Tommy Doyle | Signs for Wolves | will be confirmed Jul 1st

If he has the drive and hunger there is no reason to stop him being part of the squad and leaping over Lavia as the back up to Rodri/Fern.
He has the technical ability and work rate. Whether he can learn the tactical/game intelligence for that role will remain to be seen.

Either way he’s moved on from an unproductive experience at Hamburg to getting 6 months of hopefully regular starts at a very good level.

If he has the drive and hunger there is no reason to stop him being part of the squad and leaping over Lavia as the back up to Rodri/Fern.
He has the technical ability and work rate. Whether he can learn the tactical/game intelligence for that role will remain to be seen.

Either way he’s moved on from an unproductive experience at Hamburg to getting 6 months of hopefully regular starts at a very good level.
Doyle plays in (roughly) KdB's position, not Rodri's.

Doyle plays in (roughly) KdB's position, not Rodri's.

Which is the problem.

The truth is he's a box-to-box player, but we don't really have one of those, we have a 6 and two 8's, Bernardo maybe qualifying as a box-to-box in some games. Pep's been speaking about him having to learn to play as a 6 for 2 years now, it's where he played him on his debut and IMO the only way he plays for this club because there's a pile of attacking midfielders better than him.

That's what the Hamburg manager was talking about him needing to learn the things he doesn't do well, but instead he's bailed on that and gone to a system where he's got 2 other centre-mids, plus a back 5 behind him, ensuring he does no defensive work whatsoever.

I'm glad to see him playing well, but he's just playing a position he'll never play at this City, and it's likely he doesn't come back, which is a shame.

Last edited:
Which is the problem.

The truth is he's a box-to-box player, but we don't really have one of those, we have a 6 and two 8's, Bernardo maybe qualifying as a box-to-box in some games. Pep's been speaking about him having to learn to play as a 6 for 2 years now, it's where he played him on his debut and IMO the only way he plays for this club because there's a pile of attacking midfielders better than him.

That's what the Hamburg manager was talking about him needing to learn the things he doesn't do well, but instead he's bailed on that and gone to a system where he's got 2 other centre-mids, plus a back 5 behind him, ensuring he does no defensive work whatsoever.

I'm glad to see him playing well, but he's just playing a position he'll never play at this City, and it's likely he doesn't come back, which is a shame.

I watched Cardiff a few games ago and he was doing a lot of defensive work. To be fair it might have been a one off game. He could adapt and learn different positions - that comes with more game time and experience.

I liken Tommy to Gerrard in the way he plays. Box to Box, lot's of Energy & drive, a natural leader, great at striking a ball, crosses, set pieces etc...

I think this loan will be really good for his Development. To date he's only played 1,222 minutes of 1st team football in 25 appearances (as per the Transfer market website plus I've included EFL trophy/papa johns etc games he played for the U23's as that's against "proper" first teams) so hopefully he plays the majority of Cardiff's remaining 17 games and his quality and confidence will start to show even more

I watched Cardiff a few games ago and he was doing a lot of defensive work. To be fair it might have been a one off game. He could adapt and learn different positions - that comes with more game time and experience.
I think he means from a positional perspective. I haven't watch Doyle play for Cardiff but my guess is that by "a lot of defensive work" you essentially mean he works hard from a running perspective, which is definitely a vital and admirable quality for a midfielder, but under Pep our "central midfielders" are essentially playmakers whilst the real positional defensive work is done by the holding midfielder, by holding his position in transitions and whatnot. Doyle is not a good enough playmaker nor is he a good enough holding midfielder. So in that sense it's unlikely he'll ever have any significant squad role under Pep. Of course, as you say, he can always learn, but so far he seems unwilling or unable to learn the Fernandinho/Rodri role which is realistically essentially the only role he could play in our team.

I wonder if he could be turned into a decent inverted fullback a la Zinchenko, though?

I think he means from a positional perspective. I haven't watch Doyle play for Cardiff but my guess is that by "a lot of defensive work" you essentially mean he works hard from a running perspective, which is definitely a vital and admirable quality for a midfielder, but under Pep our "central midfielders" are essentially playmakers whilst the real positional defensive work is done by the holding midfielder, by holding his position in transitions and whatnot. Doyle is not a good enough playmaker nor is he a good enough holding midfielder. So in that sense it's unlikely he'll ever have any significant squad role under Pep. Of course, as you say, he can always learn, but so far he seems unwilling or unable to learn the Fernandinho/Rodri role which is realistically essentially the only role he could play in our team.

I wonder if he could be turned into a decent inverted fullback a la Zinchenko, though?
I think your point about being unwilling or unable to learn is a bit harsh. He might be very willing and able to do that role. He’s barely played or been given a chance at that. Pep also adapts and who knows he might like that type of midfielder going forward.

by defensive work I meant tracking back, pressing, tackling. He’s not a defensive midfielder as you say, but I reckon he could do a job in gundogan/ de Bruyne position. Who knows yet though, too early to say, especially as he is only just playing first team football now

I think he’s got the talent and potential to go very far

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.