Thin Lizzy

Remember Bono saying that Phil would walk around Dublin in his leather pants looking like a rock star before he was a rock star.
I seem to remember as a young man at the old TV Club in Dublin, watching Moving Hearts and taking a breather as it was totally squashed inside and I’d had a fair bit to drink.
I went upstairs to a balcony at the back of the hall and was watching from there when I felt the presence of someone else beside me.
After a while I glanced beside me to see Phil Lynott standing about three foot from me.
‘How’s it going’ was as much as I managed, when a couple of other lads came up and started the whole ‘you’re Phil Lynott’ crap, mithering him, which he didn't seem to mind. He humoured them.

I left them to it.

Originally from Crumlin, he was in digs in Clontarf opposite Clontarf Castle when he started playing first. He lived along Sutton Strand much later after Lizzy had made it.

I was invited (indirectly) to a party that was held a couple of summers in the 80’s at a house along the Strand. It was an outdoor BBQ.
Bouncers at the gate and all.
Each year as a neighbour Phil would turn up.
He just mingled with everyone else.

Never got near him though as he was always surrounded by young ladies trying their best to impress him.

He was one cool dude. It was effortless to him. Loved by both lads and lasses, or as we say in Dublin young fellas and young wans.

I think people just found him approachable and still knew he was on a different plain of coolness to the rest of us.

Only ever saw them once in Dublin, myself.

Great band.

I seem to remember as a young man at the old TV Club in Dublin, watching Moving Hearts and taking a breather as it was totally squashed inside and I’d had a fair bit to drink.
I went upstairs to a balcony at the back of the hall and was watching from there when I felt the presence of someone else beside me.
After a while I glanced beside me to see Phil Lynott standing about three foot from me.
‘How’s it going’ was as much as I managed, when a couple of other lads came up and started the whole ‘you’re Phil Lynott’ crap, mithering him, which he didn't seem to mind. He humoured them.

I left them to it.

Originally from Crumlin, he was in digs in Clontarf opposite Clontarf Castle when he started playing first. He lived along Sutton Strand much later after Lizzy had made it.

I was invited (indirectly) to a party that was held a couple of summers in the 80’s at a house along the Strand. It was an outdoor BBQ.
Bouncers at the gate and all.
Each year as a neighbour Phil would turn up.
He just mingled with everyone else.

Never got near him though as he was always surrounded by young ladies trying their best to impress him.

He was one cool dude. It was effortless to him. Loved by both lads and lasses, or as we say in Dublin young fellas and young wans.

I think people just found him approachable and still knew he was on a different plain of coolness to the rest of us.

Only ever saw them once in Dublin, myself.

Great band.
Brilliant, love it .

Loved Thin Lizzy, saw them many times in my mid teens, usually Free Trade Hall, and one memorable gig at Belle Vue, King's Hall.

I and most of my mates were long haired, and denim n leather types into rock music. . But two good mates were 'trendies' into Jazz Funk with short hair. There was a lot of good banter on each others appearance and music.
One of them was a hairdresser in town, the other worked in Swans music shop on Oldham St too, so often met them after work for a few. (Usually ending up in Brahms & Liszt)

Besides his day job, the Swans worker played keyboards alongside another mate on drums, at Christ The King Catholic Club in Newton Heath on Saturday and Sundays, backing the 'turns'. Think Phoenix Nights, lol. (He did a stint similarly at The Tropicana club on Oxford Rd)
We would often call in on a Sunday to see them and have a pint with them, and cringe at some of the acts.

Then one day, Lynott himself turns up at Swans and tells Darren he wants to add keyboards to Lizzy, and someone had recommended him ..... Next time we see Darren, he is in leather strides and has grown his hair .... 'Jazz Funk, me? Nah!'

Met Lynott many times, always charming, and proud to say that one night, in Oscars bar in town (a story on its own about him in there that night too) I was ribbing him, that being Irish he was bound to be a rag, he called me a 'Blue C*nt'......

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.