7. Table Tennis - no idea
8. Baseball - no idea
9. American Football - Dan Marino
9. Rugby - Gareth Edwards
10. Golf - Jack Nicklaus

Football - Messi
Basketball - MJ
Hockey - Gretzky
Tennis - Connors or Roger, although if you go by the other 3 geniuses in their sport the tennis equivalent for men might be McEnroe or Navratilova for women

There are other iconic athletes in different sports that really were memorable for their genius like Carl Lewis, Eric Heiden, Ingemar Stenmark, Yuna Kim or Oksana Baiul

Only its athletes? Probably not worth going down this road in this context, mate, and I don't want to start a polemic, but Hattie McDaniel — the first Afro-American of any kind to be awarded an Oscar — was not allowed to sit at the same table with her white co-stars at the presentation ceremony. The film was Gone With The Wind. She was also not allowed to attend the premiere in Atlanta. None of the black cast were.

Good shout for Sobers, by the way. It can certainly be defended. I suspect that virtually all of cricket-following India would want Sachin Tendulkar as the ultimate icon. If I've understood it rightly, he is a kind of god over there. Question is, which cricketer has global iconic status, instantly recognisable even to people who couldn't give a monkeys about cricket?
Not easy, is it?
Not only athletes, of course; I just wanted to stick to that.
Sachin certainly a god in India; we can argue these all day! Suspect Sobers bigger icon globally, maybe?

1. Football - Pele
2. Cricket - Viv Richards
3. Basketball - Jordan
4. Field hockey - only know the British Barcelona mob and the Girls from Rio
5. Tennis - Federer
6. Volleyball - Any of the beach women’s teams
7. Table Tennis - definitely not that cheating twat Syed
8. Baseball - Jackie Robinson or the Bambino but also have a soft spot for Cal Ripken
9. American Football - John Madden
9. Rugby - Jonah Lomu
10. Golf - Jack Nicklaus but you would have to say that with the efforts of Arnold Palmer and Gary Player put presentday golf where it is.
11. Boxing - Ali

Tennis is comfortably Federer. I'm surprised anyone is suggesting anyone but Federer.
Rod Lever or Federer.

And the biggest British icon would be Fred Perry. Maybe across any sport! 19 major championships, either on his own or in doubles or as part of a team in the Davis Cup.

And iconically, this:
0743fe5033b60b16a747f60e6f3c863a.jpg

Is Great Britain’s version of this:
air-jordan-jumpman-behind-the-logo-feat.jpg

Well this has took off from the O/P's list of ten
He should have asked us to name our fave sports stars, from the sports we like simplezzzzz.
Or as I think every one is fed up ? ;-)

Missing Bradman (arguably the statistically best sportsman of all time) and Wayne Gretzky yet including a bloody hot dog eating contest winner is bloody criminal!

Yeah i didnt understand why they spoilt an article with that shit....the others are very good claims as the best however....its talking about people who compete in individual sports...not teams i thibk hence why the omission of the two you mention

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.