These so called city "glory hunters"

seattleblue33 said:
Hey guys. At the end of this I am pretty sure I am going to get ripped for this but here is the story of one so called glory hunter.

1st and foremost I was a basketball player and am a full-time college basketball coach. I was born (1982) and raised in seattle washington and am a huge supporter of our local teams: UW Huskies (college), Seahawks (american football), and Mariners (baseball).

In 2008 my heart was ripped out and with the help of the NBA commissioner our NBA team, the Supersonics, was moved 2000 miles to Oklahoma City. I am still not over it. That being said i dont follow an NBA team anymore just the NBA. I needed something to fill that hole. NFL and MLB are too "stop and go for me". My little brother was always a big soccer man and played in college. Quite frankly, I often mocked the sport. But he kept telling me how great the Premier was. The crowds, the rivalries, the stars, the promotions, the relagations etc. I decided, ok, I gonna give this a chance. Watch a few games.

He was a chelsea fan. So Im not gonna follow them. United? Ha, I'm not rooting for the Yankees. Arsenal and liverpool seemed like Lakers and Celtics to me, so no go there. So as a basketball fan I've always loved guys with flair, flash, and style (Vince Carter, Shawn Kemp, Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, Gary Payton etc) even if that meant they didn't end up as hall of famers.

As an an american with the just a passing interest in soccer I enjoyed the Brazilian National Team for the same qualities I liked certain basketball players. Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, etc.

So when looking for a premier league team outside of the top four I looked for who had "Brazilians". And who had that flair. At that that it was City and Robinho. Later is was adebayor (not brazilian i know but a still a player with some "flair"). I had no idea who owned City or what their story was but they were fun and seemed to be on the up and up. They had fun entertaining players (craig bellamy, SWP, JO).

Now, I would watch the Champions league final before I'd watch Game 6 of last years NBA finals (and that finals was aaaaaamazing.)

I'm on Bluemoon at least 5 times a day (too scared to post due to my lack of soccer knowledge). Im checking out goal.com, bleacherreport, epltalk, teamtalk (for the paper rundown) for all the news.

But i really do love following Man City. I can't wait to up at 4:30 am and silently cheer at the top of my lungs so as not to wake up my roommates. I was over the moon when they came to vancouver to play in the preseason. I consider myself a fan in the best way I can be. It pains me to see Ade, Bells and SWP on the way out cuz THOSE are the guys that really truly made me a fan. When I showed my roommates Ade's celebration vs Arsenal, they immediately said, "Yeah, thats your guy, and thats your team".

And this is where I get ripped. You guys sound like an indie band's fans who finally have a hit and our the radio now and are successful and therefore generate worldwide fans, which helps them be even more successful. But now, no one can be a fan of this band/team unless you were born and bred in Manchester. If one of you guys was a Seahawks fan, I would be like WHOA. I would wanna know how and why you became fan, (BTW the hawks literally had moving vans at their training camp ready to move out of town until Paul Allen, microsoft billionaire, bought them. So I know a thing or two about being the worst team in the league then being saved and becoming a 1st class org)

I just think the more the merrier. You have a team FULL of rockstars (Aguero, Silva, Yaya, Hart, Tevez, Balotelli etc). Let them be rockstars. Help fans like myself with intelligent conversation on blue moon. Educate me on soccer, the positions. Why Nasri is a better fit than Modric. Why Robinho sucked and Aguero won't. Post the songs on youtube so I can sing them at 4:30 am. A slap on the back and a welcome to the rollercoaster that is being a city fan would go a lot farther than the condescension im seeing here. I'm doing the best I can. This year is the 1st year Fox is making all games HD (WOOT WOOT!!!!!). Almost every premier league game on the tube. It getting easier to be a fan. Embrace us, dont push us away.

Thanks guys.

(And yes I go to sounders games and follow them a little but its low low level soccer. I love american football but I wont watch the CFL or the Euroleague when they had it. I wanna watch the best play the best play the best. And thats EPL and Champions league. Sorry for the length. Proceed to with the ripping)
Do you know what? This is possibly one of the best post's i've read on this forum! It summarises all the reasons why we should welcome new supporters of manchester city. I loved the words " I am a fan in the best way I can be" If all city fans were," as good a fan as they could be", there would be no resentment of new fans . If one supporter can afford a season ticket and another can't, does that make one better than the other? If somebody from the other side of the world chooses to favour City over another prem side I for one welcome them and thank them for their support , (and revenue on shirts etc. ) I can't wait until my beloved City is a worldwide brand, but as a long time City supporter I will miss the special feeling i get when i see someone in a city shirt in a far away country and can utter the words " Alright blue " in the knowledge that he or she has at least a connection to Manchester!

