The TV Quiz Show Thread

Some easy questions on University Challenge tonight for us oldies that the kids were crap at. They were never going to know about Lillian Gish or identify songs by The Byrds or Jefferson Airplane. They even struggled to work out how many inches in a mile to the nearest 10000.

That said, some of the other stuff they knew, I wouldn't have a clue about. They must revise certain topics for the show, some of the questions they get right are insanely niche. For instance they had to identify US presidents from book titles they wrote and they just knew instantly each one - Jefferson, Taft and Theodore Roosevelt.
Tonight's episode was bloody hard! Wife and I usually get about 120 points, tonight we got 55 points. Yes I know it's sad but we write down our scores!

Bloody hell..... give me a pen and paper, about 2 minutes and a bottle of wine and I maybe able.to work that out..... but on a TV show with a few seconds to answer???
Yes, but these contestants seemingly know any other maths question about sines and cosines and parabolic curves without problems. It's almost like they know the type of questions that will be asked and have revised them so when it comes down to actually doing some work they are flummoxed.

I mean it's 1760 x3. 3x 17 is 51 so you know the first bit is 5100/5200 or so. Then multiply 5x 12 which is 60, so the actual answer is going to be over 60k so just need to decide if it's nearer to 60k or 70k. That's how they should be breaking down those tricky sums when looking for an answer to the nearest 10k.

Yes, but these contestants seemingly know any other maths question about sines and cosines and parabolic curves without problems. It's almost like they know the type of questions that will be asked and have revised them so when it comes down to actually doing some work they are flummoxed.

I mean it's 1760 x3. 3x 17 is 51 so you know the first bit is 5100/5200 or so. Then multiply 5x 12 which is 60, so the actual answer is going to be over 60k so just need to decide if it's nearer to 60k or 70k. That's how they should be breaking down those tricky sums when looking for an answer to the nearest 10k.
Wow you just took me back to Mr Moore's maths class 1977....
sines and cosines.
has anyone ever needed to use either since leaving school?

Some easy questions on University Challenge tonight for us oldies that the kids were crap at. They were never going to know about Lillian Gish or identify songs by The Byrds or Jefferson Airplane. They even struggled to work out how many inches in a mile to the nearest 10000.

That said, some of the other stuff they knew, I wouldn't have a clue about. They must revise certain topics for the show, some of the questions they get right are insanely niche. For instance they had to identify US presidents from book titles they wrote and they just knew instantly each one - Jefferson, Taft and Theodore Roosevelt.
As usual the students showed little knowledge about the geography of the UK

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.