Time to ban guests

Yes I always notice there are too many guests than the members every fucking day . It would be nice to make bm members only.

Regarding banning guests, they're not really the problem. They're mainly served cached pages so it has relatively little impact on the server. The lag comes when loads of people try and post on the same topic at the same time, as it causes the database to lock.

I appreciate it can be frustrating, but things are much better than they were. In the past the site would regularly go down if we had 1000 people online at once. Yesterday we had over 2800 people online (a record) and the site didn't go down - it was just taking pages around 8 seconds to load.

It's not ideal, I know, but it's only for a relatively short spell immediately after a big match. To give an example, the average time for a page to load over the last 24 hours is just 0.3 seconds.

We're constantly looking at ways to improve performance, but sometimes it's not a bad idea to just to put the kettle on/pour a drink when the final whistle goes, and give it 5 minutes. It tends to be people all posting things like "yuuuuuuurrrrrrsssssss" when we've won (or "fuck off" when we lose) all at the same time that compounds the problem.

Regarding banning guests, they're not really the problem. They're mainly served cached pages so it has relatively little impact on the server. The lag comes when loads of people try and post on the same topic at the same time, as it causes the database to lock.

I appreciate it can be frustrating, but things are much better than they were. In the past the site would regularly go down if we had 1000 people online at once. Yesterday we had over 2800 people online (a record) and the site didn't go down - it was just taking pages around 8 seconds to load.

It's not ideal, I know, but it's only for a relatively short spell immediately after a big match. To give an example, the average time for a page to load over the last 24 hours is just 0.3 seconds.

We're constantly looking at ways to improve performance, but sometimes it's not a bad idea to just to put the kettle on/pour a drink when the final whistle goes, and give it 5 minutes. It tends to be people all posting things like "yuuuuuuurrrrrrsssssss" when we've won (or "fuck off" when we lose) all at the same time that compounds the problem.
Which is why I've suggested many times BM introduces a live chat box before/during/after matches (closing at a set time after the final whistle)
This for me would reduce the amount of venting posts as people would be able to quickly do it in the live chat.

The downside to this however is not as many advertising views.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.