Tony Books late 70's team?

cibaman said:
We just weren't consistent enough in those days. A few of our players could be great one week, anonymous the next. And in those days you rarely used more than 14/15 players all season.

True but exciting to watch. Tuert was one who performed better at home.

tony book done a great transformation in making the mid 70's team play the same type of attacking football which made us so exciting and successful.

we were fuckin great.

one of malcolm allison's best quotes when he signed on the dotted line for the second time "I looked at him, saw the comb-over, the England blazer and the suede shoes and thought 'this isn't going to work.

i truely blame swales for bringing allison back after becoming chairman in 73.

34yzqc7.jpg

bunch of dicks!

Mick Docherty (signed from Burnley at the end of the previous season) started the season at RB but lost his place and was sold to Sunderland.

Kenny Clements was the regular RB for the rest of the season.

Oakes left in the summer of 1976 to become player-manager at Chester.

Channon didn't sign until the summer of 1977.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
oakiecokie said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
All I remember is by the time City kicked off at Highfield Road, Liverpool had won the league by winning or drawing (pretty sure it was drawing) at West Ham in a lunch time KO and no idea why in those days they KO'ed at lunch time!!

If the game was at Anfield,I wonder if it was due to the race meeting ?

Just done a bit of googling! The Grand National was 2nd April, the Cov / City and Liverpool / Hammers game was 14th May.
Unless I'm going senile we beat Ipswich (Watson's bullet header from a corner into North Stand net) on Grand National day.
This pretty much left the title between us and Liverpool and we blew it!

That last day Coventry game was meaningless for us title-wise but massive for Cov as their defeat left them needing something from their last game which as luck would have it, was away at Bristol City.
A draw would keep both teams up and relegate Sunderland who had finished their fixtures already.
Guess what happened there?

petrusha said:
Mick Docherty (signed from Burnley at the end of the previous season) started the season at RB but lost his place and was sold to Sunderland.

Kenny Clements was the regular RB for the rest of the season.

Oakes left in the summer of 1976 to become player-manager at Chester.

Channon didn't sign until the summer of 1977.

I must be losing it, how could I forget Kenny! Ta, petrusha.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
oakiecokie said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
All I remember is by the time City kicked off at Highfield Road, Liverpool had won the league by winning or drawing (pretty sure it was drawing) at West Ham in a lunch time KO and no idea why in those days they KO'ed at lunch time!!

If the game was at Anfield,I wonder if it was due to the race meeting ?

Just done a bit of googling! The Grand National was 2nd April, the Cov / City and Liverpool / Hammers game was 14th May.
Unless I'm going senile we beat Ipswich (Watson's bullet header from a corner into North Stand net) on Grand National day.
This pretty much left the title between us and Liverpool and we blew it!

That last day Coventry game was meaningless for us title-wise but massive for Cov as their defeat left them needing something from their last game which as luck would have it, was away at Bristol City.
A draw would keep both teams up and relegate Sunderland who had finished their fixtures already.
Guess what happened there?

That team was a fine side, and it is totally true that Allison "ripped the heart out of it", as one post put it, with his barmy ideas and crazy opinions of players.
As for nearly signing Ian Rush, this is the true story: Alan Oakes, then boss of Chester, tipped Allison off about a young striker he had called Rush - was he (Allison) interested? MA came to have a look at him in action, and told Oakes "I don't rate him - he'll never be a First Division player" and then left the ground. Fact.
What a good job we didn't sign Rush then. He wasn't a patch on Allison's master signing - Bobby Shinton.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.