The Youth

My lad has started teaching PE in China. He is on 35k a year and his rent is €350 a month for a lakeside apartment. His school provides lunch and dinner and, in six months, his bills have been less than £100. Meanwhile, my daughter pays £1800 a month for an apartment in Ancoats. She is very successful, but admits that she and her boyfriend cannot save.

The median salary in the UK is 34k. That's 2262 nett per month. For young people it is far less. The average house price is now £268k. Average rents are now 1300. Utility bills 160. Council tax £172. Before food, transport, childcare, clothes, and insurance, that leaves the average person with £630 per month.

If I was just entering the employment market, it wouldn't be in the UK.

Last edited:
My lad has started teaching PE in China. He is on 35k a year and his rent is €350 a month for a lakeside apartment. His school provides lunch and dinner, and in six months, his bills have been less than £100. Meanwhile, my daughter pays £1800 a month for an apartment in Ancoats. She is very successful, but admits that she and her boyfriend cannot save.

The median salary in the UK is 34k. That's 2262 nett per month. For young people it is far less. The average house price is now £268k. Average rents are now 1300. Utility bills 160. Council tax £172. Before food, transport, childcare, clothes, and insurance, that leaves the average person with £630 per month.

If I was just entering the employment market, it wouldn't be in the UK.
Does she work in Manchester? Why notlive further out and save at least £600 a month, no doubt she will have a maintenance charge on that as well? I do sympathize with many young people on that score but also I they need to temper expectations, living in a city centre throwing that sort of cash away seems a bit short sighted. I put on a shared ownership in Royton, she’d need a mortgage of £100k plus rent, those combined would still be cheaper than her rent and she’d be in the housing market. There are ways round things just lower expectations for a few years.

Does she work in Manchester? Why notlive further out and save at least £600 a month, no doubt she will have a maintenance charge on that as well? I do sympathize with many young people on that score but also I they need to temper expectations, living in a city centre throwing that sort of cash away seems a bit short sighted.
She works in Manchester and across the EU. She could live further out, but then transport costs are so high and you start to wonder what you are working for. This was just part of a general conversation, not a complaining rant - she chooses where she lives but so many young people don't have that choice.

My dad believed that things were just as tough in his day, until we worked out that his first home was bought with 90 weeks of net pay. That house is now £300k. 90 weeks of net pay at the median salary is just under £51k. It isn't just house prices - many, many industries are gone and salaries have just not kept pace with the cost of living.

They are NOT stupid they are not something he have to suffer they are the FUTURE of this country - the sooner the dinosaurs and Turfton St melons get their head around this the better the future. One of the major reasons that the Tories were battered was the youth fucking hate them and don't want a Downton Abbey future
Is this an argument you are just hoping to start or have we walked in on one that you'd already got going?
I blame Brexit.

She works in Manchester and across the EU. She could live further out, but then transport costs are so high and you start to wonder what you are working for. This was just part of a general conversation, not a complaining rant - she chooses where she lives but so many young people don't have that choice.

My dad believed that things were just as tough in his day, until we worked out that his first home was bought with 90 weeks of net pay. That house is now £300k. 90 weeks of net pay at the median salary is just under £51k. It isn't just house prices - many, many industries are gone and salaries have just not kept pace with the cost of living.
I agree mate but bite the bullet on transport costs and get on the ladder, I know about what you are working for but it needs a long term plan, totally agree about the cost of housing tried to tell my 79 year old dad about it he just wouldn’t have it! There is a house near me mate, it’s not bad and for some reason it’s not selling I think because it’s maybe not done to a high spec, it’s certainly liveable and it’s an ok area (apart from I live here lol) it’s gone from £260k down to currently £220k and I reckon you get that down a bit, it’s a bargain, you are 10 mins from the tram some decent pubs and if that way inclined the schools are good.
Many seem to want brand new everything, house, car, holidays etc but especially now that’s not possible, certainly lifestyle wise city centre boozing unless you go to the Millstone is fucking expensive.

My dad believed that things were just as tough in his day, until we worked out that his first home was bought with 90 weeks of net pay. That house is now £300k. 90 weeks of net pay at the median salary is just under £51k. It isn't just house prices - many, many industries are gone and salaries have just not kept pace with CAPITALIST GREED

They don’t. Facebook is for the first generation of SM users.

The median age of Facebook users is about 40. It’s technically a millennial platform but a lot of the people who engage with it frequently and post most often are older than that. I have an account but I don’t actually ever use it. People like me skew the stats quite a bit.

In our family there are three Facebook users, my mum and dad who are both in their 60s and my sister who is 35.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.