They Shall Not Grow Old ~ Documentary

Downloaded a copy and watched it last night. Eyeopening and heart breaking stuff. The narration and stories the veterans provided were revelatory. I had no idea they were trained so quickly (6 weeks) and brought to the front. On my father's side, his uncles both served in the War when the Americans joined in late in the conflict. I remember finding a WWI knife/bayonet in the family attic chest alone with some diaries they wrote from France. Wish I had read them. My mother's side is German, but their stories are pretty grim and sad. One of my grandfather's favorite books was All Quiet On The Western Front. I haven't seen the movie but plan to make a point of it now.

Downloaded a copy and watched it last night. Eyeopening and heart breaking stuff. The narration and stories the veterans provided were revelatory. I had no idea they were trained so quickly (6 weeks) and brought to the front. On my father's side, his uncles both served in the War when the Americans joined in late in the conflict. I remember finding a WWI knife/bayonet in the family attic chest alone with some diaries they wrote from France. Wish I had read them. My mother's side is German, but their stories are pretty grim and sad. One of my grandfather's favorite books was All Quiet On The Western Front. I haven't seen the movie but plan to make a point of it now.
I thought the soldiers' stories were as remarkable as the video. Like they were interviewed yesterday in some cases.

The fella with (presumably) shell-shock, walking toward the camera near the end, was particularly haunting.

Just watched it and thought it was amazing and harrowing. The colour and slowing of the film made it more real. There is s certain detachment when you watch the original footage, that had an effect, on me at least, that it was other worldly, the men shadows and robotic in their movements. This re-working brought the humanity to it and suddenly it was more powerful.

The old fellas giving their accounts was really moving. My great grandfather and two of his brothers and a few cousins served with the 51st Highlanders and the old photos my gran had they looked like the old footage. Somehow not real. This film made me imagine them in a different way.

The stories of how they fared once they returned was so sad. After enduring what they all went through, they were immediately forgotten and you could understand how many felt betrayed and abandoned.

The tradgedy here, is it seems not much has changed.

A brilliant piece of work that should be part of the curriculum of every kid at school.

The indifference from the people back home really shocked me, how detached they were from events not 300 miles away, no jobs for ex-army, shunned at every turn, the butcher asking if the soldier had been on nights, not knowing where he had been. Incredible and tragic in equal amounts.

I watched it at Ashton Cineworld in 3d on Friday night. Totally transfixed. There was a Q&A filmed interview with Peter Jackson afterwards about the making of it. That was very interesting too. They restored it firstly in black and white and then added colour to the bits which they wished to put in the film. They have restored over 100 hours of Great War footage in black and white, slowing the film and filling in the flickering images with cgi. He mentioned how this was just one aspect of the Great War - the British involvement. Similar films could be done, now they know how to do it, from other angles of the war, even the German angle! He and his team of restorers/film-makers created an absolute masterpiece and they deserve the highest of congratulations and, ultimately, thanks for doing so. RIP to all who served.

Paths of Glory with Kirk Douglas in the French army is another to add to your list. Arguably greatest anti-war film.

Really wish I’d gone to see this. They’re showing it on Arimistance Day on the BBC. Every school is also being sent a copy. Brave men, everybody including myself thinks of the wars as “events”, especially the First World War as many of us never spoke to anybody who experienced it. This documentary will really bring home how each and every person had a story and their own experiences.

Off to France and Belgium later this month to tour the battlefields and cemetery’s, great great grandads name is on the Theipval memorial for those who’s body’s we’re never found at the Somme. Looking forward to it and know it will be very emotional.

Thiepval. I went on an exchange before the Ewing offspring appeared on the scene to a school in Tourcoing, and when one of the French teachers heard that I was extremely interested in all things WW1 she dragooned her husband into organising a 'pilgrimage' for Mrs Ewing and I to the battlefields. She was born in Albert, and after we had done the tour - Vimy, Notre Dame de la Lorette, The Newfoundland Monument, the Ulster Tower and the Australian Memorial, she took us to meet one of her friends - a lovely old couple. He was an Italian (French bricklayers would have been very thin on the ground post-war) who had come to France after the war. He showed me a photograph of him and his workmates laying the foundations to the Thiepval memorial. I was reading just the other day that the bricks came from a Lille brickworks but they weren't engineering bricks so over the decades they began flaking and had to be replaced. The replacements started to flake and they faced the memorial a third time with bricks but this time chose what they should have done the first time - bricks from Accrington.

What surprised me somewhat about it, and it may just have been a feature of the different levels of decorum people had during those times, was how phlegmatic most of the commentator/veterans were, not just when referring to the fervour to enlist, but the 'matter of fact' way they just got on with things (to the point of appearing almost jolly when away from the front line) once they started to realise the full horror of the trenches...."It was just a job", "We did what needed to be done", "There was no complaining", etc etc.

My perception of the Great War had previously been influenced and jaundiced by books like the superb "Birdsong", and by my own great-grandfather's experience in the Somerset Light Infantry; joined up straight away, sent to the trenches in 1915, copped for a gas bomb on the Ypres Salient (Passchendaele) in 1917 and, as a result of his injuries, saw out the war in the Labour Corps. He then came home and got drunk almost every night, before going out in the rain looking for work and catching pneumonia and dying just 2 years after the war ended - his gas damaged lungs unable to fight off the infection. His final indignity was to be buried in an unmarked grave cos his family (wife and 5 destitute kids) couldn't afford a headstone, and to this day all anyone knows is that he's somewhere in Montacute churchyard.

The shots of the green gas rolling in toward the soldiers then had me tearing up, as did the recollections of how after demob, certain employers wouldn't take ex-soldiers on and the 'man in the street' had no conception of what the troops had been through. I can remember my grandad, who was 17 when my great grandfather died, telling me when I was a kid that his mother would berate his dad all the time about being a "lazy, drunken, good for nothing", when the poor bastard clearly had what we would all recognise today as PTSD and had been a real grafter before the war started.

Heart-breaking stuff and a wonderful job by Peter Jackson

His final indignity was to be buried in an unmarked grave cos his family (wife and 5 destitute kids) couldn't afford a headstone, and to this day all anyone knows is that he's somewhere in Montacute churchyard.

Unmarked graves are a bit of a theme in WWI, often for the reasons you mentioned.

Leyton Orient are wearing the same kit design that they wore at the time of WWI on Saturday.

They're then auctioning the shirts to raise money to pay for headstones for the unmarked graves, where some of their former players who served and died in WWI, are buried.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.