Welcome to the fold seattle blue !

Confession of a gloryhunter since 2007

Born in Brighton (consider myself a Northerner as all Southerners to me speak French), lived in Penarth, Cardiff, Didcot and Oxford before moving to Leeds 2001.
Because my parents divorced when I was 2 and I lived with my mum I went to very little football before late 70's. Friend took me to QPR, got my first season ticket there in 1981 and had one till moved to Leeds in 2001. Even though I work for the Railways it was too hard to keep going to QPR (shiftwork, finances etc).
I've always liked all football so embarked on five year odyssey of going to loads of different football while seeing QPR whenever I could. When Sven, who I admired as a manager, went to City I went to CoMS to see a game early in 2007. I felt instantly at home, the attitude and humour was so like the QPR fans and went to about five games or so before getting a half year seasoncard in December. Been here ever since.
Get loads of abuse for being a turncoat but I can't help it. It's the City fans that are in my heart now more than the club. I just find they're the best I've come across - I'm loyal to them. City could win nothing till the end of time (lets face it all QPR ever gave me in over 30 years was a Div.2 championship in 82/83 !) and I would still be here

*edit* Still a QPR supporters club member, never gave that up but a City seasoncard holder from now on

Confession ends

thing is, if you're a new fan why admit to knowing nothing about our club when you could have set half an hour and read up a bit about on us, even on wikipedia would be a start.

I just don't think there's an excuse to be a fan yet not be interested enough to read up on us. That's what irks me, people who follow us and go "yay Aguero, Silva, Tevez! wooo!" but won't know who the hell Alan Oakes is and even more so won't know anybody from the dark days.

seattleblue33 said:
Hey guys. At the end of this I am pretty sure I am going to get ripped for this but here is the story of one so called glory hunter.

1st and foremost I was a basketball player and am a full-time college basketball coach. I was born (1982) and raised in seattle washington and am a huge supporter of our local teams: UW Huskies (college), Seahawks (american football), and Mariners (baseball).

In 2008 my heart was ripped out and with the help of the NBA commissioner our NBA team, the Supersonics, was moved 2000 miles to Oklahoma City. I am still not over it. That being said i dont follow an NBA team anymore just the NBA. I needed something to fill that hole. NFL and MLB are too "stop and go for me". My little brother was always a big soccer man and played in college. Quite frankly, I often mocked the sport. But he kept telling me how great the Premier was. The crowds, the rivalries, the stars, the promotions, the relagations etc. I decided, ok, I gonna give this a chance. Watch a few games.

He was a chelsea fan. So Im not gonna follow them. United? Ha, I'm not rooting for the Yankees. Arsenal and liverpool seemed like Lakers and Celtics to me, so no go there. So as a basketball fan I've always loved guys with flair, flash, and style (Vince Carter, Shawn Kemp, Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, Gary Payton etc) even if that meant they didn't end up as hall of famers.

As an an american with the just a passing interest in soccer I enjoyed the Brazilian National Team for the same qualities I liked certain basketball players. Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, etc.

So when looking for a premier league team outside of the top four I looked for who had "Brazilians". And who had that flair. At that that it was City and Robinho. Later is was adebayor (not brazilian i know but a still a player with some "flair"). I had no idea who owned City or what their story was but they were fun and seemed to be on the up and up. They had fun entertaining players (craig bellamy, SWP, JO).

Now, I would watch the Champions league final before I'd watch Game 6 of last years NBA finals (and that finals was aaaaaamazing.)

I'm on Bluemoon at least 5 times a day (too scared to post due to my lack of soccer knowledge). Im checking out goal.com, bleacherreport, epltalk, teamtalk (for the paper rundown) for all the news.

But i really do love following Man City. I can't wait to up at 4:30 am and silently cheer at the top of my lungs so as not to wake up my roommates. I was over the moon when they came to vancouver to play in the preseason. I consider myself a fan in the best way I can be. It pains me to see Ade, Bells and SWP on the way out cuz THOSE are the guys that really truly made me a fan. When I showed my roommates Ade's celebration vs Arsenal, they immediately said, "Yeah, thats your guy, and thats your team".

