Tommy Hutchison book

Really looking forward to reading this as Tommy is cracking fella who had a great career. I caught up with him earlier this year for a Tales of Blue and Tommy, like many blues wish he could have been with us much earlier in his career, he speaks very highly of his time with us.

I sent him a cheque as a thank you for his and to have a dinner on me, which he sent back with 'No Need, Once A Blue, Always A Blue' written on the back.

Great interview.
Didn't know Hutch was voted ' player of the century' for Coventry.
Also didn't know he first ever appearance at Wembley was for Scotland..as a sub against England in a 5-1 defeat,which I think must have been 1975,when Colin Bell and Gerry Francis bossed midfield and Bell scored a cracking goal.

His memory of his time at City is fascinating,particularly his opinion that in training certain players didn't take it seriously enough at the start..but others like Tueart were great trainers.

Tommy Hutch,Gerry How and Bobby Mac were a huge part of one of my fav City sides..and another thing I'd forgotten was that the trio were all cup tied for the league cup semi final against Liverpool....who of course narrowly beat us with the help of Alf grey...a crushing blow at the time.

Last edited:
Tommy Hutch,Gerry How and Bobby Mac were a huge part of one of my fav City sides..and another thing I'd forgotten was that the trio were all cup tied for the league cup semi final against Liverpool....who of course narrowly beat us with the help of Alf grey...a crushing blow at the time.
Mine too mate, one of the periods I remember pretty clearly, considering I wasn’t keen on Bond becoming manager (thought he came across very arrogant) he then brought in what I and many others considered good Pro’s but a bit of ‘Journey Men’ about them, but my wise old neighbour George probably said it best when he said “we’re a young team and he’s bought experience in every department, we need that at the moment”.
Of course they all (maybe less so Bobby) went on to be very similar to the Gareth Barry type players in that you never realise how good they are and what they bring to the table until you see them play for you, Hutch and Gerry I thought were brilliant for us, I still remember Hutch ripping Kevin Ratcliffe apart one game, so much so he ended up Nutting Hutch in frustration and getting sent off.

I was actually at that Liverpool semi, remembered by me mostly because it was the first time I realised scousers were a different breed to anyone else, and not in a good way, but I also remember being at the FA cup replay against Everton, we fuckin leathered them, near the end we were 3-1 up and they had a chance and I remember some bloke behind me shouting “don’t let them score again, it’ll make it look like this game was actually close”, odd I still remember that from over 40 years ago yet couldn’t tell what had for tea two nights ago.

Mine too mate, one of the periods I remember pretty clearly, considering I wasn’t keen on Bond becoming manager (thought he came across very arrogant) he then brought in what I and many others considered good Pro’s but a bit of ‘Journey Men’ about them, but my wise old neighbour George probably said it best when he said “we’re a young team and he’s bought experience in every department, we need that at the moment”.
Of course they all (maybe less so Bobby) went on to be very similar to the Gareth Barry type players in that you never realise how good they are and what they bring to the table until you see them play for you, Hutch and Gerry I thought were brilliant for us, I still remember Hutch ripping Kevin Ratcliffe apart one game, so much so he ended up Nutting Hutch in frustration and getting sent off.

I was actually at that Liverpool semi, remembered by me mostly because it was the first time I realised scousers were a different breed to anyone else, and not in a good way, but I also remember being at the FA cup replay against Everton, we fuckin leathered them, near the end we were 3-1 up and they had a chance and I remember some bloke behind me shouting “don’t let them score again, it’ll make it look like this game was actually close”, odd I still remember that from over 40 years ago yet couldn’t tell what had for tea two nights ago.
I remember the fa cup quarter replay match ( after the 2-2 draw at Goodison) but im realpy frustrated because of how little I've been able to find out about the match over the years.
I remember hearing the final score on the wed nite back in 81,I recall reading the The Sun's match report ,which I've still got as a cutting stored away ,but the you tube footage lasts 2 mins long and is poorly commentated on by granada ..it was a huge match,in front of a huge solld out crowd at Maine rd....just wish I could find more footage of it.

One of my best City mates 1st ever match was the above and he recalls how brilliant the atmosphere was.he was on the kippax.
I'm envious as my 1st match had been a 4nil drubbing by Forest a year earlier....not quite the same story to tell,over the years..

great post. Agree with it all but must also add that Bobby Mac gave us a new dimension - a goal scoring left back!!
Alf Grey is a bastard

Thinking back to the John Bond,John Benson,John Sainty days...

