The TV Quiz Show Thread

Yes, but these contestants seemingly know any other maths question about sines and cosines and parabolic curves without problems. It's almost like they know the type of questions that will be asked and have revised them so when it comes down to actually doing some work they are flummoxed.

I mean it's 1760 x3. 3x 17 is 51 so you know the first bit is 5100/5200 or so. Then multiply 5x 12 which is 60, so the actual answer is going to be over 60k so just need to decide if it's nearer to 60k or 70k. That's how they should be breaking down those tricky sums when looking for an answer to the nearest 10k.
Yes. I did it quickly by 3x17 =51; 4x17= 68, so a bit more than halfway is about 62. To within 10,000 is plenty of leeway.

Yes. I did it quickly by 3x17 =51; 4x17= 68, so a bit more than halfway is about 62. To within 10,000 is plenty of leeway.
Most people don't know yards in mile these days for a start, horse racing fans excepted.

Most people don't know yards in mile these days for a start, horse racing fans excepted.
I just know from Athletics that 4 laps of a 400m track is about a mile so 1600m total and that the old 110yd sprint is about the same as the 100m sprint, ie 10% difference, so 1600m + 160 = 1760yd approx. Funny how that sticks in my mind but I guess people of a certain age had to know how to convert these things although I know these aren’t exact and you had to go down to 25.4mm per inch to be more accurate. I used to work in printing, on old machines, and I can still reel off most paper sizes in imperial and metric. Kids don’t need this info any more.

I just know from Athletics that 4 laps of a 400m track is about a mile so 1600m total and that the old 110yd sprint is about the same as the 100m sprint, ie 10% difference, so 1600m + 160 = 1760yd approx. Funny how that sticks in my mind but I guess people of a certain age had to know how to convert these things although I know these aren’t exact and you had to go down to 25.4mm per inch to be more accurate. I used to work in printing, on old machines, and I can still reel off most paper sizes in imperial and metric. Kids don’t need this info any more.
I used to work for BPC. I was a ram bundler so paper sizes were irrelevant to me. God, that was a job: same action every minute for eight hours. We only got a break when the press broke down, so screwdrivers came into frequent ‘accidental’ contact with the paper as it went through.

Jenny the chaser didn't know feet in a yard.

220 yards a furlong, 8 to a mile used in horse racing in UK and Ireland, so gamblers have no excuse.

Thats a Large Post.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.