The worlds top sports and your opinion of the biggest icon

Lewis would be the choice of many, for sure. He would have been my choice, until Bolt came along. Apart from his ridiculous times and medals, Bolt is a star who has contributed to making track and field sexy on the world stage, as no-one before him had. Now I understand that not everyone may like his antics, he may even annoy plenty (it annoys me that he's one of these know-nothing-about-Manchester rags from a distance, but that's by the by). He is iconic, as I understand the word. A good case could also be made for Jesse Owens, if only for Berlin.
Two Americans, one Jamaican. All black.
As for drugs: Nesta Carter was convicted of doping, and Bolt was found guilty by association. But as far as I know, Bolt's never been convicted of directly using drugs himself.

The single most iconic ‘moment’ in track and field, incidentally, for someone of my generation, is the Tommie Smith John Carlos black power salute in Mexico in ’68. Right or wrong — and they were pilloried for it in the States, by the way — that was extraordinary. It went beyond sport. It was the times. Just a very personal choice of mine.
America has treated its black athletes so badly in the past.
Jesse Owens was the only medallist not invited to the White House celebration. For an invitation to a celebratory dinner in NY he had to enter the hotel via the goods lift.
Smith and Carlos never represented the US after Mexico.

Interesting. But then perhaps we have to start assessing the careers of people like Dempsey (who I never saw, of course)? The OP did say, in fairness, that ‘iconic’ does not necessarily mean the best. I think I know what he means by making that distinction. And though I'll always defend Pelé to the death, it could be argued that Maradona was the more ‘iconic’ footballer, for reasons bad as well as good (people who saw Garrincha play — my stepfather was one of them — said that he was a freak of nature, never to be repeated. It has to be allowed, though, that his star burned very brightly, but waned very quickly). On the same grounds, although Bradman is The Man in Australia, and probably the best batsman that's ever lived, I really don't think he's the iconic cricketer on the world stage. Too modest, perhaps.

Interestingly, for Ali himself, it was Jack Johnson that he looked up to. There is always a master of the master.
I would put Garfield Sobers as the cricket icon.

I would go with Jesse Owens I think they both won four golds at one olympics 100,200, long jump and relay. I think because Jesse did it first and in Berlin Pissing off Hitler the Germans and many a racist is some achievement. The biggest fuck you to not only the Germans but many of his own countrymen as well. Absolute legend.
The story that Hitler snubbed Owens and refused to present his medals is not true. Hitler decided to present medals onlý to German athletes, but, after a while was persuaded that that looked bad, so he stopped presenting them at all.

The story that Hitler snubbed Owens and refused to present his medals is not true. Hitler decided to present medals onlý to German athletes, but, after a while was persuaded that that looked bad, so he stopped presenting them at all.

Good info he was still pissed though which was nice

America has treated its black athletes so badly in the past.

Only its athletes? Probably not worth going down this road in this context, mate, and I don't want to start a polemic, but Hattie McDaniel — the first Afro-American of any kind to be awarded an Oscar — was not allowed to sit at the same table with her white co-stars at the presentation ceremony. The film was Gone With The Wind. She was also not allowed to attend the premiere in Atlanta. None of the black cast were.

Good shout for Sobers, by the way. It can certainly be defended. I suspect that virtually all of cricket-following India would want Sachin Tendulkar as the ultimate icon. If I've understood it rightly, he is a kind of god over there. Question is, which cricketer has global iconic status, instantly recognisable even to people who couldn't give a monkeys about cricket?
Not easy, is it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.