"The Voice" of football

When I was growing up, Brian Moore and Hugh Johns, he covered the Midland Clubs, were good to listen to..

Tony Gubba and Barry Davis were decent too..

Gerald Sinstadt was the voice of Granada TV Kick Off and on the whole was OK..

More recently, what's the name of the guy who does all the televised games in Scotland ?

It it Ian Crocker ?

I like him...

When I was growing up, Brian Moore and Hugh Johns, he covered the Midland Clubs, were good to listen to..

Tony Gubba and Barry Davis were decent too..

Gerald Sinstadt was the voice of Granada TV Kick Off and on the whole was OK..

More recently, what's the name of the guy who does all the televised games in Scotland ?

It it Ian Crocker ?

I like him...
Your post reminded me of the Scottish commentators I remember from the 60s and 70s.

Archie McPherson was good and authoritative, plying his trade mostly with the BBC. He'd often do reviews of the Scottish scene for 'Football Focus' with Sam Leitch during 'Grandstand'.

But I used to enjoy STV's Arthur Montford even more, mainly because of his comedy value. He had two single-word stock 'phrases' that he always seemed to get into every match he commentated on.. 'Sensation!' (if there was an early goal etc) and 'Stramash!' (if there was a scrap/pile on or a load of bodies fighting for the ball in a muddy penalty area etc) He was comedy gold at the time!

For me, Motty is the voice of football.

However, Barry Davies is the better commentator, due to his versatility commentating on sports at the Olympics.

Your post reminded me of the Scottish commentators I remember from the 60s and 70s.

Archie McPherson was good and authoritative, plying his trade mostly with the BBC. He'd often do reviews of the Scottish scene for 'Football Focus' with Sam Leitch during 'Grandstand'.

But I used to enjoy STV's Arthur Montford even more, mainly because of his comedy value. He had two single-word stock 'phrases' that he always seemed to get into every match he commentated on.. 'Sensation!' (if there was an early goal etc) and 'Stramash!' (if there was a scrap/pile on or a load of bodies fighting for the ball in a muddy penalty area etc) He was comedy gold at the time!

Archive Mac is a great call...fantastic chops on the fella at times.

I used to watch Montford, being in the Borders ITV region back in the day. I even remember Shouty Man in his silver suits on a Sunday afternoon...."Now"....

I remember Archie McPherson but can't place Sam Leitch or Arthur Montford, possibly just a tad before my time John..

However, commentators back then did just that though, commontate on the game and didn't drift off on a tangent and waffle on about inane dross like the poor quality ones we have to put up with today..

Talking of stock phrases, strangely enough Ian Darke has two too..

£60 million pound defender Cancelo and £300 million pounds worth of subs on the bench..

Mentions them every game like clockwork..!

I remember Archie McPherson but can't place Sam Leitch or Arthur Montford, possibly just a tad before my time John..

However, commentators back then did just that though, commontate on the game and didn't drift off on a tangent and waffle on about inane dross like the poor quality ones we have to put up with today..

Talking of stock phrases, strangely enough Ian Darke has two too..

£60 million pound defender Cancelo and £300 million pounds worth of subs on the bench..

Mentions them every game like clockwork..!

Arthur & Archie....

Attachments

• 25991769.jpg.gallery.jpg
    25991769.jpg.gallery.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 4

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.