Thomas Tuchel | England Manager

Terrible appointment (as would Guardiola have been). International football is about our best against their best and that must include coaches as well. A developing nation choosing a foreign coach is one thing but an established international team is something else altogether.
I opposed Sven and Capello getting the job and I will oppose Tommy as well.
I just can’t ever see the French, Spanish or Germans ever appointing a non national to oversee their team and we shouldn’t either.

I wouldn't rule out other countries doing it if they felt there wasn't anybody suitable for the job from their own country.

Other countries like Spain have proven that you don't need a big Hollywood name to win things, but obviously their coach had enough ability so that the team goes into camp and recognises that the coach has something about them, which builds confidence.

I just can't imagine any of the England players thought the same about Southgate. Is there another English manager with the level of coaching that'll gain the respect of the players? That's a big part of it. Players aren't daft, they clearly see the difference going from training every week with Premier league managers and then being in camp with Southgate. Big name or not, you still need to make the players not feeling like they aremt going from Premier League level coaching to something much less. Is there many English managers available that'll give the players that feeling?

Some countries just have some quality coaches that arent major names. We seem to be lacking there, so maybe its worth bringing in a known winner. At least with Tommy Tuchel, they're walking into camp with a manager they know has gone head to head in a big final against someone like Pep and come out on top. Players have ego's, at least they know this guy is on "their level". Of course, people will point out it never worked with Capello, but it doesn't mean it can't. It hasn't worked with Gareth, Woy, Schteve etc either.

He's definitely not a "yes man" anyway. I'd say that's a good thing, but obviously with the risk of being a shit show too.

Last edited:
Terrible appointment (as would Guardiola have been). International football is about our best against their best and that must include coaches as well. A developing nation choosing a foreign coach is one thing but an established international team is something else altogether.
I opposed Sven and Capello getting the job and I will oppose Tommy as well.
I just can’t ever see the French, Spanish or Germans ever appointing a non national to oversee their team and we shouldn’t either.

Do you read the Mail?

IMG_1655.pngIMG_1654.jpeg

Surely they've already approached Pep and he's told them to stick it which is pleasing but I ain't having a German as England manager. It's embarrassing.
So who is the great English manager that could win on the big stage? Howe, Potter, Fat Sam, or is Howard Wilkinson still alive?
Tuchel has won loads of stuff as a top level manager and no living English manager comes anywhere near. I'd much prefer an English manager, but there isn't a good one available.
And at least it's not Klopp!!

I'm very surprised by this appointment. He doesn't seem to be a man that will play ball to the FA's rules at all.

But a brilliant appointment, one of the best candidates out there. I don't support the notion that the England manager needs to be English. We've got a lack of coaches and managers at the top level which either means all the work the FA has done is ineffective, or all the people getting involved in football in this country are ineffective. Southgate was in charge for a long time, lots of people have been through the FA coaching courses in that time but not one English manager has stood out in that period.

Eddie Howe hasn't won anything and the jury is out. Similarly Potter has had one top job and didn't impress, and subsequent managers at Brighton suggest his performance there wasn't as exceptional as it first appeared.

Tuchel has won a lot and been successful wherever he's gone. He's well respected by other top managers and the German coaching system has produced some brilliant young managers who are proving themselves across Europe and International football.

And it would be oh so English to finally win something with a German in charge. And Tuchel can certainly handle the racist headlines that will inevitably come his way, along with any ego's within the side that need a slap.

It's like the media are more annoyed that Pep didn't take the England job, it's not like England have never had a foreign manager before.

Great appointment. Probably the best on paper England could get.

There's no really good English managers out there, maybe Potter. But maybe didn't want it?

I always thought it was made for Pep. If he wants to manage a national team, it would work best for him. I can't see him managing Spain due to his staunch Catalan patriotism. He might do, but would they have him..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.