Tommy Docherty RIP

Agnes Docherty, Tommy's first wife, became quite a close friend of my mother after moving with him to the Manchester area for him to take the job at United in 1972. Mum's best friend from school was Agnes and Tommy's G P in Hale; she, my mum and Agnes started to go to the theatre and make other trips together as a three. That lasted until Agnes died in 2005.

As a result of this friendship, I met Tommy a handful of times when I was a kid (this stopped for obvious reasons when he left United). He was always good company and generous with his time. Understanding that, at such an age, I was ill-equipped to indulge in football banter, he was actually quite complimentary to me about City as well. I have good memories of him.

By the way, I see mentions in the thread of Mick Docherty, Tommy's son, who had a brief spell at City in 1976. He played only 8 league games for the club - and two were in derby matches against his father's team (both defeats, unfortunately).

I think Tommy did always have respect for City as a club, despite the banter. I believe he applied twice to become manager. Once after he left QPR in 1980 and we sacked Allison and Book; we'd already tapped up John Bond, though, so Doc would only ever have been a fall-back option in case the agreement with Bond fell through.

The other was in the summer of 1983, when John Benson was fired after our relegation. Quite a few newspaper reports at the time claimed that the club was likely to appoint Docherty, who was very keen on the idea. IIRC, Billy McNeill threw his hat in the ring quite late in the recruitment process after arguing with the Celtic board, and maybe that scuppered the Doc's chances.

The excellent Simon Curtis tweeted a newspaper article from the time proclaiming Docherty as the leading candidate for the job - see below:

Agnes Docherty, Tommy's first wife, became quite a close friend of my mother after moving with him to the Manchester area for him to take the job at United in 1972. Mum's best friend from school was Agnes and Tommy's G P in Hale; she, my mum and Agnes started to go to the theatre and make other trips together as a three. That lasted until Agnes died in 2005.

As a result of this friendship, I met Tommy a handful of times when I was a kid (this stopped for obvious reasons when he left United). He was always good company and generous with his time. Understanding that, at such an age, I was ill-equipped to indulge in football banter, he was actually quite complimentary to me about City as well. I have good memories of him.

By the way, I see mentions in the thread of Mick Docherty, Tommy's son, who had a brief spell at City in 1976. He played only 8 league games for the club - and two were in derby matches against his father's team (both defeats, unfortunately).

I think Tommy did always have respect for City as a club, despite the banter. I believe he applied twice to become manager. Once after he left QPR in 1980 and we sacked Allison and Book; we'd already tapped up John Bond, though, so Doc would only ever have been a fall-back option in case the agreement with Bond fell through.

The other was in the summer of 1983, when John Benson was fired after our relegation. Quite a few newspaper reports at the time claimed that the club was likely to appoint Docherty, who was very keen on the idea. IIRC, Billy McNeill threw his hat in the ring quite late in the recruitment process after arguing with the Celtic board, and maybe that scuppered the Doc's chances.

The excellent Simon Curtis tweeted a newspaper article from the time proclaiming Docherty as the leading candidate for the job - see below:

Interesting article, were the board really expecting Clough to apply? Would have been interesting to see how him and Swales would have got on.
Always found Tommy Doc ok on local radio, also saw him as an after dinner speaker where he was quite entertaining, certainly more of a character than some who followed him. RIP.

Interesting article, were the board really expecting Clough to apply? Would have been interesting to see how him and Swales would have got on.

Clough was linked with the job in some press reports and it was claimed that he thought he'd taken Forest as far as he could so might welcome a new challenge. But at the time he was in talks with Forest over a new contract and I suspect he put the word out that he could be tempted away to give him leverage in the negotiations. Docherty would have taken the job like a shot if offered it.

Met him at a Sports mans dinner about 10 years ago, was a true gent and spoke very highly of City.

RIP Tommy.

I heard that he was given free access at City but was charged whenever he went to the swamp
Twats
Wouldn’t surprise me, I bet Ferguson had something to do with that. I will never forget live on air when Dochery was told that United were refusing to talk to Piccadilly because of a comment Tommy had made in the paper about Gary Pallister. Tommy was a likeable ex Rag manager (he knew how to pull our legs, but he could take the stick we gave him back) and he ranks above any of the others still living.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.