The Westminster Accounts

There should not be second jobs of any sort. I’m well aware that an MP might continue to work as a medical doctor or do pro bono legal work, but those are exceptions and I’d ban them all from doing anything extra. How can the country be on its knees yet those responsible have time for extra curricular activities?

Being an MP can't be a full time job, or it would be impossible for someone to be a minister and an MP at the same time.

a few MPs do radio, journalism and tv work - should there be a law that bans them for this ? or if they do this should they not get paid ?
For me, banned. If they were doing their jobs properly, there would be no need for this ‘connecting with the public’ excuse that is used to justify it. Time is precious and it shouldn’t be frittered on building their media personality or making connections for later positions.

For me, banned. If they were doing their jobs properly, there would be no need for this ‘connecting with the public’ excuse that is used to justify it. Time is precious and it shouldn’t be frittered on building their media personality or making connections for later positions.

fair enough, not against your view - never really thought about it when i hear a politician presenting LBC etc

Yesterday was the tory revelations (though too many to go through) today Labour

if the biggest revalation is some climate change group and all payment openly and properly declared Labour may not get as rough a ride as those sleezy cunts in government.

They're all sleazy cunts. All piss in the same pot. And you can through those antiquated holograms that prop up our monarchy in that pot too. I'll be voting Labour at the GE because it's time we gave some other sleazy cunts the chance to ravage the country bare. Nothing to lose at this point.

Reactions: PPT
I don't agree with the view that they are all the same. One side is always consistently worse. By a huge margin. And is quite blatant in its attempts to game the system and always trying to water down the rules and push the boundaries of acceptable. They have strong links to the media which gives them a lot of cover.

I don't need to say which side that is as we all know.

I don't agree with the view that they are all the same. One side is always consistently worse. By a huge margin. And is quite blatant in its attempts to game the system and always trying to water down the rules and push the boundaries of acceptable. They have strong links to the media which gives them a lot of cover.

"Both sides are the same" is a deliberate ploy used by conservative media to disaffect people into thinking there's no reason to get out and vote to evict the usually conservative government.

Oh the Tories are worse; infinitely so at this sorry stage. But self-interest is evident in all corridors of authority. The issue is accountability is passed from shirker to shirker until the general public forget and it becomes fish paper.

"Both sides are the same" is a deliberate ploy used by conservative media to disaffect people into thinking there's no reason to get out and vote to evict the usually conservative government.
It's an excuse used by basically incredibly self centered people to justify voting for what they know to be a bunch of corrupt arseholes. Knowing that the tories will be taking the piss but at least they will keep taxes down. Everything else they don't give a fuck about.

It's important to say that those that vote tory own the shit show of our government.

Many Conservatives are typically in comparatively safe seats, seats which often tend to be more affluent, and that can mean they do not require the same degree of effort and attention. That also means a long-sitting MP has greater freedom (temptation?) to take on other positions.

It is a system that is in need of overhauling but, unsurprisingly, MPs only ever see ‘the other place’ as requiring reform.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.