Tinnitus help and advice - Tinnitus Awareness Week 1-7 Feb (P 15)

Suprised how many suffer from this, thought it was just me. I had it for the first time when i was 30 (9 years ago) as a side effect of the chemo i was having for testicular cancer. Something called cesplatin or something in the chem can cause it, but i was told it goes away after chemo, which it did. But it came back with a vengence about 3 years ago, and has been a permenant fixture ever since. Im sure it was worse to start with because it reduced me to tears, something the cancer didnt even do. But either ive got used to it or it subsided, because now i can go for weeks without even noticing about it, until i hear the word Tinnatus. So on a scale of 0-10, its probably a 5.

P S. Going along the lines of "little things that annoy you" thread, it bothers me when city line their mascots outside the stadium when the players arrive pre match, and have the mascots stand right in front of the loud speakers waving their flags.

My tinnitus is driving me mad! A constant high pitch ringing that gets worse in low pressure weather conditions. And I also suffer SAD that causes anxiety. Cold dark miserable pissing down shite weather. I fuckin' hate winter months and I'm struggling to cope. 1-30am and I'm wide awake ! : (

Get earing aids to replace the frequency that is missing to your earing loss, this is normally the cause of tinnitus, I've suffered for years with it, as my loss is around 8KHZS, it has really helped me and is the main reason I wear my aids, missing out on conversation in noisy places as well.
The brain replaces the missing noise.

https://www.tinnitus.org.uk/mindfulness-for-tinnitus

The Talking Therapies service in East Cheshire runs a mindfulness for long term conditions course and we have put a few people with tinnitus on this recently. I don't know what the results have been for them but anyone registered with an Eastern Cheshire CCG GP can access it- PM me if you want any more information. This applies to anyone with a long term health condition.

My tinnitus is driving me mad! A constant high pitch ringing that gets worse in low pressure weather conditions. And I also suffer SAD that causes anxiety. Cold dark miserable pissing down shite weather. I fuckin' hate winter months and I'm struggling to cope. 1-30am and I'm wide awake ! : (

Put something on like the radio or youtube ... play at a very low volume .... it'll distract your brain and let you get some sleep. thats how i manage mine.

Completely missed his thread (glad it's been bumped back up). Some interesting posts on here with links and suggestions I'll look into.

I've had it in my right ear for the past 15 years or so. I used to write, play, listen to music constantly with headphones (earlier days well into the early hours....but that's usual when you write and play music I guess)..I'm guessing this didn't help.
However, I have a slightly 'weird' shaped ear canal - any blast of cold air in there will set off ear ache which then escalates into a burst ear drum. I've had a fair amount of these and the pain is almost unbearable (never drive with the car window open now and when I run in winter, I always wear a hat).

My tinnitus is akin to the morning after going to a gig (and drinking which seems to acerbate this) but also the sound of being inside an aeroplane. Almost like a lower frequency noise (the aeroplane) and a much higher frequency. I've woken up a few times over the years in blind panic due to the proverbial (but almost literal) bee in my bonnet.
I always have background noise on (usually radio, music, tv)...and when it's turned off and I'm inside (especially current season when double glazing windows are shut) the silence does indeed rise in volume.
My sleep is generally awyful, but not sure if that's making the tinnitus worse rather than it being the cause.

I had an ENT clinic visit 15 years ago MRI scan - the works. The parting shot was pretty much 'buy an iPod'.
Definitely learned to live with it but I'd be interested in some of the links posted over the last few pages - new research sounds intriguing.
Oddly my hearing (tested then) was nigh on perfect. I swear I mishear things, but I feel that's more an opportunity to change the words I hear into something more amusing...like Les Dawson purposely playing the wrong notes for a laugh.

Good luck to everyone on here who suffers from it but there seems to be some helpful advice out there (I'll start with the apps).

Except it it ain’t going anywhere and the more you think about it the more you concentrate on it the worse it becomes! Headphones and when in bed have radio on or music but connect it to earphones that go under your pillow!

This is how I deal with it.

Completely missed his thread (glad it's been bumped back up). Some interesting posts on here with links and suggestions I'll look into.

I've had it in my right ear for the past 15 years or so. I used to write, play, listen to music constantly with headphones (earlier days well into the early hours....but that's usual when you write and play music I guess)..I'm guessing this didn't help.
However, I have a slightly 'weird' shaped ear canal - any blast of cold air in there will set off ear ache which then escalates into a burst ear drum. I've had a fair amount of these and the pain is almost unbearable (never drive with the car window open now and when I run in winter, I always wear a hat).

My tinnitus is akin to the morning after going to a gig (and drinking which seems to acerbate this) but also the sound of being inside an aeroplane. Almost like a lower frequency noise (the aeroplane) and a much higher frequency. I've woken up a few times over the years in blind panic due to the proverbial (but almost literal) bee in my bonnet.
I always have background noise on (usually radio, music, tv)...and when it's turned off and I'm inside (especially current season when double glazing windows are shut) the silence does indeed rise in volume.
My sleep is generally awyful, but not sure if that's making the tinnitus worse rather than it being the cause.

I had an ENT clinic visit 15 years ago MRI scan - the works. The parting shot was pretty much 'buy an iPod'.
Definitely learned to live with it but I'd be interested in some of the links posted over the last few pages - new research sounds intriguing.
Oddly my hearing (tested then) was nigh on perfect. I swear I mishear things, but I feel that's more an opportunity to change the words I hear into something more amusing...like Les Dawson purposely playing the wrong notes for a laugh.

Good luck to everyone on here who suffers from it but there seems to be some helpful advice out there (I'll start with the apps).
Pretty much that's what i have been told leave the telly on at night and distract myself when awake.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.