Thin Lizzy

Love Lizzy and so pleased I got to see them on the Thunder and Lighting tour before it was too late. Does anybody still write great songs anymore like Dancing in the Moonlight, Wild One, Still in Love with you and Black Rose and I could go on and on. Whenever you here a Lizzy song you know instantly it's them. Got the latest 7 disc box set at the BBC recently but not had a chance to listen to it but I think I might just go and give it a play now. Phil was a one off and a special talent, as Shakespeare once wrote ' Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon ’em'. Well Phil was without doubt born great and he left a very strong and powerful legacy.

Surely the greatest of all Lizzy's song's?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyuB_9VsdGk[/youtube]

-dabz- said:
Dirty Harry said:
Phil Lynott actually taught an old mate to play the guitar (always refered to him as his prodigy) and also a little known fact :-) this prodigy went on to teach Bluemoons very own 'Dabs' to play too, that's some pretty fine pedigree to have.

How is BT? Have you heard from him lately?

The Lizzy influence is stamped all over my own playing, i owe it all to them.
[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/stevejamo/something-out-there[/soundcloud]

Top stuff mate and no, not seen him for a while Dabz, think he's in Spain now.

They've just released a box set called Rock Legends of six cd's and a DVD; plus a reprint of book of Phil's lyrics, a hardbound book containing copies of their tour programs and another brochure like book with various reminiscences about Phil and Lizzy by band members, producers and other rock stars. A very nice package curated by Scott Gorham.

The cd's include a greatest hits that is mostly single and radio edits and mixes; a set of radio sessions from the early days; 3 cd's that are mostly demos spanning their whole career; and a live cd drawn from their 1980 Chinatown tour with Snowy White, which I'm listening to for the first time as I write.

The demos are very good quality recordings and feature some really good performances; they also feature things like The Boys are Back in Town with largely different lyrics from the one we all know and love.

It's an expensive box but I am already glad I made the investment after only one play.

Edit: Just spotted on Amazon that it's now on sale for £50 more than they originally advertised it for. Looks like it may have been released in limited numbers.

Last edited:
Met Phil Lynott at Tenerife Airport when I was around 12 with my parents... chatted to us for a good while till the flight boarded and from what I remember he seemed like a really nice guy... I had no idea who he was at the time

The brightest stars, sadly, often burn for the shortest time.
A band largely forgotten, i'm guilty of this. Off to you tube to see if there's any decent footage.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.