This team won't be considered great until...

We are a great team, that said it will only be talked about by the pundits and media alike if it can win the following

- back to back league titles
- Champions league

In the eyes of the media and pundits this is how our club and team can achieve that status. We now have to go and do it.

champions league is much more harder than 70's european cup. united with ferguson over 20 years won it just twice. juventus did not win ucl since 1996! it is much more harder win ucl nowadays than you think. if we win it this year this team undoubtedly will be great.

Comparing this team with Forest of late 70s is very difficult. Totally different era, players are so much fitter, faster now. That Forest team had a mix of flair (Francis) craft (Robertson) and sheer blood and guts (Lloyd, Burns). They also invested in the world’s most expensive keeper. Clough was a genius and I hold him in the highest regard.

Yes it is difficult to compare across the decades but the fact that players are fitter and faster is one reason why this current City side would defeat that Forest side.

Lloyd and Burns wouldn't have known what to do with Sergio (aside from try to kick him). McGovern and Bowyer wouldn't be able to lay a glove on Merlin and KDB. Raz V Frank Clark or Leroy v Viv Anderson! Robertson would be stood watching as Walker charged past him time and again. Francis, Woodcock and Birtles would never see the ball.

Buying the world's most expensive keeper was a good move then and looks like it has been this year too.

Clough and Taylor were a great managerial partnership but genius would not be enough for them to have that Forest team regularly beat our current best XI. It wouldn't be a fair fight.

Yes it is difficult to compare across the decades but the fact that players are fitter and faster is one reason why this current City side would defeat that Forest side.

Lloyd and Burns wouldn't have known what to do with Sergio (aside from try to kick him). McGovern and Bowyer wouldn't be able to lay a glove on Merlin and KDB. Raz V Frank Clark or Leroy v Viv Anderson! Robertson would be stood watching as Walker charged past him time and again. Francis, Woodcock and Birtles would never see the ball.

Buying the world's most expensive keeper was a good move then and looks like it has been this year too.

Clough and Taylor were a great managerial partnership but genius would not be enough for them to have that Forest team regularly beat our current best XI. It wouldn't be a fair fight.
It’s a bit like saying Jesse Owens would get annihilated in each and every race against Usain Bolt. Clough and Taylor weaved magic in their era. Pep is on the threshold of doing the same with City in this era. That said, I think Anderson would be a close match for Sane - Anderson,in his Forest days,was one of, if not the fastest right backs. I’ll give you Frank Clark - not sure that’d be a close fight!
As an aside, I think Clough’s achievements are genuinely right up there with the very best - he took two teams from the 2nd tier and made them champions. Derby also got to the European Cup semi final and could and should have made the final. He was non-pareil in getting the best out of “average” players and making them a great team.

The “old” European Cup was much more difficult to win, by dint of the fact that you had to be league champion (or holder of the European Cup) to enter it. Then straight knockout, drawn against anyone and everyone; none of the convoluted bollocks you get now with seedings, TV schedules amending matches etc, etc. That’s what made it the zenith - no second chances and only played between champions.

I wouldn’t want a bye against anyone; but I’d love the champs’ league to mean just that - played between champions.
I don’t agree at all.

Getting byes in some rounds... playing minnows filled with farmers, teachers and joiners... plus in two leg knock out games you don’t have to win a single game until the final, just go though on away goals with 1-1 and 2-2 draws... now you HAVE TO win games to get out of the group and playing Barça Madrid Atlético Juve Napoli City Liverpool Spurs Chelsea Bayern Dortmund teams of the last number of years is way way head of getting byes and playing Östend and Argeș Pitești on a run to win it is no comparison

An old Brickie used to argue with me about football saying if you just picked a side up from the 60s and they played a team now they would win
I said if you took Best Pele Eusebio etc.. and gave them today’s fitness methods and so on yes the would be as good compared to their piers as then, but if you just took say the 66 World Cup winning side as they were then and they played the England side from last night it would be double figures to last nights team

It’s a bit like saying Jesse Owens would get annihilated in each and every race against Usain Bolt. Clough and Taylor weaved magic in their era. Pep is on the threshold of doing the same with City in this era. That said, I think Anderson would be a close match for Sane - Anderson,in his Forest days,was one of, if not the fastest right backs. I’ll give you Frank Clark - not sure that’d be a close fight!
As an aside, I think Clough’s achievements are genuinely right up there with the very best - he took two teams from the 2nd tier and made them champions. Derby also got to the European Cup semi final and could and should have made the final. He was non-pareil in getting the best out of “average” players and making them a great team.

Leroy is the fastest Premier League player so it's doubtful Viv would have been as quick but Leroy has the ability to go past anyone with his skill.

No one is doubting Clough's achievement or ability.

The “old” European Cup was much more difficult to win, by dint of the fact that you had to be league champion (or holder of the European Cup) to enter it. Then straight knockout, drawn against anyone and everyone; none of the convoluted bollocks you get now with seedings, TV schedules amending matches etc, etc. That’s what made it the zenith - no second chances and only played between champions.

I wouldn’t want a bye against anyone; but I’d love the champs’ league to mean just that - played between champions.

I disagree. There were a lot less games and some of the champions were not very good.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.