The worlds top sports and your opinion of the biggest icon

Yes, and didn't he miss an average of 100 by getting out for a duck (first ball?) in his final innings that would have got him there?

So after Bradman, how about the great Jack Simmons?
In other sports, Pele in football, Laver or Nadal in tennis, Colin Meads in rugby union, and no one will have heard of my nominee in rugby league.
It was actually a second ball duck. He only needed to score 4 runs in that innings to get an average of 100. The story goes when Eric Hollies bowled him he immediately went up to Bradman and apologized to him for getting him out!

Yes, and didn't he miss an average of 100 by getting out for a duck (first ball?) in his final innings that would have got him there?

In other sports, Pele in football, Laver or Nadal in tennis, Colin Meads in rugby union, and no one will have heard of my nominee in rugby league.
I will have. I’m a big RL fan.

Andrew Johns is who I consider the greatest.

Boxing - Sugar Ray Robinson

Record - 200 fights; 172 wins; 109 by KO; 19 losses; 6 draws; 2NCs

His record by 1951 when he was 30, was 128-1.

Interesting. But then perhaps we have to start assessing the careers of people like Dempsey (who I never saw, of course)? The OP did say, in fairness, that ‘iconic’ does not necessarily mean the best. I think I know what he means by making that distinction. And though I'll always defend Pelé to the death, it could be argued that Maradona was the more ‘iconic’ footballer, for reasons bad as well as good (people who saw Garrincha play — my stepfather was one of them — said that he was a freak of nature, never to be repeated. It has to be allowed, though, that his star burned very brightly, but waned very quickly). On the same grounds, although Bradman is The Man in Australia, and probably the best batsman that's ever lived, I really don't think he's the iconic cricketer on the world stage. Too modest, perhaps.

Interestingly, for Ali himself, it was Jack Johnson that he looked up to. There is always a master of the master.

No debate about track and field, anybody?
I've got my candidate — who will surprise nobody — but I'd be curious to hear other points of view argued.
Karl Lewis?

Gold medals in 100m, 200m and long jump. Iconic, for sure. Wasn’t a drug cheat, which helps!

Lewis would be the choice of many, for sure. He would have been my choice, until Bolt came along. Apart from his ridiculous times and medals, Bolt is a star who has contributed to making track and field sexy on the world stage, as no-one before him had. Now I understand that not everyone may like his antics, he may even annoy plenty (it annoys me that he's one of these know-nothing-about-Manchester rags from a distance, but that's by the by). He is iconic, as I understand the word. A good case could also be made for Jesse Owens, if only for Berlin.
Two Americans, one Jamaican. All black.
As for drugs: Nesta Carter was convicted of doping, and Bolt was found guilty by association. But as far as I know, Bolt's never been convicted of directly using drugs himself.

The single most iconic ‘moment’ in track and field, incidentally, for someone of my generation, is the Tommie Smith John Carlos black power salute in Mexico in ’68. Right or wrong — and they were pilloried for it in the States, by the way — that was extraordinary. It went beyond sport. It was the times. Just a very personal choice of mine.

I don’t know the reason for this but why didn’t he play another game? Stopping on 99.94 would drive me crazy for as long as I lived.

Karl Lewis?

Gold medals in 100m, 200m and long jump. Iconic, for sure. Wasn’t a drug cheat, which helps!

I would go with Jesse Owens I think they both won four golds at one olympics 100,200, long jump and relay. I think because Jesse did it first and in Berlin Pissing off Hitler the Germans and many a racist is some achievement. The biggest fuck you to not only the Germans but many of his own countrymen as well. Absolute legend.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.