Tommy Hutchison book

We did get back, 23/3/1986

Full Members Cup Final
That's true, was thinking more about major finals. We did have rather important match at Wembley in 99 also didn't we .
Mad game that Full Members Cup Final wasn't it! Not really quite in the same league as 81 when it came to disapointments , and certainly a much better game than when we played Chelsea in the Champions League Final for sure!

After the final whistle on the Thursday I remember the City fans at the tunnel end singing 'We'll be back'. Like yourself I thought we'd be back the next year(or maybe the year after)
When I got home even my dad said he was at the previous FA Cup Final we'd lost in 55 and we went back and won it the next year.
He also menioned the much more recent League Cup Final when lost in 74 and won it 2 years later!
History didn't repeat itself though did it unfortunately, as we all know!
Onto Tommy Hutch himself, exciting player to watch and a great 'football brain'. He didn't seem particularly fast as a winger, just very skilful and good at crossing !(as wingers should be I suppose!!)Shame we got him so late ,to this teenager at the time he also looked in his early 60s not 30s.
Looking back to the 81 Final, like many other City fans who are old enough to remember that day I think ' if only defenders had thought of that lying down at free kicks thing (?) ' 40 odd years earlier!

For some reason my only memory of after the replay was standing in a long queue for one of the specials home and this guy was going up and down the line telling everyone to cheer up and telling Bobby Sands jokes.

That's true, was thinking more about major finals. We did have rather important match at Wembley in 99 also didn't we .
Mad game that Full Members Cup Final wasn't it! Not really quite in the same league as 81 when it came to disapointments , and certainly a much better game than when we played Chelsea in the Champions League Final for sure!
Yes, I’m only joking. It was a rough ride but blimey I wouldn’t change it for the world.

Apparently Gary Mabbutt also scored at both ends in the 1987 Cup Final whilst playing for Spurs.
I remember watching that game at a friend's house (we were all supporting Coventry because of the Dave Bennett conection) but don't remember Mabbutt scoring an own goal.
Coventry vs Spurs 1987 FA Cup Final on ITV4 at 7.55 pm this evening.
(ITV Football Classics). Ch.26 on Freeview.
Let's all laugh at Spurs !!!

I thought all Coventry games kicked off 15 minutes after everyone else even Saturdays at 3.15.
That did happen for a few seasons under Jimmy Hill. It gave those working a Saturday shift in the factories a bit of extra time to get to Highfield Road. It also meant that the supporters club could open and serve alcohol just as the game finished (old licensing laws), thus persuading people to stay and spend their money in the club.

Here is another extract from the book. As a lot of the talk on here is about the cup final, I thought it might be nice to choose a piece from that section. Tommy is describing his goal.

“Tottenham had a very good team with some world-class players. The pick of them were the midfield pairing, Osvaldo Ardiles and Glenn Hoddle. Gerry Gow had been detailed to sit on Ardiles and we were supremely confident that, come 4.50pm, the cup would have blue ribbons on its handles. Both teams started the game well and made chances but we gradually got on top and started to dominate. It was only deserved when we took the lead in the 30th minute. The goal may have been expected; the scorer and the manner in which he scored were not!
The ball was worked out to the right and, when Kevin Reeves laid it back into the path of Ray Ranson, I knew a first-time cross was coming in. It’s ironic that in all those crossing and shooting sessions we had on the training pitch, I was one of the ones doing the crossing. Now, as Ranson shaped to cross the ball, I found myself on the edge of the box. As all good strikers are taught, I ran across my marker. Looking back, I saw the ball arcing its way to me.
As it arrived, I dived and flicked it with my head intending to send it on to one of our forwards behind me at the far post. Instead, I caught it wrong. As I hit the floor, to my delight, I saw the ball rocket past Milija Aleksic’s outstretched hand and into the top corner of the net. If you watch the replay of the goal, it looks like the ball went where I intended, but I am confessing now that this was not the case! Nevertheless, I was honoured to have scored in such a prestigious game. I found out later that it was the 150th goal to have been scored in a cup final.”

Excerpt From
Hutch, Hard Work and Belief
Tommy Hutchison and Kevin Shannon
This material may be protected by

If you would like to read more of the book you can order it from the link below.

https://forms.gle/EQgU6wVsEz5YK4xP8

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.