Tony Books late 70's team?

ifiwasarichfan said:
It was a great side but the truth is we were a long way short of the Mickeys.

WHAT??????
The Mickeys won the league by one point....... City v Liverpool at home.... City winning 1-0 with a minute to go and Dave Watson puts the ball past Corrigan...... had City won..... one point off Liverpool and one more to City.... CHAMPIONS

I know the game was in December or January so anything could have happened after that game.... but no way were we way short...

Alex the Blue said:
Hell of a good team but the truth is Liverpool pretty much had the title sewn up with about 5 or 6 games to go but they took the foot of the pedal during the run in. No real chance of City ever catching the scousers that year.

That's not really true, they only pulled away after we lost that horrible game at Derby 4-0, the one where they had to repaint the penalty spot. We then drew at Villa and drew at home to Everton as well, points thrown away that would have put pressure on Liverpool.

Here's the table before that Derby match, us and the dippers level on points with them having a game in hand.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/division-one-old/1976-1977/table/1977-04-29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.statto.com/football/stats/en ... 1977-04-29</a>

Alex the Blue said:
Hell of a good team but the truth is Liverpool pretty much had the title sewn up with about 5 or 6 games to go but they took the foot of the pedal during the run in. No real chance of City ever catching the scousers that year.

I think you need to look at the history of that season 1976/77.
Always remember Big Dave Watson scoring an own goal at City,in the last minute,giving LFC a very lucky draw that game.Liverpool won the League by a point !!

oakiecokie said:
Alex the Blue said:

Always remember Big Dave Watson scoring an own goal at City,in the last minute,giving LFC a very lucky draw that game.Liverpool won the League by a point !!

Agree oakiecokie
The final game of the season, City went into the day with a chance of winning the title by winning at Coventry City - which we did 1-0 (Jimmy Conway - I was there aged 14) - however, Liverpool (I think) drew with West Ham in an earlier kick off which guaranteed them the title before City kicked off.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
oakiecokie said:
Alex the Blue said:

Agree oakiecokie
The final game of the season, City went into the day with a chance of winning the title by winning at Coventry City - which we did 1-0 (Jimmy Conway - I was there aged 14) - however, Liverpool (I think) drew with West Ham in an earlier kick off which guaranteed them the title before City kicked off.
I was at Coventry that day strange atmosphere cos i'm pretty sure we'd already lost it we'd been hammered at Derby a couple of weeks before on a shitter of a pitch and i'm sure the scousers had another game to play against Bristol City which they lost 2-3 couldn't see that happening if they would have needed a result.

i kne albert davy said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
oakiecokie said:

Agree oakiecokie
I was at Coventry that day strange atmosphere cos i'm pretty sure we'd already lost it we'd been hammered at Derby a couple of weeks before on a shitter of a pitch and i'm sure the scousers had another game to play against Bristol City which they lost 2-3 couldn't see that happening if they would have needed a result.

All I remember is by the time City kicked off at Highfield Road, Liverpool had won the league by winning or drawing (pretty sure it was drawing) at West Ham in a lunch time KO and no idea why in those days they KO'ed at lunch time!!

Edit: Liverpool won it on City's last game of the season against Cov, with a game in hand.

30 April 1977: Liverpool effectively end Ipswich Town's title challenge by beating them 2–1 at Anfield. Manchester City crash to a 4–0 defeat at relegation-threatened Derby County, and are now two points behind the Reds having played a game more. Meanwhile, half the clubs in the division remain in danger of relegation: Bristol City are bottom, but just five points separate the ten teams immediately above them, with Tottenham Hotspur in most danger, having played more games than their rivals.[1]

7 May 1977: Tottenham Hotspur's first relegation since 1935[6] is virtually guaranteed after the Londoners are thrashed 5–0 at Manchester City.[1]

14 May 1977: Liverpool are confirmed champions of the Football League First Division for the second season running and for the tenth time in total[8] following a 0–0 draw with West Ham United. Manchester City finish second. Tottenham Hotspur's relegation is confirmed, but in an extraordinarily close finish to the season, six other clubs are still fighting to avoid the other two relegation spots.[1]

16 May 1977: Stoke City lose 1–0 to Aston Villa and are relegated. West Ham United and Queens Park Rangers win their last matches of the season to survive, and Bristol City keep their hopes alive by beating Liverpool 2–1. They go into their last match level on points with Coventry City and Sunderland.[1]

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
i kne albert davy said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Agree oakiecokie

All I remember is by the time City kicked off at Highfield Road, Liverpool had won the league by winning or drawing (pretty sure it was drawing) at West Ham in a lunch time KO and no idea why in those days they KO'ed at lunch time!!

If the game was at Anfield,I wonder if it was due to the race meeting ?

oakiecokie said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
i kne albert davy said:

Just done a bit of googling! The Grand National was 2nd April, the Cov / City and Liverpool / Hammers game was 14th May.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
oakiecokie said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:

Just done a bit of googling! The Grand National was 2nd April, the Cov / City and Liverpool / Hammers game was 14th May.

Hey mate sorry about this !!! Just realised that I ain`t yet responded to you ref your PM ,about your book and Alan & Glyns signatures.
I`ll be in touch later today as I`m knackered.
oakie.
Glad you delved a bit into the books ref the early KO time.
Have a look at the thread I`ve done about stats.Its brilliant mate.or have you beaten me to it and thats where you`ve got all your results/answers from. ;)

oakiecokie said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
oakiecokie said:

Hey mate sorry about this !!! Just realised that I ain`t yet responded to you ref your PM ,about your book and Alan & Glyns signatures.
I`ll be in touch later today as I`m knackered.
oakie.
Glad you delved a bit into the books ref the early KO time.
Have a look at the thread I`ve done about stats.Its brilliant mate.or have you beaten me to it and thats where you`ve got all your results/answers from. ;)

No probs about the PM, look forward to the reply.
As for the thread about the stats... can you provide a link.... I'm a bit tipsy on a thursday night as i dont work Friday / Saturday ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.