Tommy Doyle | On loan at Wolves

Pretty sure this loan move, as any other,has been thought through by the ones who are able to judge and who matter to TD.

Players get to their top level via different ways and at different ages. All I want is to see the lad in a City top one day and shows he’s able to do the job at the very high standard that is required nowadays. We are one of the top 8 teams in Europe and the number 1 in the PL.

All the best to the lad and I’m sure he gets whatever it takes out of his career. Wherever that may be. My guess? City.

Good player but massively overhyped. Anyone in the know will know…

Just out of interest who are the people in the know mate?

I know pep rates him and Jim casell rates him as well - who’s opinion I respect as much as anyone in youth football. Lots of others as well

What a weird loan. Reports of several decent championship sides wanting him yet we send him to bundesliga 2 for a year in oblivion.

We've got several CFG clubs that surely could have benefitted from him and we would have more control over his development if for whatever reason we couldn't get him a championship loan. Girona or Troyes have to be better options.

Hope he proves me wrong as I don't think any of the youth loves city more than this kid but can't see how any prospect that stands a decent chance of making it here will be spending their 20th birthday in the German 2nd division.

Pep is a massive fan of the German football and the transitional game in German football.

Tim Walter the HSV coach is very highly rated rising star in German football and was a youth coach under Pep at Bayern Munich.

If Tommy can succeed on this loan he will come back very well educated in midfield
positioning.

This is the area I think he struggles with, I distinctly recall Pep talking about him trying to transition from more of an 8 to a 6 and learning the new position.

Last edited:
The Hamburg Manager was the coach of Bayerns U17's from July 2015 to June 2017, then moved up to coach the reserves of Bayern from June 2017 to June 2018.

So from that Pep will know him from his final season at Bayern and I guess either stayed in touch or has at least followed his career (was manager of Stuttgart before rocking up at Hamburg)

Must admit some of the comments on here are quite baffling. Tommy has been seen as the stand out player in his age group for years. He's captained England at every level & has just been called up to the U21's for the first time in this break (not sure who is captain yet). City have given him a long term contract and he's just been on the bench for our last 2 PL games. You don't get to that stage with Pep without him thinking you've got a bit about you.

I think this loan will be great for him, yes the pressure is on him to stand out, but then it would have been had he gone to Swansea (where he was lined up to go earlier in the summer). He gets to experience a different culture & approach to Football and play Men's football rather than U23's all season (i guess Hamburg have given some assurances over playing time) in front of 50,000 fans.

I'm predicating he'll work hard, prove a few wrong on this thread and still fulfil his destiny of captaining the City first team one day

I can't believe you've beaten me to Tim Walters being a youth coach under Pep, I was absolutely convinced when my Hamburg supporting friend told me that today I'd blow everyone's minds with the connection!

I think the BL2 is a great place to be, Germany is at the cutting edge of coaching at the moment, no surprise the best 3 managers in England have a background in Germany and there's a lot of up and coming managers who either learned under or were influenced by Klopp, Tuchel and Pep now getting jobs in these second division sides.

Also you talked about playing infront of big stadiums, look at the sizes of some if these clubs down there. Hannover play in front of 50,000 and spent 50 years in the top division, Hamburg and Schalke (60,000) are the equivalent of Arsenal and Villa in Germany, 2 of the oldest most successful clubs who won loads 40 years ago.

Bremen are the 3rd highest team in the all time german football league table, they also play infront of a packed 45,000 stadium and are Hamburgs arch rivals.

FC Nurnburg and Fortuna Dusseldorf, 2 more sides who bring in 50,000 fans.

Hes gonna have the time of his life. Good coaching, massive stadiums with amazing atmospheres, hopefully regular game time to develop and the excitement and challenge of moving to a new country.

A much better way to spend a year than being in the Championship or League 1- Hamburg is much nicer than Luton or Hull as well!

Looking forward to following how he does.

Last edited:
The Hamburg Manager was the coach of Bayerns U17's from July 2015 to June 2017, then moved up to coach the reserves of Bayern from June 2017 to June 2018.

So from that Pep will know him from his final season at Bayern and I guess either stayed in touch or has at least followed his career (was manager of Stuttgart before rocking up at Hamburg)

Must admit some of the comments on here are quite baffling. Tommy has been seen as the stand out player in his age group for years. He's captained England at every level & has just been called up to the U21's for the first time in this break (not sure who is captain yet). City have given him a long term contract and he's just been on the bench for our last 2 PL games. You don't get to that stage with Pep without him thinking you've got a bit about you.

I think this loan will be great for him, yes the pressure is on him to stand out, but then it would have been had he gone to Swansea (where he was lined up to go earlier in the summer). He gets to experience a different culture & approach to Football and play Men's football rather than U23's all season (i guess Hamburg have given some assurances over playing time) in front of 50,000 fans.

I'm predicating he'll work hard, prove a few wrong on this thread and still fulfil his destiny of captaining the City first team one day
Good post,I'm now re-evaluatiing my stance;-)

Just out of interest who are the people in the know mate?

I know pep rates him and Jim casell rates him as well - who’s opinion I respect as much as anyone in youth football. Lots of others as well

you know pep rates him haha, what because you’ve heard him say something in a press conference haha

no academy player will break through at city for atleast another 4-6 years IMO maybe even more depending how long pep stays. A good few will get minutes in cup games but that’s it, the rest will be sold on or released.

pep just wants to win the champs league then he’s gone….

Not too sure how much of the Academy team you watch playing but to say no further Academy players will break into the first team given the talent is absolute nonsense...Mcatee will, Palmer will, Doyle at Sunderland will... just off the top off my head..
I said no academy players in the next 4-6 years depending how long pep stays.
Im not saying non aren’t good enough as I know they are. But pep isn’t bothered, his job is to win the champs league then he’s gone believe me

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.