The Youth

The median age of Facebook users is about 40. It’s technically a millennial platform but a lot of the people who engage with it frequently and post most often are older than that. I have an account but I don’t actually ever use it. People like me skew the stats quite a bit.

In our family there are three Facebook users, my mum and dad who are both in their 60s and my sister who is 35.
it took over from friends reunited/my space for us Gen Xers getting in touch with people we had not seen in years, youngtsers use snapchat etc these days

I agree mate but bite the bullet on transport costs and get on the ladder, I know about what you are working for but it needs a long term plan, totally agree about the cost of housing tried to tell my 79 year old dad about it he just wouldn’t have it! There is a house near me mate, it’s not bad and for some reason it’s not selling I think because it’s maybe not done to a high spec, it’s certainly liveable and it’s an ok area (apart from I live here lol) it’s gone from £260k down to currently £220k and I reckon you get that down a bit, it’s a bargain, you are 10 mins from the tram some decent pubs and if that way inclined the schools are good.
Many seem to want brand new everything, house, car, holidays etc but especially now that’s not possible, certainly lifestyle wise city centre boozing unless you go to the Millstone is fucking expensive.
She is moving to Scotland shortly but thanks for the link.
Even 220k is £1200 a month. It is madness.
It's an extreme example but I paid off my first mortgage in four years!

Back to the purpose of the thread, young people are just rejecting many of the principles that my generation lived by. I was raised that you get educated, get a job, get married, buy a house and have kids. I didn't know myself when I was younger, but now I do there is no way that such a linear path would be my choice. I certainly wouldn't be doing the swathes of unpaid overtime in the belief that it would help my career, nor marrying at an age when I didn't even know who I was. I would be off seeing the world, realising that health and wellbeing should be my driving forces.

She is moving to Scotland shortly but thanks for the link.
Even 220k is £1200 a month. It is madness.
It's an extreme example but I paid off my first mortgage in four years!

Back to the purpose of the thread, young people are just rejecting many of the principles that my generation lived by. I was raised that you get educated, get a job, get married, buy a house and have kids. I didn't know myself when I was younger, but now I do there is no way that such a linear path would be my choice. I certainly wouldn't be doing the swathes of unpaid overtime in the belief that it would help my career, nor marrying at an age when I didn't even know who I was. I would be off seeing the world, realising that health and wellbeing should be my driving forces.
£1200 bloody hell thats ridiculous, Im like you, when I was younger I joined the RAF to see the world, I did a fair bit of travelling had a kid in my 40s! settling down in your 20s these days is madness.

My lad has started teaching PE in China. He is on 35k a year and his rent is €350 a month for a lakeside apartment. His school provides lunch and dinner and, in six months, his bills have been less than £100. Meanwhile, my daughter pays £1800 a month for an apartment in Ancoats. She is very successful, but admits that she and her boyfriend cannot save.

The median salary in the UK is 34k. That's 2262 nett per month. For young people it is far less. The average house price is now £268k. Average rents are now 1300. Utility bills 160. Council tax £172. Before food, transport, childcare, clothes, and insurance, that leaves the average person with £630 per month.

If I was just entering the employment market, it wouldn't be in the UK.
I moved to Dubai last year to continue my teaching career. If I hadn’t, I’d have left teaching as it’s pretty shit in the UK. Living alone, I was left with around £300-£400 disposable income a month to pay for petrol, food and leisure after I’d paid my dues.

Now I’m taking home around £40k tax free, don’t pay for my apartment or medical insurance, bills are covered by the school and I’ve moved up a position in school. I’ve paid off most of my credit card debts, had 5 holidays of a life time this last year and bought a car. Things that I couldn’t do, or had to prepare months to do in the UK. Not to mention the added benefits of the lifestyle.

This year I’ll start at private pension fund, and look to start saving, but I already can’t envisage moving back to the UK for many years. Your lads done right, and firsthand can see why so many are looking elsewhere.

I just watched a video (no idea why I was watching it :)) that had all these graphs and facts, it said hordes of young professional and skilled people are fucking off abroad and leaving the UK. They get their degree or trade and leave for better money etc. People are moving into the UK but less qualified people.
Don't know if it's true as I haven't lived there for nearly 40 years.
It was always true. Perhaps more at the mo. But we keep turning them out.
I remember the commander in the Falkland Islands war whose men yomped all night across the island and then fought the battle of Goose Green.
“Don’t complain about our youth; the average age of those troops was nineteen or twenty years.”

I moved to Dubai last year to continue my teaching career. If I hadn’t, I’d have left teaching as it’s pretty shit in the UK. Living alone, I was left with around £300-£400 disposable income a month to pay for petrol, food and leisure after I’d paid my dues.

Now I’m taking home around £40k tax free, don’t pay for my apartment or medical insurance, bills are covered by the school and I’ve moved up a position in school. I’ve paid off most of my credit card debts, had 5 holidays of a life time this last year and bought a car. Things that I couldn’t do, or had to prepare months to do in the UK. Not to mention the added benefits of the lifestyle.

This year I’ll start at private pension fund, and look to start saving, but I already can’t envisage moving back to the UK for many years. Your lads done right, and firsthand can see why so many are looking elsewhere.
My daughter worked as a teacher for three years in Dubai and three in Vietnam and did plenty of travelling in the hols. When she came back, she paid for two lots of IVF (plus two more NHS) and is now house hunting as she still has enough for a deposit. Oh and a son!

She works in Manchester and across the EU. She could live further out, but then transport costs are so high and you start to wonder what you are working for. This was just part of a general conversation, not a complaining rant - she chooses where she lives but so many young people don't have that choice.

My dad believed that things were just as tough in his day, until we worked out that his first home was bought with 90 weeks of net pay. That house is now £300k. 90 weeks of net pay at the median salary is just under £51k. It isn't just house prices - many, many industries are gone and salaries have just not kept pace with the cost of living.
My thought is that there should be no such thing as peak or off peak fares (on the train). It's unfair on workers.
Why you have to pay a surcharge to go to work, often to stand in cramped and potentially unsafe conditions, baffles me.

My thought is that there should be no such thing as peak or off peak fares (on the train). It's unfair on workers.
Why you have to pay a surcharge to go to work, often to stand in cramped and potentially unsafe conditions, baffles me.

The majority of train fares are unrealistic for most people, considering their objective which is to get people about it's one of the main things Labour should sort out in the short term.

Cost of living is ridiculous.

They are NOT stupid they are not something he have to suffer they are the FUTURE of this country - the sooner the dinosaurs and Turfton St melons get their head around this the better the future. One of the major reasons that the Tories were battered was the youth fucking hate them and don't want a Downton Abbey future
How's the head today?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.