"Those were the days my friend" song

wearethesouthstand said:
LongsightM13 said:
Can anyone remember the full words and tune to the Sha la la la Summerbee song? Before my time but my dad said it was a Kippax classic
he came to city from swindon town sha la summerbee little did they know that he was best around sha la summerbee sha la la la summerbee who the f---ing hell is he? the greatest centre forward in history united 1 and city 3 georgie best has got vd
Was it to the Small Faces? My dad said there were two versions, similar words but different tunes

I asked about "Those were the days my friend" when I heard it at the quarter final win over Arsenal. I was reliably informed it was and always has been a Wolves terrace classic which was occasionally sang by Blues. As someone rightly pointed out we never took the Stretford End or the North Bank so it is a bit daft singing about it. I would love to hear the words reworked though to talk about Maine Road, the Kippax and the Parkside etc. We are seriously missing a song about Maine Road other then We are City. And those were the days...

with an A-G-G-R-O into the stretford end we go,
with a bottle, a brick and a barbed wire stick,
cos we are the kippax boot boys...

something like that anyway!

robsta said:
mancunial said:
anyone remember title song by keith west grocer jack, went like this, joe mercer joe mercer is true what people say were gonna win the football league, think that was 68 just before we won it?the opening words were prophetic count the days into years cos 82 brings many fears, he couldn,t have been more right?

Think full title was "Excerpt From a Teenage Opera"

Come on I was close enough!
goose72 said:
Isn't Grocer Jack from the Teenage Opera soundtrack?

bluejimmines said:
I heard it yesterday in the south stand but have never heard it at a match before, can anyone tell me how old it is, ?

cheers

Wolves anthem.

It's a song that's always been sung by the Wolves fans ...... i first heard it when i went to Molyneux back in the early 70's ....... and they're still singing it today!

(As has been said it was recorded by Mary Hopkins back in 1968)

Once upon a time, there was a tavern,
Where we used to raise a glass or two, or three or four!
Where we used to while away the hours,
Thinking of the things we used to do.
Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end,
We'd sing and dance for ever and a day.
We'd live the live we choose,
We'd fight and never lose,
For we're The Wolves, oh yes we are The Wolves!
La la la la la. La la la la
La la la laaa la, la la la la...

This is the oldest of the lot :

"2-4-6-8
Who do we appreciate ?
c - i - t - y
CITY !"

And for the away fans :

"There won`t be many going home
There won`t be many
Won`t be many
Won`t be many going home."

mancunial said:
anyone remember title song by keith west grocer jack, went like this, joe mercer joe mercer is true what people say were gonna win the football league, think that was 68 just before we won it?the opening words were prophetic count the days into years cos 82 brings many fears, he couldn,t have been more right?

Used to sing it about Jack Charlton as well

Big daft Jack, big daft Jack, is it true what people say ,you are a TWAT oh a whooo

Oh yes those where the days

mikeyboy said:
with an A-G-G-R-O into the stretford end we go,
with a bottle, a brick and a barbed wire stick,
cos we are the kippax boot boys...

something like that anyway!

that was wher we clapped our hand

With a knockneed chiken and a bowlegged hen
Aint had a fight since a dont know when
Dont give a wiggle and a dont give a wank
We r the Kippax boot boys
NA NA NA, NA NA NA, NA NA NA
NA NA NA, NA NA NA, NA NA NA
WE ARE THE KIPPAX BOOTBOYS

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.