And this is where I get ripped. You guys sound like an indie band's fans who finally have a hit and our the radio now and are successful and therefore generate worldwide fans, which helps them be even more successful. But now, no one can be a fan of this band/team unless you were born and bred in Manchester. If one of you guys was a Seahawks fan, I would be like WHOA. I would wanna know how and why you became fan, (BTW the hawks literally had moving vans at their training camp ready to move out of town until Paul Allen, microsoft billionaire, bought them. So I know a thing or two about being the worst team in the league then being saved and becoming a 1st class org)

I just think the more the merrier. You have a team FULL of rockstars (Aguero, Silva, Yaya, Hart, Tevez, Balotelli etc). Let them be rockstars. Help fans like myself with intelligent conversation on blue moon. Educate me on soccer, the positions. Why Nasri is a better fit than Modric. Why Robinho sucked and Aguero won't. Post the songs on youtube so I can sing them at 4:30 am. A slap on the back and a welcome to the rollercoaster that is being a city fan would go a lot farther than the condescension im seeing here. I'm doing the best I can. This year is the 1st year Fox is making all games HD (WOOT WOOT!!!!!). Almost every premier league game on the tube. It getting easier to be a fan. Embrace us, dont push us away.

Thanks guys.

(And yes I go to sounders games and follow them a little but its low low level soccer. I love american football but I wont watch the CFL or the Euroleague when they had it. I wanna watch the best play the best play the best. And thats EPL and Champions league. Sorry for the length. Proceed to with the ripping)

Great post. As for Ade, I think we all wish he could have been the player he looked like at the start of the 09/10 season, but unfortunately staying power and consistency has never been what he's about - at any of his clubs, not just City. Given the current circumstances surrounding him, it was for the best that he left. You could say much the same about Bellamy, and I think we're all to a man going to miss SWP.

Ade's celebration against Arsenal at home though, that will definitey go down as one of the 'iconic' moments of City's ascendancy. In fact like all sorts of things from Yeboah's cross bar goal to Cantona's chip versus Sunderland (I think) to Phil Brown bollocking his Hull players assembled in a circle on our pitch, it's probably one of those iconic Premier League moments.

These so called city "glory hunters"

The wifes cousin who lives next door was a united fan all through childhood n teenage years suddenly changed over to city end of last season, he actually had the swamp painted across his bedroom walls by a local artist n all full kits the lot, used to try n give me stick bout city now he's got city shirts on the whole time

Count me in, I want glory and sucess for as many years as I have gone without seeing any, believe me that will never happen because I will not live that long (unfortunately).

I'm 39 and live in Luton. I first started to support City when i worked in Manchester in the early nineties. Living in Didsbury was easy for me to watch City at maine road. I dont get to watch the team as much as i like now due to a work accident which has left me with a disability. So living 180miles away does this make me a glory hunter?
Im proud to where my city shirt and sick and tired of seeing kids and grown men with Arsenal, Chelsea and rag shirts on when they dont even now where the blood ground is!

First time I surfed on this forum was when Emile Mpenza signed. He was a forgotten Belgian player, suddenly playing in the best league in the world. And he didn't do too bad either in his first games. Remarkable as it was, he was back then, one of the few Belgians playing in a top European league (much difference nowadays).
I came back one year later, and registrered, when one of the most aimable Belgian players and former Anderlecht (my favourite domestic team) star, Vinnie Kompany, signed for City. Became a regular visitor since then, not a regular poster though :p

Do I consider myself as a fan? Not really, I'm not entitled to I think, although City is my favourite team in Europe. The fans are those that are in the stands and support their team week in week out. The ones that follow this club for years, when things weren't going good, and kept supporting their team en masse during those difficult times.

And I have to say, following this forum for years, you cannot but have sympathy for you lot and this club. Stigmatized for the cash, ridiculed for not having instant succes (in the first 2 years after the take over), but yet City is here today, almost amongst the big European boys, knocking on the door and claiming for bigger succes. And the best of all is, City is there to stay :p

So am I a glory hunter? Maybe I am... Mea maxima culpa!

Not sure I am a glory hunter or anot, but this thread seems like fun so I'll post here.

I haven't really been following football until about 3 years ago. My dad & bro are United fans, but I didn't really liked them, even when I didn't know football, there's something about them that I didn't like.

So, like any new sports fan, they pick their own team. During that time, I didn't know that City were rich and wealthy, but City started to catch my eye being the talk of the town. And believe it or anot, what really attracted me to support them is the sky blue, and yes, club colours DO factor into a foreign supporter's decision.

Right now, been supporting City and haven't regretted it. But what really kept my support wasn't the wealth, the future, etc, but it was the fans. I occasionally browse forums like RagCafe, Toons', Kop's, and it's safe to say, we have one of the best fans around. From the support, the passion, the community and the friendliness, City had them all.

I don't think I'm a glory hunter in a way. I swore myself to support City through thick and thin, because no other fans out there are as nice, as friendly, as wacky as City fans.

Good job guys, us foreign supporters cannot join in at the stadiums, but I would like to thank you guys for making us proud to be City fans.

P.S. I hated red.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.