back, all sorts of old measurements, historical facts, maths, basic chemistry, biology and medicine. Was fascinated by it as a kid.

I love those old measures, they are somehow romantic. In the 50s we had to learn them in school.
I remember my uncle teaching me old measures and all sorts of other bygone facts in the early 60s. He said they'd be useful for me in the future. And they have...

Crosswords, quizzes and generally being a smart arse.

He also taught me how to wring a chicken's neck, catch cockroaches for subsequent release through enemies' letterboxes, drown kittens and various other animal related tortures, none of which I have used in the following 60-odd years.

Cheers Uncle Harry

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.