Tippy Tappy football

bondsman

Well-Known Member
Joined
10 Nov 2008
Messages
6,090
SuperYaya said:
I think sometimes we arse about too much with it though. Agueros goal came from a shot outside the box, I'd like to see us having more pops from that distance.

Agree 100% we do need to take more chances from outside the box united seem to score a lot from distance or from rebounds based on shots from distance
 

Freestyler

Well-Known Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
25,713
Location
David Silva's Wardrobe
Tevez set the first goal up, and he didn't even touch the ball.

He creates space and drags defences apart, and makes them so out of position at times.

It's whas he does best, alot of people won't like it but last night Tevez changed everything about the way we played last night.
 

BlueAnorak

Well-Known Member
Joined
31 Oct 2010
Messages
20,474
andrewmswift said:
In recent months there's been no end to the derision directed at our "tippy tappy" football.

Yet tonight, we turned in a dominant offensive performance with just that style. We scored all four goals through the middle of the pitch and it is where the majority of our other chances came. It was NOT width that created our goals tonight. And we've not heard a peep of complaint about it.

What this signals to me is that the frustration has not been that we were playing "tippy tappy" football, but that we weren't playing it well enough. This is due to Silva being horrifically off form, Balotelli erratic and Dzeko (who's not quite suited to this style anyway) largely non-existent.

We won, not because we played "Tippy Tappy" football but because we mixed it up like we did earlier in the season.
- Possession Football was NOT the be all and end all of our game.
- We played with more pace. Switching the ball across the line much quicker.
- We risked losing possession with some pass attempts in the final third.
- We got the ball forward on the counter attack much quicker. (When WBA attacked they really risked conceding).
- We ran at there defence (Sergio's 1st goal + other occurrences).
- We shot more often from 20+ yards when not closed down.
- We got more players in the box for crosses.

More please!
 

Gorton_Tubster

Well-Known Member
Joined
2 Apr 2012
Messages
9,547
Location
not really here
Freestyler said:
Tevez set the first goal up, and he didn't even touch the ball.

He creates space and drags defences apart, and makes them so out of position at times.

It's whas he does best, alot of people won't like it but last night Tevez changed everything about the way we played last night.


Absolutely agree about Tevez, I am not a fan of hiis anymore and want him out but tbh he is the example that we need of a hard worker, someone who will run and run even when it is a lost cause.
 

The Scarlet Pimpernel

Well-Known Member
Joined
16 Aug 2011
Messages
604
tramazi said:
Freestyler said:
Tevez set the first goal up, and he didn't even touch the ball.

He creates space and drags defences apart, and makes them so out of position at times.

It's whas he does best, alot of people won't like it but last night Tevez changed everything about the way we played last night.


Absolutely agree about Tevez, I am not a fan of hiis anymore and want him out but tbh he is the example that we need of a hard worker, someone who will run and run even when it is a lost cause.

But we need that combined with world class skills etc....hmm how of them are on the market?
 

VOOMER

Well-Known Member
Joined
21 Dec 2009
Messages
5,194
andrewmswift said:
In recent months there's been no end to the derision directed at our "tippy tappy" football.

Yet tonight, we turned in a dominant offensive performance with just that style. We scored all four goals through the middle of the pitch and it is where the majority of our other chances came. It was NOT width that created our goals tonight. And we've not heard a peep of complaint about it.

What this signals to me is that the frustration has not been that we were playing "tippy tappy" football, but that we weren't playing it well enough. This is due to Silva being horrifically off form, Balotelli erratic and Dzeko (who's not quite suited to this style anyway) largely non-existent.

It's also due to our ball pressure being significantly less intense than it has been when we've been on form this season. But tonight with a fourth high workrate, close down, defend from the front type player (Tevez) West Brom had great difficulty grabbing extended possession.

When you have four high work rate players (and I think Silva and Nasri are both overlooked in this regard), and add in a player or two here or there at certain times (Barry, Clichy, Yaya is also excellent in this regard etc) it creates real confusion in the opposing ranks and leads to turnovers in dangerous areas.

Yes, this all sounds common sense but it's what we've been missing. We've not harried our opposition enough, which even if it doesn't lead to a goal it establishes momentum in our favor and instills confidence in the team.

What this says to me is that when Tevez goes (as he will) and Dzeko too, we should be looking at players like Lavezzi, who also has a high workrate and closes players down consistently throughout matches. (I do not know if Hazard has a similar style, so can't comment.) In fact, rather than going after another big striker (we'll have Mario, who I expect we'll keep perhaps largely because we won't get an adequate transfer fee, and Guidetti will return) we should be targeting two quick, tippy tappy players, leaving us with something like this in terms of depth:

Aguero
Silva
Nasri
Lavezzi
Hazard
Balotelli
Guidetti

Is this overkill? I don't think so when you consider that its basically two CAM/wide attacking midfielders (Silva, Nasri), three out and out strikers (Aguero, Balotelli, Guidetti), and two wide forwards (READ: NOT TRADITIONAL WINGERS) (Lavezzi, Hazard).

Add in Martinez (who can slot in at CB if required, meaning we don't have to sign another "world class" CB if we keep Kolo, which I expect we will) when De Jong goes (he didn't sign a contract on 100,000 GBP, and his value has gone down, but he won't think it), and offload AJ if we can get 12 million GBP out of him, and our transfer dealings would not be that far from breaking even.

Out:
Tevez: 25 million
Dzeko: 20 million
De Jong: 12 million
AJ: 12 million

Total: ~70 million GBP

In:
Hazard: 30 million
Lavezzi: 25 million
Martinez: 15-20 million

Total: ~70-75 million GBP

Throw in the transfer fees for Adebayor, Santa Cruz, and the other hanger ons, and we'll also be looking to add a regista. And that would make this a COMPLETE, four fronts competing — and CL winners quality — squad.

And it'll play tippy tappy football.

I fully expect Tevez to be in a City shirt next season.
 

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader

Well-Known Member
Joined
9 Mar 2007
Messages
54,510
Location
Upwind of the Mangrove Swamp
There's nowt wrong with 'tippy-tappy' football as long as the control is up to Barca standards. Even David Silva, who at the beginning of the season had control par excellence, was allowing the ball to bounce off his foot last night. It also needs to be applied at a much quicker pace than we employ.
 

unexpected item

Well-Known Member
Joined
16 Jan 2010
Messages
3,460
Location
North
Team supported
Manchester City
As has been said, it's very rare that when Tevez receives the ball it bounces off him and we lose possession - the ball sticks to him allowing the attack to develop.

For all his qualities as a 'genius' footballer, despite his impressive goal tally, Balotelli has not adjusted to the speed of play, particularly when receiving the ball. How many times have you see him not take a pass cleanly and having to stretch to regain control, and often fouling a defending player and the team losing possession. I often wonder if Mario is so wrapped up in his idea of him being a wonderkid, that he feels he cannot be coached to improve - it's the arrogance of youth I guess.
 

LoveCity

Well-Known Member
Joined
22 Jan 2010
Messages
40,679
With our resources we should have the option of playing our preferred style but switching to the "Premier League Classic" (United/Spurs/etc.) style with a click of the fingers, which is why wingers are a must and I'm pretty sure will be signed given the amount of them linked with City

And £25million (or £25.6million to be precise) is accurate for Lavezzi as that's his current buy-out clause (€31million).
 

Don't have an account?

Register now!
Top
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.