Time for the CFG to get teams in Ireland and Scotland.

Delighted the Dubs won the all Ireland, can see no contradiction in following The Dubs and Bohs, anymore than following City and Lancy cricket.
I think you’ll find that those that play football(soccer) have no problem supporting their county in GAA. After all we probably all played GAA too at school.

You’ll find that the GAA when you get to a serious level though, frown upon their members playing football (soccer).

I played donkeys years ago at not that high a level with a Dublin footballer, who used to come out for pure enjoyment on a Sunday when he could. He couldn’t let on to the Dublin panel that he was doing this though, even though they were both just amateur sports.

People over here generally follow duel codes, as we say.

I currently work with an ex Dublin legend. He’s an Everton supporter.
Must ask him where that came from.

the list was of 30 or so players over 30 or so PL years - excluding Blanchfloer and Best (deliberately used to show how long talent has been produced in Ireland.

I mean, you're right about Bazunu and generally all Irish talent - Seamus Coleman cost about £50k - but English clubs are no longer allowed to sign players under 18 from abroad so Irish players are likely to stay for another couple of years - at their current level of infrastructure and coaching that could stunt their development.

That is fair - but Shelbourne proves the model is possible in Ireland.
CFG would be able to hold on to better talent and would invest most of their money in infrastructure and coaching - create a CFA in whatever City the club is from and work on developing talent and maximizing their value (both in total and for the club specifically). The fact the league is growing would be another positive in terms of CFG investment.
Give Damo some money to spend.
Shels are our local club.

Last edited:
Ireland, as an island, have consistently produced some top quality footballing talent. It didn't just start with Ferguson.
From Blanchflower and Best to Roy and Robbie Keane. Keepers like Jennings, Bonner and now Bazunu and Kelleher.
Players like Niall Quinn, Richard Dunne, Stephen Ireland, Shay Given, Glenn Whelan, Kevin Horlock, Steve Lomas, Terry Phelan, Damien Duff, Steve Finnan, Shane Long, Dennis Irwin, Seamus Coleman, Paul McGrath, Matt Doherty, James McCarthy, John O'Shea, Johnny Evans, Kevin Kilbane, Steve Staunton, Aiden McGeady and Nathan Collins prove there is a constant stream of PL level players - with occasional world-class talents.
Aiden McGeady didn't come out of Ireland. He was from Scotland but has Irish ancestry

Scotland have just won 11 World Cup & European qualification games in a row for the first time ever…so yes, that’s “bad enough”…
The CFG wouldn't be buying the national team so I can't see the relevance. Has league football in Scotland advanced that much, how have they all been doing in Europe in recent seasons?

I guess some top players playing in scotland have done very well in england and europe. And if the standard of scottish football improved by way of playing europe regularly, loaning prospects there would certainly help development of the players as well as the league.

But Celtic/Rangers would be against it (unless the partnership was with one of them) and therefore it might not be a goer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.