Today's music

The songwriters are not as prevalent and prolific nor nearly as good as before.

Music that's played on the box and on the radio is purely designed for the dick as opposed to the ear or the brain as far as men go.

mancity1 said:
Lacks the substance , meaning and ideology of days gone by.

Doesn't mean its important or that today's music has less relevance to society's value system.

You might not agree.

Are our songwriters of today less relevant , less important and not as inspirational as those of the past?

Kindly discuss with examples if you like.
Dig and research and you will find many artists and bands that are writing and making music as good as it ever has been.

Caveman said:
mancity1 said:
Lacks the substance , meaning and ideology of days gone by.

Doesn't mean its important or that today's music has less relevance to society's value system.

You might not agree.

Are our songwriters of today less relevant , less important and not as inspirational as those of the past?

Kindly discuss with examples if you like.
Dig and research and you will find many artists and bands that are writing and making music as good as it ever has been.

I think this is the problem though you didn't used to have to look for it, i was going through the music channels last night and didn't come across one song i wanted to listen to.

I think mainsteam music for want of a better term has become much weaker

de niro said:
its shite. tuneless drivel where only swearing in it makes it a hit.

you just dont understand it :)<br /><br />-- Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:13 pm --<br /><br />
mancity1 said:
The songwriters are not as prevalent and prolific nor nearly as good as before.

Music that's played on the box and on the radio is purely designed for the dick as opposed to the ear or the brain as far as men go.

I just listened to Rollin In The Deep and Clocks, both well written songs imo and Im 60 and a musician

Surely there's not that much difference now as there ever was good music is there if your willing to look for it.

Motown had its fair share of boy or girl band manufactured rubbish but that's forgotten in the misty eyed nostalgia.

And as for it being easy with modern technology what a load of rubbish writing good music still requires the same skills it always has just the mediums change

I'd say current Western popular music is saying less purely because there's less to say.

In the early 1970's there was an American culture and society waiting for something like Marvin Gaye's What's Going On, and in the mid 1970's there was a British culture and society waiting for the Sex Pistols. Even as late as the 1990's black Americans still felt the need to speak out about their lives to gain a foothold (see: Public Enemy's Fear of a Black Planet and Goodie Mob's Soul Food).

Now advances in society, partly down to some of these records and political movements that grew alongside them, mean that we're generally more accepting of other people, and apathetic about our own problems as a society, resulting in people having less to moan about. You get the odd band trying to be clever by criticising the government with tired metaphors (see Enter Shikari's 'Arguing with Thermometers'), but when the only political things to write about are the current economic climate and horse meat being used in Tesco's food it's not exactly anything to get the creative juices going.

This means that artists have to look within themselves, or their past, for concepts and ideas to build an album around. Frank Ocean's Channel Orange from last year sort of touches on the struggles he had to face when he came out as gay, and Kendrick Lamar's good kid, M.A.A.D. city from last year too was a concept album about his family and his life growing up, but he doesn't really touch on politics. Like I said earlier, the young generation are too apathetic and are more interested in dancefloors and bright lights than what goes on in the House of Commons. This is why the charts are currently saturated with dance music, and dance music hasn't ever really been "about" rebelling.

Hard-Fi are a current band that tried to battle the government lyrically, but they ended up having ideas above their station and ran out of fresh material. The same thing happened to The Enemy, only they looked to condescending metaphors about working class people to get their message across. I'll just go back to my first point; artists are currently saying less because there's less to say. The music market and the world has changed. People are now interested in catchy singles they can dance to, which is fine. But it has resulted in a lack of deep lyrical thought and ideological expression through music.

Music (pop, folk and classical), painting, sculpture, theatre, opera, TV, cinema have all pretty well developed so much that they've become parodies of themselves.

But there is a lot of old music still out there to be discovered. A whole world of music that never gets played on Britsh radio and promoted as the music you SHOULD like. If you follow your own ear, you'll find stuff you like on YouTube.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.