Thomas Tuchel | England Manager

I think he's a good appointment...

I'd like to know who the "England managers must be English" crew would have chosen?

And don't come at me with Brian Potter.

Signed the contract 8 days ago. So all those hacks begging for Pep to be the new manager over the last week are looking a bit silly now
Shows how in the loop with excellent sources and connections they really are.
99% of everything our sports media write is a mere fabrication of their own thoughts, biases and feelings - worthless!

i think it should have been an English manager. Preferably someone like Howe. We’ve spent huge amounts of money on St George’s park and creating an ‘English style’, with a clear pathway for young players and coaches. This appointment is the complete opposite of that. Tuchel football is very defensive.

It smacks of desperation. The most successful countries recently have recruited from within, Spain and Argentina appointing the u21 managers - it doesn’t have to be a proven winner at club level

But national teams employing foreign managers isn't out of the ordinary. It's been regular practise at World Cups for almost 100 years.

Argentina had a Mexican in charge at the 1934 World Cup, Italy had a Hungarian manager in 1954, Mexico have had Colombian and Argentinian managers at the last two tournaments, France had an English manager in 1934, Spain have had a French-Argentinian manager (1962).

On top of that, Belgium have had Roberto Martinez at the last two tournaments, Switzerland have had more foreign managers than Swiss managers at World Cups, and Klinsmann was in charge of the USA recently. England aren't alone in this.

The England women's team just won the 2022 Euros with a Dutch manager, Sarina Wiegman.

And, I have to ask, where do you draw the line? We've had players with no English ancestry who weren't born in this country playing for us in recent years (Raheem Sterling to name one). Tuchel has lived and worked in the UK for a time that was considerable enough for him to have roots and connections here.

And yes, as much as international football is about "Our best vs Your best", international football is also a reflection of the game played in each respective country. To that end, the English game is the most popular in the world because we welcome the world to our shores. International talent has enhanced our game for 30 years.

You've also got to consider that, yes, while football is about the XI players on the pitch, it's also about the organisation and structure behind the team. The FA, upper management, etc. Would winning a World Cup with Tuchel not be an example of fine English decision-making?
Great post. Posters often come out with statements like the one you replied to without doing any research. When you do it for them and blow them out of the water, you rarely receive a reply.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.