Thiago Silva

c-t-i-d-87 said:
We came in for an inordinate amount of criticism and even derision when we began to spend big, and our new players were publicly castigated for being mercenaries.

Historically, we've always been a big club, and domestically few can match our support. We play in arguably the strongest, most competitive league in the world - the envy of the rest of Europe.

So can someone please explain to me how, besides the money, we have anything in common with PSG? How PSG aren't subjected to the same abuse that we're used to?

PSG are a competitive club in Europe's 4th or 5th best league.

What motives, besides money, does one of football's most highly rated defenders have in a move to PSG?

Thiago Silva could theoretically play for any of Europe's top clubs, he currently plays for one of them no less.

I know I'm open to claims of hypocrisy, but I'm baffled by this transfer, I really just don't get it, there is no logic to it. If Thiago Silva moves to PSG he'll be demonstrating an astonishing lack of professional ambition.
There are lots of things, first of all Paris is a beautiful city and umm.... OK I got nothing

There's a strong belief that the French league could explode in the future (in a good way) but right now it is still down the list (6th on the coefficients list) and it's going to take some real effort from Lyon, Montpellier, etc., to stop it becoming a one-team league in the near future. PSG will be monsters soon and could be CL contenders in a few years. But this is a bit of strange move for Silva as he's 28 and this may be his last big move but I have a feeling he may have been pushed as he loves Milan and has said repeatedly he wants to stay and be the captain.

LoveCity said:
There's a strong belief that the French league could explode in the future (in a good way) but right now it is still down the list (6th on the coefficients list) and it's going to take some real effort from Lyon, Montpellier, etc., to stop it becoming a one-team league in the near future. PSG will be monsters soon and could be CL contenders in a few years. But this is a bit of strange move for Silva as he's 28 and this may be his last big move but I have a feeling he may have been pushed as he loves Milan and has said repeatedly he wants to stay and be the captain.

That's what this whole T.Silva transfer saga is all about but most people don't get it . PSG are building a team that could win the UCL in some years and players like Thiago Silva would be very important for ambitious teams . Its not about his age , its about the quality he brings to the team . We already have a team that can push for the UCL and compared to PSG , we are in a better position to achieve that dream but Thiago Silva might just be one of the 2 remaining pieces of the puzzle (a midfielder to cover for yaya being the final piece ) . He is currently rated as the best defender in the world right now so its kind of ridiculous when i see people say he isn't worth the price , He is 28 Not 33 for crying out loud and would be the perfect defensive partner / cover for Kompany . What makes it even more ridiculous is that most of the people who think Thiago silva is too old to join the team would rather have us buy a 30 year old RVP.

i♥city! said:
LoveCity said:

That's what this whole T.Silva transfer saga is all about but most people don't get it . PSG are building a team that could win the UCL in some years and players like Thiago Silva would be very important for ambitious teams . Its not about his age , its about the quality he brings to the team . We already have a team that can push for the UCL and compared to PSG , we are in a better position to achieve that dream but Thiago Silva might just be one of the 2 remaining pieces of the puzzle (a midfielder to cover for yaya being the final piece ) . He is currently rated as the best defender in the world right now so its kind of ridiculous when i see people say he isn't worth the price , He is 28 Not 33 for crying out loud and would be the perfect defensive partner / cover for Kompany . What makes it even more ridiculous is that most of the people who think Thiago silva is too old to join the team would rather have us buy a 30 year old RVP.

RVP was 29 last week. Take your point , although CBs generally play at the top level longer than strikers.................

LoveCity said:
Having a weaker domestic league helps in the Champions League when Porto won the Europa they had their league sewn up and could play first 11 every Europa match.

c-t-i-d-87 said:
We came in for an inordinate amount of criticism and even derision when we began to spend big, and our new players were publicly castigated for being mercenaries.

Historically, we've always been a big club, and domestically few can match our support. We play in arguably the strongest, most competitive league in the world - the envy of the rest of Europe.

So can someone please explain to me how, besides the money, we have anything in common with PSG? How PSG aren't subjected to the same abuse that we're used to?

What motives, besides money, does one of football's most highly rated defenders have in a move to PSG?

Thiago Silva could theoretically play for any of Europe's top clubs, he currently plays for one of them no less.

I know I'm open to claims of hypocrisy, but I'm baffled by this transfer, I really just don't get it, there is no logic to it. If Thiago Silva moves to PSG he'll be demonstrating an astonishing lack of professional ambition.

It is money and trophies, and that's the same for every club. Maybe a few like Barca and Athletic have ethnic and cultural draws.

Can't forget also that PSG is located in Paris, surely one of the most desirable places in Europe for a wealthy young man. It won't be a step down at all from Milan, he'll just have French rather than Italian supermodels throwing themselves at him. And if he has a wife, there probably aren't many women who would have a problem living in Paris.

Blue Haze said:
It is money and trophies, and that's the same for every club. Maybe a few like Barca and Athletic have ethnic and cultural draws.

Can't forget also that PSG is located in Paris, surely one of the most desirable places in Europe for a wealthy young man. It won't be a step down at all from Milan, he'll just have French rather than Italian supermodels throwing themselves at him. And if he has a wife, there probably aren't many women who would have a problem living in Paris.

If that's what interests him then he could get page3 girls over here !

Blue Haze said:
c-t-i-d-87 said:

Bollocks.

A Ligue 1 winners' medal vs a Serie A winners' medal?

... vs a La Liga winners' medal?

... vs a Premier League winners' medal?

French domestic football is frankly piss poor. A decision to decline genuine top flight domestic football for a significantly inferior league would demonstrate a shocking lack of ambition for a player of his ability.

You simply cannot dress it up to be something it isn't.

As your final comment touched upon, his motives for such a transfer would be wholly lifestyle and monetary - at the expense of professional ambitions and achievements.

And I speak like this from the perspective of a football fan, not exclusively as a City fan. I just find it particularly sad, not too much unlike Eto'o fucking off to Russia when he still had the ability to light up Europe's most competitive leagues.

It is however no-ones choice but their own how they see their future, I simply think football should always come first.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.