The worst thing about farcical officiating

Great Post!
Isn't it 4 pens in 5 seasons though?
18/19 Martial
19/20 Fish Fingers (given by VAR the season PGMOL went against Fifa guidance)
20/21 The Portuguese Rat
22/23 Martial

Our last league pen at home was 2007 (they got one in the same match)

Our last away pen in the league was 1992
Absolutely!
I'd completely forgotten their penalty from this season.

Absolutely!
I'd completely forgotten their penalty from this season.
Easily done when they get so many.

I pointed this out to a lad in work yesterd who was born in 1994 and was shocked when he realised the last pen we got there was before he was born.
He thought we should have had one on Saturday but concluded it would never be given considering how long ago it was and to quote one particularly odious, obnoxious individual "not in my lifetime"

In the last five seasons United have been awarded three penalties at the ETIHAD.
One of them had been spotted by VAR, but all were correct decisions, and ultimately dispatched by Rashford, Lukaku, and Martial.

It’s a tad more difficult to recall the last three City players to score a penalty at Old Trafford, especially as one of them died in 1969.
It’s not even sour grapes, because the most blatant non-decision was the foul on Micah Richards in a certain 6-1 victory in 2011

Everyone remembers Keane’s challenge on Haaland, but how many people can recall that United were gifted more penalties in that game than City have been awarded in Pl derbies since.

Of course, if it was just the spot-kick disparity, I’d put it all down to fluky coincidence.

Similarly, if it was just the Rashford offside, or just the Cantona penalty (when nobody had appealed), or just the Kompany Red Card after five minutes, (in the days when match officials were actively encouraged to indulge an early reckless challenge by Paul Scholes) or even the late Michael Owen goal when the referee invoked an added time rule that I’ve never since seen repeated

If these decisions really do balance-out, then perhaps I’ve forgotten a Manchester Derby when United suffered from outrageous misfortune.

There’s definitely a pattern, but it’s a clever, subtle pattern.

Last season, VAR allowed the referee to overrule the initial offside, for Mahrez’ last minute goal v United, but critically, the result was already done and dusted.
In fact, City have probably won more soft penalties and benefited from more VAR decisions than virtually every Premier League opponent.

We were also fortunate at Goodison last season when there wasn’t quite enough concrete evidence to suggest that the referee had made a clear and obvious error when giving Rodri the benefit of the doubt.

Undoubtedly, we occasionally profit, but never in certain situations against certain teams.

Exactly the same against Liverpool when every man and his dog expected Milner to receive a second yellow card last season. We might be given the occasional penalty, but usually in a COVID season behind closed doors, and never in a Semi Final or Final. Meanwhile Alf Grey continues to haunt, as Micah Richards somehow concedes a penalty from kicking a ball against his own face.
“The late Michael Owen”

You got my hopes up there ;-)

Bruno Fernandes goal is "biggest farce" and could cost Man City the Premier League title​

ROBBIE SAVAGE COLUMN: Bruno Fernandes scored a controversial equaliser for Man Utd in last weekend's Manchester derby and with things tight in the top four, it could have a big bearing on the final positions

Great Post!
Isn't it 4 pens in 5 seasons though?
18/19 Martial
19/20 Fish Fingers (given by VAR the season PGMOL went against Fifa guidance)
20/21 The Portuguese Rat
22/23 Martial

Our last league pen at home was 2007 (they got one in the same match)

Our last away pen in the league was 1992
Was our last one the pen that Vassell punted into Claremont Road in the last couple of minutes?

IIRC he hit it down the middle and Van Der Sar saved it with his legs.
I remember it was a shit pen and said to the woman sat behind me that I thought he would miss as he didn't look confident.
Was it the Pearce season and would have been our first home goal since Xmas?
If so I’m probably mixing it up with one Barton skied into orbit v Villa

Was it the Pearce season and would have been out only hime goal since Xmas?
If so I’m probably mixing it up with one Barton skied into orbit v Villa
It was indeed 2007.
We were given scarves by the club that day left on our seats.
I also remember because I was sat in NS1 that season and Vassell missed at that end.
I think you're right about Barton too, we rarely lose at home to Villa but did that season and now you've said it I think he did sky one that day.

It was indeed 2007.
I also remember because I was sat in NS1 that season and Vassell missed at that end.
I think you're right about Barton too, we rarely lose at home to Villa but did that season and now you've said it I think he did sky one that day.
Yep and Isaacson let in a really soft free kick due to his poppadom wrists

It was indeed 2007.
I didn't get a scarf. I wonder If I could claim one retrospectively

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.