I can still remember us signing the experienced trio of Hutch,Gow and McDonald...I was an excited out of town Blue teenager.i had seen clips of Hutch playing for Coventry on tv and knew he was a high stepping left winger,knew he started at Alloa in Scotland and had enjoyed a long career at Coventry.i also knew, by the Football Cards I collected ( free bubble-gum!)that Gow was a hard tackling central midfield player at Ashton Gate..Thinking back now he was prob a hard drinking ,heavy rock fan...

I knew little about Bobby Mac but soon did.swashbuckling ,over -lapping, goal scoring left back.

I never saw Hutchinson play live for City,one of my biggest regrets.

I loved his comment in the video interview where he remembers saying to his team mates,keep the ball if we re winning,dont attack..give the ball to me at any time,in any situation, i,ll keep it,i know im going to get kicked, i dont care,just give it to me and i,ll retain posession.

Maybe Hutch would have flourished under Pep..? ;)

Forgot about [Bobby McDonald as stand-in 'keeper] as well.what match was it?

Watford at home, the third match of the 1982/3 season. Corrigan was badly injured in a collision with their winger Nigel Callaghan in the third minute, so Bobby played almost the whole game in goal and kept a clean sheet.

He made a couple of pretty good saves, as well, though he also enjoyed some outrageous good fortune at other times. And with, what, maybe 10 or 15 minutes left, we got a corner at the Platt Lane end which was flicked on and Dennis Tueart threw himself forward to head the ball past Steve Sherwood for the afternoon's only goal.

Cue pandemonium in a fantastic atmosphere (even though the official gate had the ground around half-full). Crowds are usually at their best when their team puts in a battling display against the odds.

It was the last game I ever attended with my late paternal grandfather, and City were thoughtful enough to make it an occasion that would last long in the memory. Who'd have thought that afternoon that Watford would end the campaign as runners-up to Liverpool while we'd go down?

I remember the fa cup quarter replay match ( after the 2-2 draw at Goodison) but im realpy frustrated because of how little I've been able to find out about the match over the years.
I remember hearing the final score on the wed nite back in 81,I recall reading the The Sun's match report ,which I've still got as a cutting stored away ,but the you tube footage lasts 2 mins long and is poorly commentated on by granada ..it was a huge match,in front of a huge solld out crowd at Maine rd....just wish I could find more footage of it.

One of my best City mates 1st ever match was the above and he recalls how brilliant the atmosphere was.he was on the kippax.
I'm envious as my 1st match had been a 4nil drubbing by Forest a year earlier....not quite the same story to tell,over the years..
The 3-1 replay at Maine Road was a fantastic occasion and when we scored those 2 goals in quick succession I’ve never heard it as loud (a great regret of mine is I missed King Colin’s comeback).
I was 16 and it was incredibly tense, exciting and nerve racking at the same time played on a sodden pitch. We’d not had a winner takes all game like this where the prize was so near for a while really since the 76 league cup run I think. That’s what made it so exciting for me and City played pretty well that night.
And Bobby Mac got 2 goals didn’t he? I’m sorry you never got to see Tommy Hutchison play because he was a good player who made the most of his strengths. What was great especially when he was on the Kippax side was he always wanted the ball in tight spaces, didn’t have great pace (he was knocking on a bit) but had a great cross on him and like Robertson at forest, he could conjure a cross with half a yard. Wish we could have had him a few years earlier

Watford at home, the third match of the 1982/3 season. Corrigan was badly injured in a collision with their winger Nigel Callaghan in the third minute, so Bobby played almost the whole game in goal and kept a clean sheet.

He made a couple of pretty good saves, as well, though he also enjoyed some outrageous good fortune at other times. And with, what, maybe 10 or 15 minutes left, we got a corner at the Platt Lane end which was flicked on and Dennis Tueart threw himself forward to head the ball past Steve Sherwood for the afternoon's only goal.

Cue pandemonium in a fantastic atmosphere (even though the official gate had the ground around half-full). Crowds are usually at their best when their team puts in a battling display against the odds.

It was the last game I ever attended with my late paternal grandfather, and City were thoughtful enough to make it an occasion that would last long in the memory. Who'd have thought that afternoon that Watford would end the campaign as runners-up to Liverpool while we'd go down?
Good post. It was a great result for us and was really Tuearts first game after his season ending injury the season before.
But it was funny with Bobby Mac in goal - do you remember? He seems to lose his bearings at times and I think the ref had to point something out to him. Wasn’t he scared of bouncing the ball so he seemed to keep clearing it from his goal line as opposed to the edge of the area so it only went about 30 yards and Watford had a good team in those days.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.